BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow BMW Megacity Electric Car to launch in 2013

Follow our Megacity/Project i/Isetta coverage here: http://www.bimmerpost.com/projecti/.

BMW Group: Megacity Vehicle to launch in 2013

4.22.2010 | Press Release

Munich / Beijing. With the launch of its Megacity Vehicle in 2013, the BMW Group will be bringing its first series-production electric-drive model to market. “With this innovative vehicle, designed from the ground up, we will be creating new benchmarks for electric mobility from 2013 on. Our Megacity Vehicle will be significantly lighter than conventional cars and, in terms of sustainability, will set a new standard across the entire value-added chain,” said Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, on Thursday ahead of the Auto China 2010 show in Beijing.

The Megacity Vehicle will be a zero-emission urban car for the world’s metropolitan regions. It is currently being developed as part of project i and will be available from 2013 under a sub-brand of BMW. When it comes to the choice of materials, the company is broaching entirely new territory. This is because weight plays a pivotal role in the range achievable by electrically driven vehicles. The ultra-light yet high-strength composite CFRP (carbon fibre-reinforced plastic), for example, plays a significant part in the materials mix.

“This vehicle will radically alter the motor industry as we know it. The BMW Group is currently the only company that will be launching a volume-production vehicle on the market that features carbon fibre-reinforced material,” explained Reithofer. “We were among the first manufacturers to pick up on the trend towards electric mobility and to act accordingly. More and more people around the globe are very keen on electric driving. Research shows, moreover, that more than half of the population around the world already live in conurbations,” Reithofer added.

Name:  P90059906.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  142.3 KB

The BMW Group has been gleaning insights into the day-to-day use of electric vehicles since mid-2009, when it launched a global field test involving more than 600 MINI E models. During the test phase some 50 MINI E cars are also being delivered to customers in China in 2010.

“I am convinced that our Chinese clients will show the same enthusiasm for the vehicle as MINI E drivers in Germany, the USA and Britain,” emphasised Reithofer. 2011 will see the handover to Chinese customers of a further fleet based on the BMW Concept ActiveE. The renowned China Automotive Technology and Research Center (CATARC) and the state-owned energy supply company State Grid are involved as partners in the preparation, implementation and assessment of the practical use of these vehicles. The project has the backing of both the Chinese and the German governments.

The results will filter into the development of electrically powered vehicles for the Chinese market. “In the future we will also be offering a New Energy Vehicle in China. This will be developed and produced locally together with our joint venture partner Brilliance,” stated Reithofer.

BMW gathered its first experiences with electric-drive vehicles some 40 years ago courtesy of a modified BMW 1602 that led the long-distance walking and marathon running events in the 1972 Summer Olympics. In subsequent decades this alternative drive technology was further pursued using many mobile test beds, including the revolutionary BMW E1.

Photos from BMW Group Future Mobility Night 2010

Name:  P90059905.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  P90059904.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  99.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
One of my favorite topics.
      04-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

it's about time
      04-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

There are three additional Concepts due from BMW This weekend.

Two are making their debut at Beijing , With the other debuting at the
Villa D'Este.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

M1 concept?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

The M-version of this mobility device will have a hood bulge to accommodate a larger battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oulixes View Post
The M-version of this mobility device will have a hood bulge to accommodate a larger battery.
lol
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There are three additional Concepts due from BMW This weekend.

Two are making their debut at Beijing , With the other debuting at the
Villa D'Este.
The Villa D'Este concept is probably the 328 Kamm.

I doubt the M1 will be shown this early and also not in the market of China, don't think that's where its core audience is located. Probably at an auto show like Frankfurt rather.

One of the Beijing concepts will probably be a 5-Series electric concept car. There are rumours of a car called the Echo floating around, based on the Chinese LWB 5er

Last edited by v1p3r; 04-23-2010 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake :P
Appreciate 0