M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchelorc View Post
My God that dude is ugly.
LOL...that's Harry Metcalfe, supercar owner and founder/editor-in-chief of evo magazine.

Arguably he's not photogenic, but he's the best online automotive journalist there is IMHO. You should go watch some of his other vids, then perhaps your perception of him will change. Some of my favorites of his vids that I can remember include Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari 599 SA Aperta, Ferrari FF, Pagani Zonda 760RS, Pagani Huayra, Aston Martin One 77, and F1 two-seater.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
How long does it stay charged with aggressive driving, how often do you need to charge it, how long does it take to charge, etc...
BMW hybrids charge the most under aggressive driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
lasovan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 320

Please stop comparing the i8 to Tesla. There's nothing else like the i8 on the market today. Admittedly there is no car like Tesla either, but that's not the point. What I want to point out is that as an engineering accomplishment the i8 can't be compared to almost anything else out there, let alone in this price range! Just look at the Carrera 4s (similar price range), a wonderful car but ultra conservative from almost all the points of view. Future doesn't come cheap guys, but the 100k price tag is a low one for a car like it, can't you realize this? Ask some engineer about this and you'll get it confirmed. Don't look just at things such as power, no. of cylinders, range, electric vs hybrid drive. Take in account also carbon fiber construction (a first in mass production cars besides the i3), aerodynamic shaping, laser lights, state of the art electronic management of the drives, ecological production processes etc. And then there's the low weight too...

Last edited by lasovan; 08-21-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #26
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
BMW hybrids charge the most under aggressive driving conditions.
LOL. Well then, if I get one I will throw the cable/plug in the trash. Just go drive it hard to charge it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasovan View Post
Please stop comparing the i8 to Tesla. There's nothing else like the i8 on the market today. Admittedly there is no car like Tesla either, but that's not the point. What I want to point out is that as an engineering accomplishment the i8 can't be compared to almost anything else out there, let alone in this price range! Just look at the Carrera 4s (similar price range), a wonderful car but ultra conservative from almost all the points of view. Future doesn't come cheap guys, but the 100k price tag is a low one for a car like it, can't you realize this? Ask some engineer about this and you'll get it confirmed. Don't look just at things such as power, no. of cylinders, range, electric vs hybrid drive. Take in account also carbon fiber construction (a first in mass production cars besides the i3), aerodynamic shaping, laser lights, state of the art electronic management of the drives, ecological production processes etc. And then there's the low weight too...
I Agreement with all you wrote, the i8 is indeed an engineering marvel.

However, people don't buy cars with their hard earned money just to be part of engineering progress, but to use the car and actually drive it. Unless there's an added value to this somewhere - and I can't quite see it, same as for the i3 which is also hugely expensive - very few will buy it. Unless there are heavy subsidies from governments for it (for which all other taxpayers have to pay) or other interests in play (e.g. CO2 penalties) it will not be successful.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      08-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
kyang1225
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3

Very excited!!! Love the sound!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I Agreement with all you wrote, the i8 is indeed an engineering marvel.

However, people don't buy cars with their hard earned money just to be part of engineering progress, but to use the car and actually drive it. Unless there's an added value to this somewhere - and I can't quite see it, same as for the i3 which is also hugely expensive - very few will buy it. Unless there are heavy subsidies from governments for it (for which all other taxpayers have to pay) or other interests in play (e.g. CO2 penalties) it will not be successful.

Alpina_B3_Lux
I don't see many "hugely expensive" cars on the street, they are mostly garaged queen. I think the I8 would be a proper everyday kind of car, low expense to operate, because of 3cyl, with electronic aside...
Also 4.6 0-60, over 100m per gal, is a very good daily driver....and not a bad looking car either.
Appreciate 0