BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
Clicking noise (like cards in bicycle spokes)?

Good morning!

Quick question for owners: when cruising around with the windows down in all-electric mode (any mode where the gas engine is off), do you get what sounds like a bicycle with playing cards in the spokes? I only notice when driving next to walls/barriers, but it is quite noticeable. It increases/decreases with speed and is not noticed when there are no objects nearby to reflect the sound back in.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
This is a fun one. I started to notice it when the summer wheels came on and the windows came down for the first time (I picked up my car in the winter). When I mentioned it to the dealer, they looked at me like I was crazy. Then they declared it must be the slotted brake discs. Nonsense, of course. I've been driving cars with slotted discs for over a decade, and none of them made that noise.

I've taken at least three different service guys for a ride, and they all heard it. But nobody had a clue how to fix it. Then, someone on this forum (in a thread on the very same topic) shared a BMW service bulletin that's out on this - at least in the US. I gave that to my dealer. It required them to order and install different wheel bolts. Which they finally did a few weeks ago - I've had the car for over two years now!

The result: the noise is still there! It's less noticeable with the winter wheels on, but quite pronounced with the summer wheels (turbine style). I guess I'll just have to live with it. Unless you discover another solution. I would appreciate hearing what you find out.
Appreciate 1
Defiant2282.50
      04-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
This is a fun one. I started to notice it when the summer wheels came on and the windows came down for the first time (I picked up my car in the winter). When I mentioned it to the dealer, they looked at me like I was crazy. Then they declared it must be the slotted brake discs. Nonsense, of course. I've been driving cars with slotted discs for over a decade, and none of them made that noise.

I've taken at least three different service guys for a ride, and they all heard it. But nobody had a clue how to fix it. Then, someone on this forum (in a thread on the very same topic) shared a BMW service bulletin that's out on this - at least in the US. I gave that to my dealer. It required them to order and install different wheel bolts. Which they finally did a few weeks ago - I've had the car for over two years now!

The result: the noise is still there! It's less noticeable with the winter wheels on, but quite pronounced with the summer wheels (turbine style). I guess I'll just have to live with it. Unless you discover another solution. I would appreciate hearing what you find out.
I have had three i8s - with both different wheel styles - and the noise prevailed! It drives me nuts!!!!

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 1
Defiant2282.50
      04-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
Thanks!

Thank you both for the replies; glad it doesn't appear to be anything catastrophic coming at least! I can deal with the noise, it's just louder than the ELR or Volt were and I am not yet used to it. Ashamed I did not find it in my first search... when it was so easy to find. Sorry for the re-post!

have a great weekend; loving this car so far!
Regards,

Last edited by Defiant2; 04-28-2017 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

I think you are referring to a old known issue. There was a service bulletin about using split bolts on the wheels. Given you have a 15 plate, I would suggest that needs investigated?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=i8+bolts
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymousemighty View Post
I think you are referring to a old known issue. There was a service bulletin about using split bolts on the wheels. Given you have a 15 plate, I would suggest that needs investigated?
Confirmed, they replaced them on my car too addressing this particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Had the wheel bolts replaced, using the part number from the service bulletin. That doesn't seem to have done the trick for me. Noise is still the same.
Appreciate 1
Defiant2282.50
      05-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
bumbaclot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 650i Gran Coupe

I also hear the same clicking noise, and I actually have a service appointment in a few days because of it. I hope they can find a fix! I'll keep you guys posted on it they can
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:17 AM   #10
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I've got it as well.

Ironically the noise stopped just before it went in the for the fuel flap problem last year so didn't follow it up. Hoping we have a consensus before she goes in again around July/Aug for a service and inspection - at the very least I'll get them to do the bolts if not already done.
      05-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

How curious that the noise can vary, comes and goes. Perhaps an issue with dust/dirt accumulation? Any variance with rain, or car wash? The brake shield on the F80 was notorious for picking up tiny pebbles resulting in bizarre sounds. Maybe the i8 has a part that can move at speed. Is the sound there at 5 mph? Or just at higher speeds with more wind or wheel movement? Noises are tricky to track down. I use my stethoscope w surgical tubing that I can then put in targeted places. Found a few spots in the roof rain gutter on my E90 that way, which were otherwise impossible to pin-point localize.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
How curious that the noise can vary, comes and goes. Perhaps an issue with dust/dirt accumulation? Any variance with rain, or car wash? The brake shield on the F80 was notorious for picking up tiny pebbles resulting in bizarre sounds. Maybe the i8 has a part that can move at speed. Is the sound there at 5 mph? Or just at higher speeds with more wind or wheel movement? Noises are tricky to track down. I use my stethoscope w surgical tubing that I can then put in targeted places. Found a few spots in the roof rain gutter on my E90 that way, which were otherwise impossible to pin-point localize.
I only notice it on edrive and doing a reasonable speed, need the windows down and a wall to reflect the noise back. When it appeared to go away, I was thinking I maybe had something stuck to a wheel or tyre and it had just come free. Obviously not!

I haven't done much driving in the wet (amazingly for the UK, it's been quite dry recently) and tend not have the window down when it's wet. I will experiment to see if it makes a difference. I know wet conditions can affect noises coming from various suspension components like drop-link bushes etc...
      05-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
I only notice it on edrive and doing a reasonable speed, need the windows down and a wall to reflect the noise back. When it appeared to go away, I was thinking I maybe had something stuck to a wheel or tyre and it had just come free. Obviously not!

I haven't done much driving in the wet (amazingly for the UK, it's been quite dry recently) and tend not have the window down when it's wet. I will experiment to see if it makes a difference. I know wet conditions can affect noises coming from various suspension components like drop-link bushes etc...
Science is a beautiful thing...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Pretty sure I just noticed this today. Ever so slight ticking noise at low speeds (only detectable in e-drive).

Here's the real kicker...I have aftermarket wheels and bolts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
And it didn't come back after moving the car for the final time tonight...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:45 AM   #16
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

My annual inspection is due in a few weeks, I'll be asking them to investigate and check if my wheel bolts have been done.
      06-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
iHyperMiler
Private
Rep
Drives: i3 A8

Tried to switch of your pedestrian warning sound?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Ha! Try disconnecting the external speakers!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Definitely a mechanical sound...
      06-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Maxxsirrah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2017, Crystal White

Garage List
I get it too, its clearly just something the car does
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #21
phoenixcsl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / E46 M3 CSL

I would say check the anti rattle clips in the calipers, ironically my car was doing it previously.

I upgraded my brake pads in the car last week to performance pads as the standard pads are not that great.

Since I upgraded my pads, cleaned out the calipers and re-seated the anti rattle clips, my car is not making the clicking noise anymore.

Also, it could well be the large metal tabs which are on the OEM front pads, these seat very close to the actual caliper casing, my new Ferodo's don't have these tabs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcsl View Post
I would say check the anti rattle clips in the calipers, ironically my car was doing it previously.

I upgraded my brake pads in the car last week to performance pads as the standard pads are not that great.

Since I upgraded my pads, cleaned out the calipers and re-seated the anti rattle clips, my car is not making the clicking noise anymore.

Also, it could well be the large metal tabs which are on the OEM front pads, these seat very close to the actual caliper casing, my new Ferodo's don't have these tabs.
Worth a go, thanks for the info. Was it an easy job and have you felt a difference?