BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #23
tiburonh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV, 2015 x3 diesel

I had (and loved) the first generation of the X5 diesel, then went down from that to the first generation of the Audi Q5, and then last year went "down" again to the i3. I'm 6'3 and always used my size as an excuse for why I needed a big car. I've come to understand that that excuse was BS. I actually have plenty of room in the i3 (for me, my wife, our 45 pound dog, and our gear -- might be different with your three 50 pound dogs). Plus with the i3, I find (due to the incentives from the feds and from my state, plus the reduced electricity rates from my utility) I am saving substantially on financing and operating costs. Plus of course doing my part to help save the environment.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #24
135iUSN
19 X5 1998 M Roadster
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine White / Terra

Garage List
1998 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh
The i3, even with the REx, may not meet your needs for an occasional longer trip. While the REx can keep you going, stopping frequently (about once an hour) to refill the small fuel tank can get old, and your margin for error is small if the station you want ends up closed. I love my BEV, and my ICE only gets used infrequently, but I did keep it. If you don't want to consider keeping or getting an ICE, or renting one, or borrowing one for an occasional road trip, the i3 is a blast to drive. AT least operating costs are quite low compared to any ICE.
Most dealers participate in the BMW mobility program.

Free loaner for weekend trips. And the loaners are only for i3 owners, they are not allowed to use standard loaner car fleet.

BMW NA reimburses dealer X dollars per month per car if it's loaded out X number days per month. I think I read 15 days. So dealers need to keep them loaned out to get NA cash flow.

My dealer said just give 2-3 days notice.
      10-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #25
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post

Free loaner for weekend trips. And the loaners are only for i3 owners, they are not allowed to use standard loaner car fleet.

BMW NA reimburses dealer X dollars per month per car if it's loaded out X number days per month. I think I read 15 days. So dealers need to keep them loaned out to get NA cash flow.

For those thinking that they can rely on this arrangement - ask your local dealers (all of them, not just the one who sold you your i3) if they are participating in this program first.
Dealers are independent business, and the BMW terms of the program are not particularly attractive to most:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/11/bm...y-program.html

It is up to the dealers whether they will accommodate you with a BMW loaner, a subsidized rental car, or not at all. None of my local NJ dealers were participating when I asked around earlier this year.

a
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iUSN View Post

For those thinking that they can rely on this arrangement - ask your local dealers (all of them, not just the one who sold you your i3) if they are participating in this program first.
Dealers are independent business, and the BMW terms of the program are not particularly attractive to most:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/11/bm...y-program.html

It is up to the dealers whether they will accommodate you with a BMW loaner, a subsidized rental car, or not at all. None of my local NJ dealers were participating when I asked around earlier this year.

a
Very good advise as none of my dealers in the whole area are participating as they have not sold enough to justify the fleet right now this may change.

My dealer is nice enough however to hook me up with a car when I need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #27
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Again our dealer is very accommodating and so we are going for an I3 BEV ....
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0