Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Yes, it is small by current HDD standards. I've no idea what (if any) other cars have.

I've got about 40+ DVDs full of MP3s. That's over 200GB.

Plus all my original music CDs, but those are on my 256GB iPhone.
You might be better served to maintain your master library of music in an open source, generic, repository (folder of MP3's) rather than committing it to all the proprietary nonsense of the iPhone universe...

I have ALL of my music ripped to MP3 and only then do it copy it into iTunes. That way I can get to my music from any device, anwhere, anytime and not be subject to what devices and methods that have been blessed by the Apple marketing engine. Yup, I still got everything in iTunes if I want to go that way, but I can also easily copy any of my music out of my master MP3 library to any device (like a USB drive) to be played anywhere with no Apple or DRM issues...

You don't NEED to be a slave to Apple!
Ditto. That's the way to do it.
Appreciate 1
evanevery1111.00
      05-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #24
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Your TOOL should work for YOU! If you have to change the way you do things to accomodate your tool, or suffer major limitations imposed by your tool, then you need a different tool!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #25
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You might be better served to maintain your master library of music in an open source, generic, repository (folder of MP3's) rather than committing it to all the proprietary nonsense of the iPhone universe...

Erm, I'm pretty sure I wrote that my CDs are in my iPhone, and my MP3s are not.

So nothing is committed to any company's proprietary systems.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Erm, I'm pretty sure I wrote that my CDs are in my iPhone, and my MP3s are not.

So nothing is committed to any company's proprietary systems.
Its not a personal attack, so sorry if it came across that way...

But, how do you get to the digital copy of your CD's if you want to copy them or play them on something OTHER than your iPhone? Why wouldn't you just rip your CD's to MP3's and put them with the rest of your library?

ALL my MP3's are from my CD's (I don't download music). Why would you want to keep/manage your music in two separate repositories in any case?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Yes, if I wanted my CDs on a non-iOS device, or away from iTunes, I would need to rip them to MP3 again. But I really can't see the need.

The MP3s are downloads. All are on disc and also HDD. It's some of these that I transferred to the i8 HDD.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:58 AM   #28
zorgzx
Private
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
30gig small? Small for storing UHD videos maybe but MP3s? At decent sample rates, that's about 3000 tunes or 300 CDs, many more if you increase compression.
Slightly better than the 6 CDs/60-100 tracks you used to get on a CD changer.

I must admit I'm surprised BMW went to the trouble of using such small drives but I suspect it's down to the system being based on 2009ish models and using a specific hard drive that is known to work and handle the harsh environment that a car can be.
Back in the day, hitatchi made a 30g drive that handles pretty much everything you can throw at it of bumps and thumps. It allso wears very slowly unlike flash drives and is dirt cheap. Hence allmost all HDD entertainment systems use this.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #29
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Why are folks trying to use hard drives?

Why not get a 256GB MicroSD Card (with USDB Adapter) or a 256GB USB Thumb drive and just leave it in your USB port. You don't have to TRANSFER anything or be concerned with the available space on the internal hard drive...

This also makes it much easier to update your music collection. Just pull the thumb drive from your car, take it to your PC, and update the files using a real keyboard and monitor (no need to fumble around with iDrive)...

Rip your music in generic MP3 files (NOT iTunes with DRM) and then just copy them wherever you want them.

Its very easy to find MicroSD Cards and Thumb Drives in 64, 128, and 256 GB capacities and they are very small, cheap, and efficient!

You can find 256 GB mico SD cards for as low as $20 (but I would recommend higher quality): https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256GB...+sd+card+256gb

Micro SD Card USB Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Rocketek-Alum...sd+usb+adapter

256 Thumb Drive (will also plug into your phone): https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...GB+thumb+drive

Last edited by evanevery; 08-21-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #30
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if I wanted my CDs on a non-iOS device, or away from iTunes, I would need to rip them to MP3 again. But I really can't see the need.

The MP3s are downloads. All are on disc and also HDD. It's some of these that I transferred to the i8 HDD.
The "NEED" is: Once you rip your music to iTunes you can't do much else with it. You "owe you soul to the company store". For example, try exporting a song from iTunes to MP3 format...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #31
Jason B
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
Well...
I’m still a little confused about the battery charging scenario.

Regarding putting music on the hard drive in the car...
It’s fairly easy.

I think the capacity is 30gb

You first have to put your music files on a USB thumb drive on your computer. iTunes works well and there are other programs available also.

You can’t transfer files from your phone or via Bluetooth.

Just plug the USB drive into the USB connection in the center console and select Media on the controller. Select the USB hard drive from the menu that appears on the screen and select transfer files.

This is a short and not very complete explanation, but you can find many “how to” videos on YouTube that will explain the process to you in more detail. Videos about transferring files to a USB drive from your computer and videos about transferring files to the BMW. None on the i8 specifically but the BMW in general.

After saying all this, sometimes I think it’s all a wasted effort if you already have the music on your phone. Just connect via Bluetooth or the USB cable and you have the same thing. The only advantage of putting the music on the hard drive in the car is not having to connect your phone every time you get in the car and possibly better fidelity.
Can you do it by loading a cd or dvd with mp3 files on it to transfer it? I haven't messed with the car long enough to know if there even is a CD/CVD slot anywhere, you can do this with mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Can you do it by loading a cd or dvd with mp3 files on it to transfer it? I haven't messed with the car long enough to know if there even is a CD/CVD slot anywhere, you can do this with mercedes.
There is little benefit to burning MP3 Files to a CD when you can simply copy them to a thumb drive instead. In any case, there is no CD/DVD in the i8...
Appreciate 0