Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
vance
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Why is my expected electric range so small?

Since I run my i8 in sport mode 99% of the time, my electric charge is almost always sitting at 75% (max charge for sport). When I first got my car, the anticipated electric range with 75% charge was 14 miles or so. These days, it is much lower - see my attached picture. I do drive fairly spirited but I don’t see how that could drastically change the expected range like that. Another side note that may or may not be the culprit would be that I have had the ECU tuned by Gintani (since last November). However, I don’t think that is it because even after the tune, the electric range number was higher. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by vance; 05-21-2018 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #2
i8_2018
Private
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo + i8 Roadster

I guess it is confused by your driving. If you put it into pure electric I assume it will run longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #3
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Reset the mpg meter and run it for a while in Comfort and drive sensibly for a few days to see if it makes a difference.

In Sport mode, every time you accelerate hard you are using a lot of battery power. If this is your normal driving style, the overall average battery consumption will increase and the computer will give you a lower prediction for range as it expects you to keep thrashing it. The range prediction is merely that - a prediction.

Unless you have a problem, you should still have X KWh capacity in the battery, how many miles that covers depends on your right foot! You could start a journey with a prediction of 6 miles but drive gently and actually get 14+ of it.