SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Arrow What's Next? Future Expansive... BMW i4 and i5

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

WHAT iS NEXT? FUTURE EXPANSiVE...

So on the 29 of July 2011. Hall 11 @ The Portalhaus, Frankfurt Messe. You came...You Saw and hopefully you were blown away?
Although it is hoped you left with more questions than answers?

Questions? of course there is lots that must linger within your thoughts?
One such is will the brand expand in the future?
Yes of course it will , BMWi is to showcase alternative mobility and will cover all aspects of mobility from two wheels to four.

However if you are looking for an early response?
Then you have to be patient as of now all BMWi projects designwise are in effect but all engineering and concentration is applied to getting both the i3 and the i8 and all relevant infrastructure including Leipzig werk all into production before thinking about anything else.

Although IAA 2011 is the Preview of the Concept. IAA 2013 Will launch the Production cars and it will be around 2013 when you see the next idea for 4-wheeled mobility under BMWi.

But in the conception of the brand there is an idea of where to take the four wheel products -
i3 and i8 will head the launch and when you look at the i8 in particular. It is evident that you see how the Vision Efficient Dynamics has progressed to become more "production" like.
If you take for example the front end of the car - It is very much adapted to modern standards and is acceptable for pedestrian impact regulation. The A-pillars have been more reinforced and under the skin crumple zones at the front and rear have been engineered for production and "real-life" purpose.

The i3 is more "Concept" but you can see the direction things are heading. The outline will remain as will the car's quirky "stacked" angel eye lights an idea which will also feature within the BMW FWD City Car. The Panoramic feel of the i3 is retained , although like the i8 the i3 will also lose the see-through sides regarding side-impact legislation , although the glasshouse will sink deeper and also like the i8 , i3 will be offered with a personalisation programme again with either body color , contrasting color or design CFRP panels.

So what comes next?
well, BMW are considering as well as expansions on the i3 (extended wheelbase) and i8 (potential cabrio) initial ideas are leading two further projects the i4 and the i5.

The i4 for example is based on the i3 but uses the technology to sit under a two seater smaller i8
like Sports car, smaller than the i8 but possibly more reachable for some than the i8.
i4 would offer a plug-in electric or range-extended electric drivetrain.
The idea comes from not everybody will be able to afford the i8 but here is the more accessible offer.

i5 is seen as the ultimate test for BMWi and will be a mid-sized four door Sedan-esque Coupe again using the powertrain from the BMW i8. But expanding on the ideas wiith a proper four door sedan . Although the ideas are on the table such as strong BMWi identity and design elements such as sleek aerodynamics and rear hinged doors opening to a four seater interior.

Both i4 and i5 will also use cutting-edge CFRP technology in their construction.

Although Concepts should appear after the 2013 launch of the i3 and the 2014 launch of the i8.
Full Production on further BMWi Concepts should not be expected until nearer the end of the decade.

In the meantime there is a lot more coming , especially on "personal mobility" themes.
BMW wants to get the public "future ready" with the technological advancements of "personal mobility" in terms of how it works and what it offers. So when the cars are launched the customer will be "mature" to understand the purpose and background of the car and it's features.

The teaching process stems from actual customers who specify options in their cars but never use them , even though they are there to help the driver . So over the next two years there will be an emphasis in learning everything about the car and what BMWi offers available via BMWi web site and technological aids such as Applications for the iphone etc.

Now who wants to drive one?

Official BMW i Trailer:

08-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
bmwF10
Dark Knight
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Ask NASA.

What's up with your avatar? 6 Gran Coupé? i5? 3GT? 8 series? 7GT [absurd I know, just guessing here (a)]
EDIT: Remembered one, 4 series Gran Coupé, I think SCOTT mencioned something about it :X (Thanks to LemonOne for the hint)

Last edited by bmwF10; 08-08-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Thanks Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwF10 View Post
What's up with your avatar? 6 Gran Coupé? i5? 3GT? 8 series? 7GT [absurd I know, just guessing here (a)]
I think it may be the 3GT
      08-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

Quote:
i was gonna ask the same question...z2? 2 series? lol...looks like a 3GT
      08-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Himmm.. N54 swap to i chassis! if you can fit it
      08-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
M3_CSL_E92
Private
Rep
Drives: none atm

Could be 4-series maybe?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Looks like an Acura CL Type-S...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

I do! I really wanna know how i8 drives!

btw, every time when you say BMW FWD, I always hope that "F" stands for four not front o well..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Looks like 4-series to me
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

It's like this: I want to be able to buy cars with great performance at some kind of reasonable price. That means the cost of achieving fuel efficiency should be within a limit where that cost can be recovered against US fuel prices. I don't think it is fair to be paying more because of some kind of intangible benefit related to C02 reduction.

Right now that is possible, but with the coming Obama insane efficiency standards it won't be. It is particularly hard on those of us who like small powerful cars because the rules are set up to allow rednecks to buy big pickups while we get to take up the slack. That is why the Camaro is so damn big.
      08-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #11
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I hope and pray the i4 is a production version of the Vision ConnectedDrive Concept.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
SharifE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Thanks Mrtanz,
Did tv in motion, disclaimer, DR angel eyes, wipers and headlight washer. Good work.
      08-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
SharifE
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90

Thanks Mrtanz.
Did tv in motion, dig speedo, wipers, headlight washer and DR angel eyes. Good job mate.
      07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

With the i3 unveiled and the i8 soon to come, is there any more news on future i's? i4 and i5 still planned?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
cjwb1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Z4 Sdrive35i

When the BMW i5 arrives, that will be the true test of the I brand. BMW better hope that battery technology makes the next jump. I know its very early but the i5 using the powertrain of the i8. That's interesting to note, because if it does, its just basically another hybrid. It doesn't compete with the Tesla Sedan as it is now. I was hoping they would take the idea of the i3 and improve upon it. Make the i5 a very attractive sedan with a longer range and using the 3 cylinder detune turbo engine from the i8 to power and sustain the battery.

I think for the i5 to improve the looks on it with out being tall in stature. BMW needs to make the drive module flatter and wider in comparison to the i3, to achieve the looks.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

I think BMW i should be focussed on electric vehicles, not hybrids. For me the i8 lacks a bit of fascination because it's neither flesh nor fowl. I understand that an electric-only sportscar would be too heavy (the electric SLS weighs as much as the S-Class), but it could be a mistake to use this hybrid concept in a "four door Sedan-esque Coupe". Make it all-electric like the Model S!

I hope BMW is aware of the success of Tesla. Today Tesla is a small automaker, but they already started to hurt the established luxury brands when it comes to the perception of technological leadership. I recently read a praising review of the Model S in the Autozeitung. I don't buy all of the hype around Tesla, but luxury brands like BMW should act before the damage to them is getting too big.
Appreciate 0