BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Autoblog has a review up as well.

Not the most glowing reviews. But they will sell out the very limited number.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Autoblog has a review up as well.

Not the most glowing reviews. But they will sell out the very limited number.
Do you have a link? I can't find one; the only Autoblog article I found is from August 2013 when they drove the prototype i8.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #25
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

So did BMW say when the US will start getting cars?
      04-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #26
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carholic View Post
So did BMW say when the US will start getting cars?
I can't find it now but I swear I read in one of these reviews that the first US customer will receive their i8 in a ceremony at Pebble Beach in August.

Another review mentioned i8's to hit dealer showrooms in September.

Not 100% sure how reliable this is but thought I'd share it.

Edit:
This one says certain parts of the country start getting cars mid-June;

Quote:
U.S. deliveries start in certain areas by mid-June with every part of the country attended to by September.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-27-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Couple of short videos from same day from bystanders...

How ironic that it's taken at a gas station :
      04-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
How ironic that it's taken at a gas station :
Huh? Why is that ironic? It's a plug-in hybrid; it uses gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Yes but customers are already taking deliveries of the M3/4's and nobody in the media has been allowed to drive/review it yet? We're all waiting patiently.....
At the risk of sounding pedantic, there's been one "customer delivery"...in Dubai.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I can't find it now but I swear I read in one of these reviews that the first US customer will receive their i8 in a ceremony at Pebble Beach in August.

Another review mentioned i8's to hit dealer showrooms in September.

Not 100% sure how reliable this is but thought I'd share it.

Edit:
This one says certain parts of the country start getting cars mid-June;
Sounds like business as usual for consistency in message

They didn't tell them deliveries were delayed months...which is nice.

Here's hoping order banks will star opening up in the next week or two. One article mentioned that orders would arrive in September, with info on trim levels coming later...which I thought was backwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
And reading those PDFs is confusing. They make it sound like you'll have to get the Pure Impulse package to get H/K stereo, HUD, driving assistant surround view, etc...unless the "four interior equipment variants" include tech packages. Either way, to get the "full" i8 experience you will be spending a LOT more than $135k...something they said wouldn't be the case in prior interviews and literature. I would like a little more clarity with this whole thing.

edit: Nevermind, the end of the one PDF specifically says HUD, surround camera, etc are stand alone options. So basically just look at the UK brochure from a couple months ago, we're doing the same thing. So based on foreign pricing we're looking at ~$150k for a full leather interior and tech options.

I guess they threw out the whole "No packages, No Options" angle from the early brochure:

I'm gonna make a couple of guesses here:
Heads up display ~ $1300
Driver assistance package ~$2000
HK stereo upgrade ~$1200
Style-625 wheel upgrade (based on UK pricing and knowing VAT) ~$1800
Full Leather "Carpo Amido" ~$1500

Last edited by Carac; 04-27-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #32
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

My hats off to the BMW team that put these i cars together. The reviews have all given both i cars high praise. That's pretty awesome for a first gen car that was built from the ground up. To compare it to a Porsche that's had 50 years of refinement, and is just as good, speaks volumes.
      04-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #33
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
edit: Nevermind, the end of the one PDF specifically says HUD, surround camera, etc are stand alone options. So basically just look at the UK brochure from a couple months ago, we're doing the same thing. So based on foreign pricing we're looking at $150k for a full leather interior and tech options.
Yep. It is definitely NOT going to be "fully optioned as standard" by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

The Pure Impulse package locks you in to only one color choice for the full leather (do you want gray, or grey?), but it is the only way to get the extra design bits and pieces. It also locks you in to the silver steering wheel insert, whereas I thought blue would be kind of cool.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the color names and am not even sure if I've seen this gray color that the Pure Impulse package will have.

Your $150k estimate sounds about right.

Also completely missing from the PDF is any mention of the display key. Hopefully when it's ready they will update the literature. This PDF is just for the press to plagiarize, errr, I mean report on the features of the car
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #34
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

yawn
      04-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #35
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Yep. It is definitely NOT going to be "fully optioned as standard" by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

The Pure Impulse package locks you in to only one color choice for the full leather (do you want gray, or grey?), but it is the only way to get the extra design bits and pieces. It also locks you in to the silver steering wheel insert, whereas I thought blue would be kind of cool.

I am having a hard time keeping up with the color names and am not even sure if I've seen this gray color that the Pure Impulse package will have.

Your $150k estimate sounds about right.

Also completely missing from the PDF is any mention of the display key. Hopefully when it's ready they will update the literature. This PDF is just for the press to plagiarize, errr, I mean report on the features of the car
It appears to me that the pdf is for European cars, specifically Great Britain (hence the "gb" in the file name). I say that also because the file refers to availability of laser lights later this year, which as we know will not be available in the U.S. (at least not in the immediate future). The text also appears to be written for the British market, with spelling of "tyres", "colour", etc.

I'm hoping that when we see the equivalent info on the bmwusa site, it will clear up the confusion, and deliver on the fully featured car we were all expecting. If Scott26 is listening, perhaps he can help clear this up.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
It appears to me that the pdf is for European cars, specifically Great Britain (hence the "gb" in the file name). I say that also because the file refers to availability of laser lights later this year, which as we know will not be available in the U.S. (at least not in the immediate future). The text also appears to be written for the British market, with spelling of "tyres", "colour", etc.

I'm hoping that when we see the equivalent info on the bmwusa site, it will clear up the confusion, and deliver on the fully featured car we were all expecting. If Scott26 is listening, perhaps he can help clear this up.

Ahh, good eye. Maybe there's still hope for not being nickel and dimed. And I'm having a REAL hard time finding how they would implement the part of "Pure Impulse" that has to do with special events and lifestyle stuff with a country as large as America, the logistics alone. It makes much more sense in more centralized and compact countries like the UK and Germany.

It's also more in line with BMW i US' marketing. Even at the NY auto show last week the head of BMW i marketing said during an interview that you just choose your interior, your wheels, your paint and "that's it." We'll see.

Last edited by Carac; 04-27-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #37
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

I really like this car and realize it's intent however I don't think I could ever buy one as it just bothers me that it "looks" much faster than it actually is. It looks like a 200+mph 0-60 in sub 3 second supercar. I know that is not it's purpose and realize what it's all about and I know it is not in that price range which is great as well. The reviews should not be comparing it as such however there is nothing else to compare it to.

Hopefully but doubtfully there will be an M variant in the future that matches looks and performance without too much of a $$ premium
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #38
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Interesting that they would release the PDF and not cover the US market in it and also didn't release a US specific one. This PDF does talk about various European markets, so I figured it was global.

I was interested in some of the nice touches and the full leather with the Pure Impulse, the interior ambiance lighting package, leather engine cover, embossed i8 in headrests, and other similar details. Will that all be standard on the US i8, or it will be part of the top package? Will be interesting to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting that they would release the PDF and not cover the US market in it and also didn't release a US specific one. This PDF does talk about various European markets, so I figured it was global.

I was interested in some of the nice touches and the full leather with the Pure Impulse, the interior ambiance lighting package, leather engine cover, embossed i8 in headrests, and other similar details. Will that all be standard on the US i8, or it will be part of the top package? Will be interesting to see.
It would be nice of them to throw those touches in as part of a "launch" edition like they are with "Electronaut" editions of the i3. But that seems a stretch since we still appear to be getting more standard anyway.

I'm also glad there's a chance I won't have to slap on a good portion of the price of an i3 on it to bring it up to the spec I had assumed it would be standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #40
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Woo hoo lots of reading for tonight, I'm going to make a coffee and enjoy a cigar outside while reading these reviews!

Thanks for posting!
Me too but I'm having whiskey on the rocks
      04-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #41
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Honestly, when the NSX comes out I want it to beat the i8 in every area, performance, emissions, price, sales numbers... Just to force BMW to consider making a true M version halo car for the brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #42
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Two more reviews:
http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...ndly-1.1775841
http://driving.ca/bmw/i8/reviews/roa...ve-2015-bmw-i8

Notable that the second review (driving.ca) is the first one of all of them that mentions the side windows do not go down all the way. So no resting the elbow while cruising. Bit of a bummer.

Last edited by ddk632; 04-27-2014 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #43
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Ok, here's a video from Autobild. It's definitely in Malibu from the press drives last week. Some nice action shots driving through the tunnel on Kanan Rd, near the Rock Store, and on Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills. There's also a bit of video while driving from inside the cockpit, which is refreshing. I have no clue what they're talking about, though

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #44
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Autocar review reads like someone expecting a M1/R8. Besides the "not amazing at the limit" it was fairly glowing.
I thought so too about the review. I guess it's hard because of it being in a fairly small class. Do you compare it to the Tesla? Not really. Do you compare it to the lightweight combustion-only super cars? Nope. The hybrid super cars? Not necessarily. I wouldn't know what to compare it to either. I know they had a definite target when designing it, but for now, it's rather unique among production cars.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0