09-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
kanecvl
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
I second that. Just read the Road and Track review of the car. Pretty abysmal. Oh and by the way...I'm on Google Fiber - 1000Mbps. ;-)
I read that... SMH and I expected that from the looks of it I'm nearly in disbelief that BMW designed that. Google fiber. They need to hurry and get that nationwide. I can't wait to get rid of Comcast. I only wonder if it's beneficial though just because some sites may have bandwith limits not sure though...
      09-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
The production version of the i3 is better looking than the prototypes shown at the IAA two years ago. It is roomy and the version without the sunroof has a lot of headroom. It would work nicely for my short commute.
Attached Images

09-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #25
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
I heard a lot of that at the US premier in NYC. Once people get to see it in person they have a much different opinion. The i3 is going to pull a lot of new customers into the brand for sure. The early ordering in Europe has been very strong, they will have difficulty keeping up with the demand for the first year for sure.

It's much faster and handles better than my ActiveE while also having much more interior room and more luggage space. The range is about the same and you can get the range extender if you need/want more. The wild card is if people in the US are willing to accept the unconventional styling as much as they will in Europe. That's when seeing it in person really makes a difference. It really looks better in person than pictures.

My dealer in NJ already has already started a waiting list and it's more than 6 months out. This bodes well for BMW.
We have already over a thousand orders for the first i3 cars due in November in Germany alone. This is not counting global orders.
This is expected to increase during the duration of the IAA.

Of course this is not forgetting the global impact the car has had on current and more importantly new customers.
The US Premiere will be at the LAIAS in November followed by the Japanese premiere in Tokyo at the same week.

The i8 is also being appreciated, the star of the IAA already stands at a few thousand orders even before the car was unveiled. In the last week alone , interest has shot through the roof. Again the car will US Premiere at LAIAS and again in Tokyo.

The impact of these cars will be felt across the market and our competitors know that.

The first media drives of the BMW i3 will commence in October.
The i8 in early 2014.
      09-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #26
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

One thing that I hope gets resolved soon is that all of the diagrams I've found on any BMW websites (I've tried maybe five from around the world) are such poor resolution, that you cannot reliably read any of the dimensions. I'm particularly interested in the driver's headroom and foot room. Secondarily, I'd really like to know the dimensions of the storage area in the rear as I'd like to determine if my folding recumbent trike will fit!

Also, one thing that bugs me is that when BMW (and some other brands) do list headroom, they show it without the sunroof, then, at least on many brands, make the sunroof standard equipment in the USA. Since a sunroof can take up as much as four inches of headroom depending on the design, that is easily the difference between acceptable and not acceptable.

It also appears that to get any of the extras on the i3, you need to get a package that includes the sunroof...FWIW, there are a more people than you think that would gladly trade a sunroof for more interior room! This has been one of my biggest complaints over the years as I'm not excessively tall, but between my torso length and arm length, it forces me into more of a straight up position since you cannot extend the steering column far enough to 'gain' extra headroom that other people, the same height can. An interesting comparison between a friend and I, with the seat adjusted comfortably for me, his knees were bent up like pretzels, and he had plenty of headroom...my legs were straight out and my head was nearly touching the roof; we're both exactly the same height, just different proportions.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

I cant wait to drive one!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I might be interested in buying one if it will be reliable and the battery life will be decent.
What bugs me is if the bumper is that long in the front, why the heck they didn't extend the hood as well, in this way the car will have a much more pleasant look so the kidneys will flow nice, plus they will gain some usable space under that hood.
Some design elements are ugly, I don't understand why the fog lamps must have that weird shaped black plastic...
The interior is just ok, I wouldn't buy it with that cloth combination, nor with that cheap looking wood trim.
O would also love a central console between me and the front passanger, it can be used for different stuff, that is some wasted space from my point of view.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I might be interested in buying one if it will be reliable and the battery life will be decent.
What bugs me is if the bumper is that long in the front, why the heck they didn't extend the hood as well, in this way the car will have a much more pleasant look so the kidneys will flow nice, plus they will gain some usable space under that hood.
Some design elements are ugly, I don't understand why the fog lamps must have that weird shaped black plastic...
The interior is just ok, I wouldn't buy it with that cloth combination, nor with that cheap looking wood trim.
O would also love a central console between me and the front passanger, it can be used for different stuff, that is some wasted space from my point of view.
There is nothing cheap in the i3. The i3 uses premium materials from a sustainable viewpoint. The car is very much well assembled from a quality view.
The minimalist theme gives the impression of questionable quality but I assure you that is not the case with the i3.
      09-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The first media drives of the BMW i3 will commence in October.
The i8 in early 2014.
Since I am local to München(BMW), you can put me down for both events.

I'll say it again guys... the moment I sat in the i3 I was very impressed with the quality build(materials used) of the car. Nothing is cheap about it. Its a BMW thru out its design. I really want to drive one in real life. I was not a fan before I saw it in person. You really ought to reserve judgement until you sit and drive one. The i3 is a nice eco city car deserving of the BMW badge. I think BMW will sell a ton of these things.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #31
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
My guess would be so that you can better see the corners of the car. Which would make parking easier in an urban environment.
Appreciate 0