BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

EV only cars

With no power for possibly weeks in Florida. I bet all those who brought electric only cars are kicking themselves now.
You need to have a petrol engine as well in any plugin car.
It's not just storms its earthquakes as well California
      09-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

No gasoline neither. It doesn't matter if you have an ice or electric. No electricity to charge your electric car. No gasoline at the gas station to fill your ice. Even if there is gasoline, the gas station has no electricity to work the pumps. Everyone is in the same situation.
      09-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
With no power for possibly weeks in Florida. I bet all those who brought electric only cars are kicking themselves now.
Congrats for finding new ways to be a jerk!

People are recovering from devastation, with lives lost, and all you can think of is scoring cheap points in favor of ICE cars.

Way to show class...

a
Appreciate 1
jmg18649.50
      09-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Congrats for finding new ways to be a jerk!

People are recovering from devastation, with lives lost, and all you can think of is scoring cheap points in favor of ICE cars.

Way to show class...

a
No cheap points it's being realistic. Gas/petrol can be delivered as well generators to run the pumps. Just evacuating the hundreds of miles would have been a problem in a battery only cars.
The sad thing in Florida will be dealing with insurance companies as they try not to make payouts.
If I change one person decision from buying an i3 battery only to purchasing an i3 with range extender my post was worth while.
      09-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Some people have solar panel arrays to charge their electric vehicles.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
No cheap points it's being realistic. Gas/petrol can be delivered as well generators to run the pumps. Just evacuating the hundreds of miles would have been a problem in a battery only cars.
The sad thing in Florida will be dealing with insurance companies as they try not to make payouts.
If I change one person decision from buying an i3 battery only to purchasing an i3 with range extender my post was worth while.
I don't know about every other i3 owner, but for me an many I know the i3 is not their only car. I have 3 other ICE cars to rely on in case of emergencies.

Additionally, my i3 is always charged, so if the power and gas goes, it's still ready to go up to 180+miles. Not to mention it is a REx, so I can fill up on gas anytime for an additional 80-90 miles. But thanks for your concern.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
The Grand Saviour
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Kiwi you make it so hard not to knock you.

In some cases kiwi I'd rather have the electric, my house in case of bad weather I have a generator working off natural gas. Guess what power gets knocked out! I have plenty, solar panels on the roof, I have free power ! Helped paid for by the American tax payer and Uncle Sam.

Is some ways with an electric I have more ways to power my car than a gas ice with all gas stations out of gas. And by out of gas I mean out of gas, many people got stranded because many gas stations ran out of fuel because the refineries where shut down and they had a shortage so many gas stations shuttered their doors. So what then ?

And if all else failed I'll take my small portable generator with a few gallons of gas meant for my lawn mower and go charge somewhere.

So your OP is pointless as everyone was in the same boat and had no way to get gas or recharge their car if they didn't plan ahead.

But regardless Their are solar charging stations around though so in other words yours in better company with an electric vs a ICE.

Also great way to show how insensitive you are, people lost their lives and your making fun!

Shame on you!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #9
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Getting back to only battery cars and why you should not.

i3 with petrol engine is the perfect EV but not a great drivers car up to the release of the i3 sport.

Below is an article in New Zealand.

"The upsurge in electric car ownership is starting to pose problems for the power industry.

Auckland lines company Vector is putting time limits on its free chargers and trying to smooth out demand by introducing another charger, which allows your car to power your house.

While the electric and hybrid fleet is still small, around 3,500, popularity has surged in the past year.

That's starting to place pressure on the limited number of free rapid chargers around Auckland.

Electric car users Robyn and Sam Cope say that "sometimes there are four cars there waiting to use them".

So Vector has put in new charging restrictions: 30 minutes for rapid chargers, no commercial vehicles allowed and if you are parking, not charging you will get towed.

Vector is also building four new charging stations.

Vector is also trying to manage peak demand by installing a massive Tesla battery in a substation that recharges off peak and then discharges when demand is high.

And there's a new two way car charger. It can charge an EV like this Nissan Leaf, and then can act as a battery to power your home.

A Vector spokesperson says you can run the average house for about 10 hours from a car battery so that is quite powerful.

At the moment owning an electric car is like being part of a club ... there's a sort of charging etiquette.

But with the Government wanting 64,000 EVs on the road by 2021, demand for rapid chargers might just spark some tempers.

Newshub."
      09-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

i3 with petrol engine is the perfect EV but not a great drivers car up to the release of the i3 sport.

Below is an article in New Zealand.

"The upsurge in electric car ownership is starting to pose problems for the power industry.

Auckland lines company Vector is putting time limits on its free chargers and trying to smooth out demand by introducing another charger, which allows your car to power your house.

While the electric and hybrid fleet is still small, around 3,500, popularity has surged in the past year.

That's starting to place pressure on the limited number of free rapid chargers around Auckland.

Electric car users Robyn and Sam Cope say that "sometimes there are four cars there waiting to use them".

So Vector has put in new charging restrictions: 30 minutes for rapid chargers, no commercial vehicles allowed and if you are parking, not charging you will get towed.

Vector is also building four new charging stations.

Vector is also trying to manage peak demand by installing a massive Tesla battery in a substation that recharges off peak and then discharges when demand is high.

And there's a new two way car charger. It can charge an EV like this Nissan Leaf, and then can act as a battery to power your home.

A Vector spokesperson says you can run the average house for about 10 hours from a car battery so that is quite powerful.

At the moment owning an electric car is like being part of a club ... there's a sort of charging etiquette.

But with the Government wanting 64,000 EVs on the road by 2021, demand for rapid chargers might just spark some tempers.

Newshub."
Sometimes the only way to get change in the world is to get people mad. So if people start getting mad they will fight for change. If we do what your saying then we will stay where we are. The infrastructure needs to be built up. If we keep pressure on then the needles will move. If we keep status quo then it will never move.

You think gas stations where on every corner over night?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

There are plenty of petrol cars that are much higher volume sellers than the i3 Rex that are even LESS drivers car. Should we not buy those either? The i3 is good at what it does. It's nimble and quick and if you have ever driven one, it's actually fun to drive.

Quote:

"

Despite what might or might not happen in the future with EV cars, RIGHT NOW there are many advantages to driving an EV. Honestly, with the free charging program from BMW, the major state, federal, and energy rebates, the amount of chargers in the city, the carpool privileges, and the space saving proportions of the i3, it's a much better city driver than my F80 M3. Whether or not those are sustainable and might disappear in a few years bother me NOT ONE FUCKING BIT. You know why? Because RIGHT NOW, TODAY I'm taking advantage of it and I'm saving money and experiencing less anxiety. Chastising others who are advantage of all these incentives is pretty pretty foolish. If the EV market somehow doesn't work out... well, I still saved a lot of money and the ICE will still be there.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
There are plenty of petrol cars that are much higher volume sellers than the i3 Rex that are even LESS drivers car. Should we not buy those either? The i3 is good at what it does. It's nimble and quick and if you have ever driven one, it's actually fun to drive.
I agree there are a lot of American built petrol cars that drive horribly but that is the American way.

I've driven i3's many times and tried to talk myself into buying but could not pass up purchasing my BMW 225xe plugin which out preforms the i3. I'm hoping BMW's new i3 sport gets back to being more a BMW drivers car. Why do we buy BMW's the reason is they should drive corners better than any other car sold of the same dollars.
      09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I agree there are a lot of American built petrol cars that drive horribly but that is the American way.

I've driven i3's many times and tried to talk myself into buying but could not pass up purchasing my BMW 225xe plugin which out preforms the i3. I'm hoping BMW's new i3 sport gets back to being more a BMW drivers car. Why do we buy BMW's the reason is they should drive corners better than any other car sold of the same dollars.
Different tools for different purposes. The i3 fit my need for an efficient commuter car. The M3 fit my want for a high performance sedan.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Why do we buy BMW's the reason is they should drive corners better than any other car sold of the same dollars.

Then you have been wasting your money. There are a number of cars that will corner MUCH better for the same money. Lotus comes to mind for example.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Then you have been wasting your money. There are a number of cars that will corner MUCH better for the same money. Lotus comes to mind for example.
You are comparing Lotus to which BMW?
      09-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Different tools for different purposes. The i3 fit my need for an efficient commuter car. The M3 fit my want for a high performance sedan.
The reason BMW is bringing out the i3 sport is many BMW owners have complained about the i3 driving ability and will not buy. The changes BMW have made is what my complaints were 2 years ago to the letter. If you look at a lot of i3 owners they are new to BMW so don't understand BMW "drivers car" ability.

The i3 should not drive worse than BMW's standard 1 series a car that is half the price of the i3.
      09-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #17
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
The reason BMW is bringing out the i3 sport is many BMW owners have complained about the i3 driving ability and will not buy. The changes BMW have made is what my complaints were 2 years ago to the letter. If you look at a lot of i3 owners they are new to BMW so don't understand BMW "drivers car" ability.

The i3 should not drive worse than BMW's standard 1 series a car that is half the price of the i3.
If people want to pay a bit more for the i3s, they are more then welcome to do so. Improvements to it's driving characteristics will always be welcome, who doesn't want progress like that after all? Personally, the non-s i3 does the job as a commuter for me.

As for you general argument against EVs and i3s don't necessarily line up with my situation nor every single car owner in the world. That's fine if you chose a 2-series e, that's what works for you. As for me, I'm very very satisfied with the non-s i3. The i3s I'm sure will be an improvement, as should every new model of a current car in theory.

It's clear that you just want to bash the EV i3 and feel some sort of gratification in trolling EV i3 owners and waving the "I told you so" flag around proudly, justifying your choices. Keep in mind that this is solely for you own selfish reasons, why else would you kick someone when they are down, let alone suffering the devastation of a natural disaster? What's the point of it? It's in poor taste and judgment. Enjoy your 2-series e, I'm not the type of person to tell others they made a poor choice by assuming that my own wants and needs are the standard in which I would judge others. It's shameful, narcissistic, and ignorant. I like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume people aren't naturally this way, but have simply made a mistake and lacked the insight to be a decent to their fellow men and women. Maybe you are used to being treated like this by other people and have gotten conditioned to think that this is an acceptable way to interact with others. It's the norm, unfortunately, but that doesn't make it right. Maybe you could break that cycle.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #18
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
If people want to pay a bit more for the i3s, they are more then welcome to do so. Improvements to it's driving characteristics will always be welcome, who doesn't want progress like that after all? Personally, the non-s i3 does the job as a commuter for me.

As for you general argument against EVs and i3s don't necessarily line up with my situation nor every single car owner in the world. That's fine if you chose a 2-series e, that's what works for you. As for me, I'm very very satisfied with the non-s i3. The i3s I'm sure will be an improvement, as should every new model of a current car in theory.

It's clear that you just want to bash the EV i3 and feel some sort of gratification in trolling EV i3 owners and waving the "I told you so" flag around proudly, justifying your choices. Keep in mind that this is solely for you own selfish reasons, why else would you kick someone when they are down, let alone suffering the devastation of a natural disaster? What's the point of it? It's in poor taste and judgment. Enjoy your 2-series e, I'm not the type of person to tell others they made a poor choice by assuming that my own wants and needs are the standard in which I would judge others. It's shameful, narcissistic, and ignorant. I like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume people aren't naturally this way, but have simply made a mistake and lacked the insight to be a decent to their fellow men and women. Maybe you are used to being treated like this by other people and have gotten conditioned to think that this is an acceptable way to interact with others. It's the norm, unfortunately, but that doesn't make it right. Maybe you could break that cycle.
You are totally wrong with what I have said over the i3. I like the i3 design but you should buy the i3 with the rex petrol engine just for safety. You should not just rely on battery car only. The i3 is one of the best produced EV and only EV rex on the market. The reason I did not buy the i3 was its poor driving ability and instead purchased BMW's 225xe. If the new i3 sport drives as good as BMW's 225xe then I'll look at purchasing an i3s June next year.
You say I'm bashing ev's and people who purchased them well I'm not I'm just saying what I feel and I have the freedom to do so. I don't bash petrol engines like a lot of EV owners are doing as I enjoy both. I don't like the way countries are deciding to ban petrol and diesel engines this to me it a dictatorship and should not be part of the western world.
Education is the way to change not heavy handed governments banning engines. If you were to ban anything then coal would be a good start. China's pollution is manly coursed by coal. China looks no different now than it was when I was there in 1993 with it's thick pollution.
At my home I have extra petrol, gas for cooking as well food and water you also need cash to last for a week. Emergency service staff are told to look after there family first then people around them once secure then go to work to help others if required.