classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Agree to disagree, but the trickle down effect for tech and style is definitely intended for the masses, so why not make it attractive to the masses to begin with?
Um, again, "no"...

In order for the i8 to garner mass appeal they would have to make it a practical car. The i8 is in no way a practical car. If they tried to make it practical, it simply wouldn't be an i8. Maybe more like an i3.

I wouldn't want an i8 if it had the practicality required for mass market appeal. There are other vehicles which already meet this requirement. My ModelX is MUCH more practical than any EV BMW makes... I don't need ANOTHER practical EV (which the i8 certainly ISN'T). If I wanted mass market practicality at a reasonable price I'ld buy a Model3
Ahhh I understand what you're saying now....great example with the modelX. I got you man, makes sense.
Appreciate 1
evanevery1111.00
      02-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #46
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Agree to disagree, but the trickle down effect for tech and style is definitely intended for the masses, so why not make it attractive to the masses to begin with?
Um, again, "no"...

In order for the i8 to garner mass appeal they would have to make it a practical car. The i8 is in no way a practical car. If they tried to make it practical, it simply wouldn't be an i8. Maybe more like an i3.

I wouldn't want an i8 if it had the practicality required for mass market appeal. There are other vehicles which already meet this requirement. My ModelX is MUCH more practical than any EV BMW makes... I don't need ANOTHER practical EV (which the i8 certainly ISN'T). If I wanted mass market practicality at a reasonable price I'ld buy a Model3
And yet, as a car "not made for the masses" it underwhelms in all areas aside from aesthetics...kinda like a 320i..wait a sec, maybe it was built for the masses!!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #47
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Guys this is still an absolutely amazing car and a terrific value at market pricing (whatever that is). I'm very fortunately that I get to drive lots of new stuff. Got a few loaner toys this weekend. I love automotive motorsports and am a participant. I love all cars that inspire one way or another. This car is still the car I would drive everyday - I don't need 500hp to drive on the streets to work. I'm not racing anyone on the street. That is stupid. 130 hp battery only driving in silence is fine for 99% of the time. It's got gobs of torque instantaneously is u ever need to pass.

The i8 is rarely someone's only car. I mean you could if you didn't have kids or the need to carry anything. BMW built it to demonstrate the future of battery/ICE integration (among other tech and design innovations) as someone's second or third or fourth car. I have driven battery only cars and other ICE/battery integrated cars. BMW nailed it with the i8. Still to this day best of the best (i will exclude the P1, LaFerrari and 918 from this analysis as these are now mostly museum cars).

BMW at some point likely made an error in judgment when their was significant initial success for this car and then shifted production to make too many in 2015, leaving a glut on the market in 2016 dramatically reducing its value and never recovered. That's all you need to keep in mind. If you want one it is now very attainable to the enthusiast. Again you likely need another car from a practicality standpoint and obviously this is not the car you would likely ever want to take to a HPDE but the design is still absolutely unique and inspiring and the drive on the street is still perfect in my opinion. And even if i had all the money in the world it is still the car I would drive around in everyday.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
jcpca356164.00
      02-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #48
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Guys this is still an absolutely amazing car and a terrific value at market pricing (whatever that is). I'm very fortunately that I get to drive lots of new stuff. Got a few loaner toys this weekend. I love automotive motorsports and am a participant. I love all cars that inspire one way or another. This car is still the car I would drive everyday - I don't need 500hp to drive on the streets to work. I'm not racing anyone on the street. That is stupid. 130 hp battery only driving in silence is fine for 99% of the time. It's got gobs of torque instantaneously is u ever need to pass.

The i8 is rarely someone's only car. I mean you could if you didn't have kids or the need to carry anything. BMW built it to demonstrate the future of battery/ICE integration (among other tech and design innovations) as someone's second or third or fourth car. I have driven battery only cars and other ICE/battery integrated cars. BMW nailed it with the i8. Still to this day best of the best (i will exclude the P1, LaFerrari and 918 from this analysis as these are now mostly museum cars).

BMW at some point likely made an error in judgment when their was significant initial success for this car and then shifted production to make too many in 2015, leaving a glut on the market in 2016 dramatically reducing its value and never recovered. That's all you need to keep in mind. If you want one it is now very attainable to the enthusiast. Again you likely need another car from a practicality standpoint and obviously this is not the car you would likely ever want to take to a HPDE but the design is still absolutely unique and inspiring and the drive on the street is still perfect in my opinion. And even if i had all the money in the world it is still the car I would drive around in everyday.
Very well stated . You listed most of the reasons why I am super excited about getting the 2019 coupe that I have on order.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #49
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

Why pay so much for slow car.
Appreciate 1
AwesomeM31639.00
      02-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #50
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
All the negative sentiment, on a BMW FORUM no less, is all that needs to be told....

If BMW made it a legit performer, it would have been a much cooler car. I see it as a beach cruiser.

OP, more power to you. No hate. I guess I just have a firmer grip on my cash...
Gotta agree , this car certainly looks like a 150k car but doesn't perform like one . I had an i8 , I did love the car , but it's missing about 200 hp.
When I drove an NSX , I thought to myself this is what the i8 should have been like .
Appreciate 1
AwesomeM31639.00
      02-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #51
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post

It's all there. Spot on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #52
Madvillain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lada

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex8 View Post
everything eventually becomes slow depends on your idea of whats fast and what isnt. to some people a stock i8 is plenty fast while others will say a tuned m5 is slow. i8 is plenty fast in a straight line imo. it sets same 1/4 mile times as e92 m3(from a roll who knows the m3 is prob faster). anyways ya the price u pay for the performance isnt really worth it but the thing is def best lookin car for its price. very efficient and looks insane (just needs meaty tires to make it drive better) would really get that with anything else. a tesla p85 will pre as fast but youll have a shit interior and very basic styling inside and out.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #53
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
While there's a lot to criticize about the i8, it's got more power and speed than any person could possibly legally need in any of the United States. It's not a track car, so its use is on the public streets. For that it is plenty powerful and plenty fast. Unless you want to race pink slips on Brand Boulevard in Glendale at 2:00 a.m. on weekends.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #54
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Really? Speed is the ONLY thing?

My Timex keeps better time than my Breitling... Not really the point is it?

Guess you won't be buying any classic cars either....

If you want speed, why don't you just strap a rocket to some roller skates ala Wile E. Coyote...

Pretty myopic I think...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:20 AM   #55
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
And yet, as a car "not made for the masses" it underwhelms in all areas aside from aesthetics...kinda like a 320i..wait a sec, maybe it was built for the masses!!
...and yet, I very much enjoyed driving it on the track. We have one as a Fleet Car at the Autobahn Country Club.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #56
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh I understand what you're saying now....great example with the modelX. I got you man, makes sense.
(Wow! That's got to be an Internet first!)
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #57
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
I keep seeing people put down the i8 because it isn’t fast enough for a $150k vehicle.

I’ve driven a few cars that are not as fast but cost a lot more, and I’ve driven a few cars that are faster that cost a lot less. I’ve also driven cars that were much faster and cost a whole lot more. And cars that were slower and cost a lot less. If speed and price is your only criteria for what makes a car great, you have a lot to learn about cars.

Just because you pay a lot of money for a car doesn’t make it a great car. Sometimes it makes you look like a “sucker”. And just because your car is fast, also doesn’t make it a great car... instead it can make you look like an idiot when you see red lights in your mirror.

There is much more to being great car than either one of those traits.

Last edited by Coastali8; 02-20-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #58
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post
I keep seeing people put down the i8 because it isn’t fast enough for a $150k vehicle.

I’ve driven a few cars that are not as fast but cost a lot more, and I’ve driven a few cars that are faster that cost a lot less. I’ve also driven cars that were much faster and cost a whole lot more. And cars that were slower and cost a lot less. If speed and price is your only criteria for what makes a car great, you have a lot to learn about cars.

Just because you pay a lot of money for a car doesn’t make it a great car. Sometimes it makes you look like a “sucker”. And just because your car is fast, also doesn’t make it a great car... instead it can make you look like an idiot when you see red lights in your mirror.

That's 8 hooyahs!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #59
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal i8 View Post

I've seen some gussied up F150 Pickup trucks that had to have north of 150K in chrome and mudflaps alone! Those are the same folks that typically tell you you paid too much for your car...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #60
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Congrats! Can't wait to get my coupe
      03-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #61
moviebumm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Build your own finally on www.bmwusa.com
Appreciate 2
evanevery1111.00
AwesomeM31639.00
      03-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #62
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebumm View Post
Build your own finally on www.bmwusa.com
Glad to see they finally got this up on the BMWUSA site. I ordered mine (Crystal White coupe, Tera World, Radial spoke bi-color wheels) about 3 weeks ago but used the pricing guide issued February 1 to make my selections. Car completed production yesterday and is expected to arrive in Ca. early April.

Last edited by drlonline; 03-01-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
evanevery1111.00
      03-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #63
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for pointing out the configurator!

April! That's pretty quick. Is it a Roadster or Coupe?

My Roadster has a week 27 production date (July 1)...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #64
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I have had my i8 for over a year.....except for getting in/out of the car it has been the best compromise between comfort and sport for a daily driver. I think BMW nailed it for what the car is supposed to be a sporty GT.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #65
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the configurator!

April! That's pretty quick. Is it a Roadster or Coupe?

My Roadster has a week 27 production date (July 1)...
Mine's a coupe. I apparently caught a break with one of the earliest production slots for U.S. cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #66
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting to note that the configurator only appears to be up for the BMWUSA site. I checked both the U.K. and Germany BMW sites, and it isn't up for them yet. I wonder if the U.S. is the only market where one can actually order the car at this time.
Appreciate 0