Peggsy
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 & Jag Project 7

New Options for UK

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was just checking the uk online configurator and there are new non standard optional extras : Online Entertainment, eDrive Exterior Sound and Comfort Access.

I had been under the impression that these features were standard but they now all appear as for cost optional extras... Does anyone know if the prices only for new customers? or a temporary glitch?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggsy View Post
I was just checking the uk online configurator and there are new non standard optional extras : Online Entertainment, eDrive Exterior Sound and Comfort Access.

I had been under the impression that these features were standard but they now all appear as for cost optional extras... Does anyone know if the prices only for new customers? or a temporary glitch?
These are new options Peggsy.

'Online Services' is still included FOC, but the 'Online Entertainment' (£325), as with 'Internet' (£95) is a cost option. However, I notice it doesn't actually give any details wrt what each of these options actually are!

Maybe 'eDrive Exterior Sound' (£85) is an external sound emitted to warn others e.g. pedestrians that there is a car coming(?)

As for 'Comfort Access' (£795), again it doesn't actually give details as to what this option actually provides, but if it is keyless entry, then my understanding was that this was already included!

...Hmmm, having just checked the following 'Standard Spec' brochure (attached below), it says "Keyless starting of engine ignition" (ref. page 3) is standard spec, but makes no mention of Keyless entry! So maybe Comfort Access is keyless entry and the online configurator is right as they're making it a cost option, I hope not (I hope it's standard spec.)

T

Last edited by Tilum; 08-14-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Comfort access, at least on other Bimmers, is keyless entry (touch door handle to lock and unlock) and keyless start (key in pocket).

Without comfort access, new Bimmers have a start button but the key must be put into the ignition slot. So it is still kind of keyless start, but you can't keep the key in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The brochure states that keyless start is standard equipment on the i8. So it looks as though they are separating out Keyless start and Keyless entry from the Comfort Access package.

But from what you say, it seems to indicate that BMW are now making keyless entry a £795 cost option!

T
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilum View Post
The brochure states that keyless start is standard equipment on the i8. So it looks as though they are separating out Keyless start and Keyless entry from the Comfort Access package.

But from what you say, it seems to indicate that BMW are now making keyless entry a £795 cost option!

T
Which is sad, because it's standard on a $22k Fiesta ST.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

True but Comfort Access isn't standard on any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
True but Comfort Access isn't standard on any BMW.
And even sadder whe you consider that the hardware required to accept a key and the locking mechanism is more expensive than the wireless transmitter for keyless entry and go.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had it confirmed by my i dealer today:-
'Online Entertainment' (£325) is a year's subscription to a streaming service e.g. Napster, Spotify,...
'eDrive Exterior Sound' (£85) is an external sound emitted to warn others e.g. pedestrians that there is a car coming. If this is spec'd, the sound is defaulted to 'on', but the sound can be turned to off via a selection in the iDrive system.
'Comfort Access' (£795) is keyless entry.

I've spec'd the Comfort Access (for myself) and eDrive Exterior Sound (for future resale seen as it's not an expensive option).

T
Appreciate 0