BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
__vladster__
Rep
Drives: 1988 BMW 325ix

BMW i8 Interactive Walkaround

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I hope you guys enjoy this interactive walkaround I took with the Fyuse iPhone app!
-- First BMW i8 Interactive Walkaround --

This particular i8 starred in the world premiere commercial for the model. It was captured at the BMW Technology Office in the San Francisco Bay Area. I got to sit inside of it, but unfortunately I wasn't allow to drive it. But just seeing this beauty in person was an amazing experience.

And here's a look at the interior, which is just as stunning as the exterior:
-- BMW i8 Interactive Interior View --

These are best viewed in the Fyuse iPhone app. It's a much more immersive experience!

Last edited by __vladster__; 07-11-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
__vladster__
Rep

Did any of you guys get a chance to look at this? Any thoughts on it?

I myself am a developer of this app, and I'm a huge car fan, so I thought this would be a relevant place to post this awesome i8 capture.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to PM me or reply on here.
      07-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I looked at it on my computer, not on a phone. I'll check out the iPhone app and see if I can provide some feedback. It's a cool idea for sure and kudos for putting an app out there.

It's been on my "to do" list for way too long and I still never have/make the time to work on my own app.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

I looked at it on a laptop and I struggled to get it to work using the touchpad or touchscreen to rotate the image. I seem to recall the first time I tried it it was an interactive view of the exterior, but just tried it again now and it's of the interior! Have I lost the plot?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
ddk632
United_States
Rep

There are two separate pieces, one of the exterior, one of the interior. OP does mention that you don't get the best experience on a computer.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Don't have the Fyuse iPhone app, as fortunately I don't have an iPhone LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Ok so I downloaded the app and on the iPhone it's pretty cool. You move the phone around (I have an office chair that spins, so for example I spin left to right and vice versa) and the image does it's predefined thing according to the direction you move in. The movement (once fully loaded) is also very smooth.

Reminds me of that 360 degree camera concept (Panono Ball Camera), but not as elaborate as that. It appears to basically take a video, preload all of the frames, and then rewind/fast-forward the video as you move. Once it finishes loading and you get the full image it's kind of cool, but I think it also depends on who is doing the recording. So you have to record a video that makes sense in that context, or else it is confusing.

I'd say some better mouse support would be nice for the PC, but on the iPhone once you load the image to full screen it's pretty intuitive. Also some small, unobtrusive indicator (both on phone and PC) of when the preload is fully complete would also be useful, I think.

One thing I don't like about this sort of thing is that you need a special app to view your "pictures". It's one of the thing that keeps me from this type of product; although with this one, you don't need any hardware, still if you want anyone else to look at it, they have to have the app, sign up, find you and follow you, etc.. To find _vladster_ I had to do all that because the Explore function (search) is disabled unless you have an account.

Interesting concept nevertheless.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
ddk632
United_States
Rep

And, it's awesome that you got to sit inside the i8, OP.

I have the feeling that the first time I ever get to sit in one, the dealer will be handing me the keys and I'll be bringing her home!

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #9
__vladster__
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
I'd say some better mouse support would be nice for the PC, but on the iPhone once you load the image to full screen it's pretty intuitive. Also some small, unobtrusive indicator (both on phone and PC) of when the preload is fully complete would also be useful, I think.
Thanks for the great feedback! I will relay this to the team and we will work on making the browser experience much better. Also, you make a good point about the Explore option not working unless you're signed up.

By the way, check out these new i8 fyuses another user posted. This time it's in the gorgeous Protonic Blue:

http://fyu.se/v/7eb4b2a5

http://fyu.se/v/8633bd3c
      07-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
__vladster__
Rep

ddk632 - you have the most beautiful X6M I've seen to date. I love the color combination. It looks amazing.

You should fyuse your X6M and post it up! I bet a lot of people will be interested in seeing that pop up in the app. I know I would be!