United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

i8 Display Key

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Originally Posted by Tilum in another thread:

Quote:
SCOTT26, Just spoken to BMW i dealer again and he's said that whist he acknowledges that Display Keys have been produced for people to see, that they were actually a dummy unit, and he is not aware of any real life, fully working prototype Display Key.
So when you say "I am in China at the moment and we are illustrating the display key", do you mean you're illustrating a picture of it, a dummy unit, or a fully functioning 'Display Key'?
Reply from Scott26:

Quote:
The official media documentation for China i8 lists the display key , as I have mentioned previously the first i8s are the first production models built specifically for global demonstrators and evaluation fleet at BMW AG . These use the i3 key. The display key will arrive for customer production models.
Scott26, having not heard anything on this subject for awhile, I thought I would ping you to see if there is any update on the display key. We noticed that for the first 8 customer cars delivered at the Welt that they did not include the display key, so we're all wondering if BMW's plans have changed. Thanks for any info you can share.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
JET500
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I have seen an internal BMW publication to dealers confirming that the display key will not be available until further notice!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
US dealers are still in the dark about the basic car, options, and when orders will open up so no surprise about the Display Key mystery. Got a email today apologizing for them not knowing more and for the constant delays.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET500 View Post
I have seen an internal BMW publication to dealers confirming that the display key will not be available until further notice!
Bummer, this seems to have put the nail in the coffin for the imminent future at least. But it does line up with what my i dealer has been telling me all along.

T

Last edited by Tilum; 06-28-2014 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Really disappointed about this. Hopefully it will not be dropped completely and will still be developed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

That was my hope too, hence I asked for a caviat in my contract should it become available any time soon.

T
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Have now had it confirmed from my contact at BMWNA that the display key did not make it to production. Apparently virtually all of the features that it was to provide are already available via the BMW Remote smartphone app. As such, they may have concluded it wasn't worth it to provide a smart key that didn't have more functionality that one can get in their existing phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Have now had it confirmed from my contact at BMWNA that the display key did not make it to production. Apparently virtually all of the features that it was to provide are already available via the BMW Remote smartphone app. As such, they may have concluded it wasn't worth it to provide a smart key that didn't have more functionality that one can get in their existing phones.
That really, really sucks.

And is a BS answer.

It was so perfect for this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

True, especially after getting everyone's hopes up. But it was as I was expecting TBH.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

While perfect and very cool looking, I certainly don't need a bulky item in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Yes they have decided to abandon the display key for now , although a new key similar is being developed for the all new 7er.

The silver lining however is BMW and a technology partner they have aligned with are developing a smart phone.