BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #67
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoPaterson View Post
It looks like the new i8 has a smoother front hood with raised shutters for the air flow up through the electric motor, as opposed to the existing design, which had that hole in the black part of the hood.

I think the new black shutters, from what I can make out, look much better and I wonder if we'll be able to upgrade to them?!

Anyone seen them or any thoughts?
Thank you for helping get this thread back on track!! Great Q!!! I think you are correct:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2018/01/15/20...-lci-facelift/

Compare with :

FWIW, if $ not an issue ($150k?), my fav is the 2019 coupe in Donnington gray w the wild orange/gray interior and lightweight black wheels. Via ED -- a month in Europe with an i8 would be awesome!!! Tough choice when a 2017 protonic dark silver can be had for $120k, or a certified 2015 for $85k...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #68
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You can call Elon's visions pure vapor - it doesn't matter... (I bought my Model X when it was still "vapor")

You can say the batteries are much too heavy - it doesn't matter...

You can nit pick all you want - it doesn't matter...

What DOES matter is that Tesla is killing BMW EV sales in a very effective manner. Tesla is building cars that people want. BMW, by quantitative comparison, is clearly losing this battle. There is no denying the numbers. You can argue about this and that but it really doesn't matter... You can think its just not right, but it really doesn't matter...

The 2017 world sales (Jan-Nov) has Tesla selling over 40,812 Models and X/S/3's to BMW's 6,012 i3/i8's. That's called "losing" in anyone's book.

Its quite obvious the Tesla ***IS*** building more of the EV's that the world wants than BMW. The sales numbers clearly indicate this:

https://insideevs.com/november-2017-...s-report-card/

I'm happy to own both, but there is no question which one will be my daily driver and goto EV for everything but summer jaunts with the top down.

Sorry but the weight does matter to me - I don't want to drive a big heavy barge that doesn't handle. And as I said Tesla do make cars that people want to buy, I'm not nit-picking and happily admit Tesla's strong points. you on the other hand are apparently an inner member of the Tesla cult and all else is inferior by comparison.

Parting thought before I shut up, while Tesla were busy shoving heavy batteries into a large barge of a car and selling a few tens of thousands, BMW sold 2.5 MILLION cars (in 2017) and profits of around 6.5 BILLION dollars. That's an awful lot of people who didn't buy a Tesla.
When BMW (and Mercedes, Ford, VAG etc...) get seriously into electrics, Tesla will feel the repercussions and will simply become a small-scale curiosity (rather like the i8/i3 and Tesla is right now).
      01-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #69
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
if you say so, since your name is Malibu Bimmer, you must know everything how the world will change in the next coming years. please tell me more. What will happen in 2026?
You said Tesla is "crushing it" with its "electric motors and batteries." I don't think that statement is defensible, from any perspective, either technologically or industrially. Technologically Tesla's batteries are 20 years old. Their electric motors use technology almost 100 years old. Tesla's production caspabilities lead to 90% quality control problems that require additional significant work on most of the cars after they leave the assembly line.

Like Henrik Fisker, Elon Musk talks a big game when it comes to his cars, but unlike his rockets the cold hard truth is he has not advanced the technology. So talking about "crushing it" may be a colorful phrase, but it has no basis in fact.

And, what of the 7,000 laptop size batteries per car. Can you answer that question?
That was me. Sorry you got us confused. I hope your predictions are correct. Credit where credit is due. The big car companies wouldn't be rushing to catch up if not for what Tesla has done. So even with all the flaws, they have at least hopefully lite a fire in the industry.
Doesn't BMW still over CD players?
      01-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #70
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
SCOTT26

Can you please let ut know why you are keeping "automatic" column stalks on i3/i8/X1 and have went over to "mechanical" stalks on all other vehicles? Why can't BMW offer both solutions? For me, this is a big dealbreaker when I considering about buying new car.. I really HATE your new, mechanical versions.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #71
Kh4N
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 touring, F30 saloon

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #72
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

still trying to understand why these people did not change the car at all?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #73
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
still trying to understand why these people did not change the car at all?
What, apart from making it a convertible?

Pretty significant change.
Appreciate 0