BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

02-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Chooky
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 Rex

Erratic Charge Readings

Hello
Drove out with 92kms range and within 5kms it dropped to 72K!!
Anyone out there having the same issue?
Cheers
Chooky
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooky View Post
Hello
Drove out with 92kms range and within 5kms it dropped to 72K!!
Anyone out there having the same issue?
Nothing erratic about that.

Mileage estimate is just that, identical to the "range" estimate in ICE cars.
Both extrapolate range from the most recent driving consumption patterns. So if you drove downhill to your garage, but uphill from it, expect the range estimation to fluctuate as you had described.

On top of that, range estimation is hugely influenced by the driving mode you are in. As you switch from Comfort -> Eco -> Eco Plus modes, range will increase.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I disagree here...
I have recently had the same issue. Parked the car in the evening with 92km's left in Comfort mode. Got in the next morning with 85km on the clock from preconditioning which is fine, but within 5 mild eco pro km's I'm at 65km's.......not cool!!
If I had planned a 80km trip based on what I had left in comfort mode in the evening, I'd be screwed the next day for my trip...even in EcoPro.
This is indeed erratic, especially when the driving style during the massive km's lost is very mild.
With today's tech, minor temp differences between mornings and afternoons etc should be more accurate. I would prefer to see 70km's in the evening and then find I have an extra few km's in the am, based on conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Nothing erratic about that.

Mileage estimate is just that, identical to the "range" estimate in ICE cars.
Both extrapolate range from the most recent driving consumption patterns. So if you drove downhill to your garage, but uphill from it, expect the range estimation to fluctuate as you had described.

On top of that, range estimation is hugely influenced by the driving mode you are in. As you switch from Comfort -> Eco -> Eco Plus modes, range will increase.

HTH,
a
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
I disagree here...
I have recently had the same issue. Parked the car in the evening with 92km's left in Comfort mode. Got in the next morning with 85km on the clock from preconditioning which is fine, but within 5 mild eco pro km's I'm at 65km's.......not cool!!
If I had planned a 80km trip based on what I had left in comfort mode in the evening, I'd be screwed the next day for my trip...even in EcoPro.
No, you would not be.
You are confusing estimation of future usage based on past data, with the actual battery charge.
Same as confusing ICE car's estimated range vs. looking at the gas gauge to see how much gas you have in the tank. The former varies, the latter is the truth.

Same in EV cars.
If you know how full your batteries are, and you know the distance you want to drive is within known range of battery % charge (or have driven it before), then you know you can complete the trip. Regardless of what your range guesstimation meter (GOM) displays.

Quote:
I would prefer to see 70km's in the evening and then find I have an extra few km's in the am, based on conditions
If you precondition the car, and weather obliges with more mild ambient temps in the morning then the night before, you will.
And still, that number will have most infotainment value.

Range estimation is just a guess-timate that is guaranteed to be wrong. It linearly extrapolates consumption based on past driving style, weather, speed, terrain, etc.

The past consumption averages are never right for future travel range estimation purposes unless you drive the exact same pancake-flat road, the same way, with the same traffic conditions, in the same ambient temps, in same driving mode ... all the time.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 04-01-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well either way theirs a recall going on right now for the mileage estimator.

Call your dealer and see if you need the new software updated.

I've driven 5 miles with my milage estimator flat lined before so you can also use your percentage meter vs mileage.

But I can also drive 15 miles and my estimator drops only 5 miles or less so it's hardly perfect.

Your mileage is affected by air temps .... why aren't you charging over night anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
-c-
The conversation is hypothetical. I do charge my car at night if it's low. Assume you visit a friend 80km's away. You stay the night with 80km's of range showing after driving to his house in comfort at 75mph. The next morning you wake up with similar temps as in the evening, but you gauge tells you that 50km's is all you got.
-afadeev-
By your comparison, you should be able to park your M3 in the evening with 1/2 tank, only to wake up in the morning to have the same gauge read 1/4 tank....that's what you're indicating.
So in my case I was driving in Comfort (least economical) with a/c running. Upon stopping xx range was left. The next morning in similar temperature, before even moving or pre-conditioning it was 30% less than when parked in the evening (even in eco pro). That's significant!
-c- Thanks for the update info. I'll talk to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Relying on your friends to charge your battery with their power is to me wishful thinking. Why should friends pay for your battery charge and embarrassing for your friend to accept or ask for some money.
      04-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
VacMan1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3, 2015 Msport X1

Quote:
-c-
The conversation is hypothetical. I do charge my car at night if it's low. Assume you visit a friend 80km's away. You stay the night with 80km's of range showing after driving to his house in comfort at 75mph. The next morning you wake up with similar temps as in the evening, but you gauge tells you that 50km's is all you got.
-afadeev-
By your comparison, you should be able to park your M3 in the evening with 1/2 tank, only to wake up in the morning to have the same gauge read 1/4 tank....that's what you're indicating.
So in my case I was driving in Comfort (least economical) with a/c running. Upon stopping xx range was left. The next morning in similar temperature, before even moving or pre-conditioning it was 30% less than when parked in the evening (even in eco pro). That's significant!
-c- Thanks for the update info. I'll talk to my dealer.
Your analogy isn't accurate. It's more like your M3 says you have 150 miles of range based on your average consumption and available fuel and then you accelerate flat out to 120mph onto the autobahn. Your range remaining would drop just as quickly. It's determined by current usage and available reserves.

Just this week I left Santa Clarita with ~120 miles of range and drove 80mph for half an hour and was down to ~75 miles of range. Then I hit the LA traffic wall and slowed to 30mph. My projected range literally increased as I drove in traffic. Why? Because it takes geometrically more energy to do 80mph than to do 30mph, meaning the car could go further with the reserves based on the average usage at the time and so consequently displayed a higher available range. It's not rocket surgery.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
-c-
-afadeev-
No, read my post one more time, see if you get it on the second pass.

If not, go file a class-action lawsuit.
Make sure to prepay lawyer fees upfront.

a
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:50 AM   #10
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacMan1 View Post
Your analogy isn't accurate. It's more like your M3 says you have 150 miles of range based on your average consumption and available fuel and then you accelerate flat out to 120mph onto the autobahn. Your range remaining would drop just as quickly. It's determined by current usage and available reserves.

Just this week I left Santa Clarita with ~120 miles of range and drove 80mph for half an hour and was down to ~75 miles of range. Then I hit the LA traffic wall and slowed to 30mph. My projected range literally increased as I drove in traffic. Why? Because it takes geometrically more energy to do 80mph than to do 30mph, meaning the car could go further with the reserves based on the average usage at the time and so consequently displayed a higher available range. It's not rocket surgery.
First off, I get it....I'm not 3yrs old.
While it's true that if I blast down the road at 120mph my estimated range goes down, I can look at that range when I get out of the car, and know that I will get at least what the range shows if I drive normal tomorrow. Not so in the i3.
Point is...all conditions being nearly identical (ie not blasting at 120mph etc). The gauge should not vary by 30% from one regular driving event to another(same stretch of road). As a matter of fact if I drive non-conservative on the first day, then on the second day it should at least be were you left off (especially in eco-pro) not 30% less from the start!
Just admit it, the range display is very much an inaccurate guess meter!
I'm not trying to be argumentitive, just want to make clear that "YES", it's a guessmeter not a fully accurate 'range gauge'.
-afadeev- I understand what you are saying, but I'm not comfortable enough to use the % yet. If the car tells me 40% I wouldn't know if that translates to 50mls or 30mls.

Last edited by Fast400; 04-02-2017 at 01:57 AM..
Appreciate 0