BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-28-2024, 02:18 AM   #1
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

HV system reset

I haven't been able to find a solution for collision damage repaired I series cars. The pyro fuse disconnects the HV battery and inverter and without taking the vehicle to BMW, which is not an option anyway (they refused to work on a salvage car) there is no way to reset the system after the repair. Anyone have a solution yet? No luck with Ista + or Bimmercode so there has to be some software that can do this with all the BMW hybrids out there now.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 06:01 AM   #2
avdept
Rep
Drives: None

Did you actually replace positive cable on low voltage battery? Besides pyrofuse, there's also 2 tiny wires which cuts off when puro fuse blows. Symptoms - car wakes up, but engine wont start. I fixed mine(after accident) in a same way
Restoring positive wire wont help, since they can't restore those 2 tiny wires
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 01:30 PM   #3
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdept View Post
Did you actually replace positive cable on low voltage battery? Besides pyrofuse, there's also 2 tiny wires which cuts off when puro fuse blows. Symptoms - car wakes up, but engine wont start. I fixed mine(after accident) in a same way
Restoring positive wire wont help, since they can't restore those 2 tiny wires
What wires are you referring to? Yes I did replace the terminal and pyro fuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 02:36 PM   #4
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

when the car was in a crash it sets a flag in the SME to lock the functionality of the contactors in the S-box.
in the regular case you would need a BMW EOS tester session to check the HV battery for health and integrety but the EOS tester writes it's lock bit just at the end of the check session when it also generates the 12 digit code which is needed in ISTA to reactivate the locked status of the HV contactors.
I found a lock bit in the SME which i can reset without the need of the 12 digit EOS code but i could not yet test this in a real life crash situation to check if this is the same lockbit which is set by the EOS tester and/or the airbag module....
When you can install Ediabas Tool 32 i can guide you through the process to check if this will unlock the contactors of your HV battery...
i'm also curious about those two "tiny wires"- where are they located ??
Appreciate 0