BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

08-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
RichardL321
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BEV 120AH

i3 AM Radio

I was coming up with a list of things I would like to address by recoding on my i3.

The lack of an AM radio is one thing I would like to get changed. Has anyone done that and is the interference caused by the car's electronics really degrade the AM Radio reception?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I have done it. It does not interfere with vehicle. The electric motor occasionally interferes with AM reception.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

You can always try finding an app that will stream AM radio.

e.g. myTuner Radio - Live AM / FM Radio Stations and Online Radios by Appgeneration Software
https://appsto.re/us/k5JbF.i
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardL321 View Post
I was coming up with a list of things I would like to address by recoding on my i3.

The lack of an AM radio is one thing I would like to get changed. Has anyone done that and is the interference caused by the car's electronics really degrade the AM Radio reception?
I coded AM radio back in, but still can't find a single AM station that would displace one of the FMs in the row of shortcut buttons. Whenever I explore AM stations, about a dozen of them come through, but always with some background noise. Level of distortion does not change with transmission in D vs. N or P, but I don't know whether the electric engine's interference varies between the tranny modes.

Enable AM radio (HU_NBT module). There is also an option to turn Weather Band radio, but it still doesn't show up in my list of radio sources (though AM does; must be another option that needs to be coded that I haven't found yet).

As to other things to modify via coding, here is my rough top-10 list, in no particular order:
1. Enable "hold REX" mode for REX cars to manually turn on REX engine. Also adjust REX auto-kickoff point to lower % of battery (or higher if you need more safety margin) than default 6%.
2. Enable full REX gas tank capacity of 9L vs. US default 8L.
3. Remove all the legal disclaimers and warnings.
4. Remove seat belt warning chimes and warning lights
5. Disable doors and trunk auto-lock upon driving off
6. Set one-push turn signal counter to 5 (from default 3)
7. Code-in enhanced blue-tooth, and allow pairing and full BT and Office functionality at all speeds
8. Enable AM/WB radio
9. Enable rear view camera at all speeds
10. Turn on tire temps and PSI on tire monitor screen
11-99. Enable video playback through Nav screen at all speeds and lots of our misc features...

All for free!

a
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
I coded AM radio back in, but still can't find a single AM station that would displace one of the FMs in the row of shortcut buttons. Whenever I explore AM stations, about a dozen of them come through, but always with some background noise. Level of distortion does not change with transmission in D vs. N or P, but I don't know whether the electric engine's interference varies between the tranny modes.

Enable AM radio (HU_NBT module). There is also an option to turn Weather Band radio, but it still doesn't show up in my list of radio sources (though AM does; must be another option that needs to be coded that I haven't found yet).
The physical electrical engine interferes. It will not change whether vehicle is in Drive, Neutral, or Park. The interference will change depending on whether driving in tunnels or under overpasses.

Weather band only works on HU_CIC.
Appreciate 0