BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

06-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
megabmw
Private
Rep
Drives: GT 630dx and i3

BMW i3 - iDrive 5.0

Anyone heard when iDrive 5.0 will be adapted to the i3?
X3, 3-Series GT, X5 already got it for the 2017 production.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabmw View Post
No official word yet.

If you go by the iDrive 5 reviews, it adds a larger touch screen, buggy gesture control, and optional WiFi hotspot service:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/379221/b...ve-5-0-review/

Key No's:
- No Apple CarPlay
- No Android Auto
- No Google or live satellite map integration

I don't see how touch screen is of any use with i3 interior space layout - you just can't reach the Nav screen easily.

Still, too many No's...

a
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Originally Posted by megabmw View Post
No official word yet.

If you go by the iDrive 5 reviews, it adds a larger touch screen, buggy gesture control, and optional WiFi hotspot service:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/379221/b...ve-5-0-review/

Key No's:
- No Apple CarPlay
- No Android Auto
- No Google or live satellite map integration

I don't see how touch screen is of any use with i3 interior space layout - you just can't reach the Nav screen easily.

Still, too many No's...

a
I personally hate touch screen in cars! They get all cheesed up with finger prints and look like ass so you have to constantly clean them, plus while your bouncing around on the bad roads it sucks to hit where you want to hit with your arm extended.

More than happy with the scroll wheel. It's comfortable to navigate without having to reach out all the time And the screen always looks clean and beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I personally hate touch screen in cars! They get all cheesed up with finger prints and look like ass so you have to constantly clean them, plus while your bouncing around on the bad roads it sucks to hit where you want to hit with your arm extended.
I'm sort of back-and-forth on that one.
Logically, I agree with your analysis.

But I also travel, and rent a bunch of cars with foreign-to-me Nav UIs.
On the few of the rentals that had touch-screens (Toyotas, Hyundais, GMs), learning a brand new Nav menu was fairly straight forward.

On BMWs, however, Nav screens a positioned so far away from the driver, that reach and interacting with them would be a PITA.

Quote:
More than happy with the scroll wheel. It's comfortable to navigate without having to reach out all the time And the screen always looks clean and beautiful.
You really need to position the touch screen within an arm's reach of the driver. Basically, it needs to go in place of the Radio / central air-vents on normal bimmers. On an i3, it would need to replace all the buttons that go into the mini-central dash cluster.

Again, this can be done, but probably not without investing into a major interior re-design. Based on everything we are hearing, BMW has all but shut down investment into the existing line-up of the EVs, focusing on driverless technology that can cross pollinate into ICE product lineup.
In other words - not likely.

a
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
I'm sort of back-and-forth on that one.
Logically, I agree with your analysis.

But I also travel, and rent a bunch of cars with foreign-to-me Nav UIs.
On the few of the rentals that had touch-screens (Toyotas, Hyundais, GMs), learning a brand new Nav menu was fairly straight forward.

On BMWs, however, Nav screens a positioned so far away from the driver, that reach and interacting with them would be a PITA.

Quote:
You really need to position the touch screen within an arm's reach of the driver. Basically, it needs to go in place of the Radio / central air-vents on normal bimmers. On an i3, it would need to replace all the buttons that go into the mini-central dash cluster.

Again, this can be done, but probably not without investing into a major interior re-design. Based on everything we are hearing, BMW has all but shut down investment into the existing line-up of the EVs, focusing on driverless technology that can cross pollinate into ICE product lineup.
In other words - not likely.

a
Yea it's more of my opinion anyhow, I love touch screens have them in my house as its a smart home and everything is automated so it will probably be hacked one day ;p.

But as far as cars go I never cared for it. Mostly because years of hot clay laying and drawing and all that jazz has built up the skin on my fingers and the touch screens don't always register my commands. It one thing standing in the hallway of your house and it taking a couple hits but in a car it's much more aggravating.

With the "I drive wheel" I don't have that problem.

My dad is a carpenter and his touchscreen never works for him and it aggravates him something fierce, funny as many people don't have this issue but if your affected by it you know how aggravating it is. Either got to use a stylus or gloves with the capacitive teck in them.

But alas I'm OCD on my car being clean all the time so finger prints drive me nuts. So the standard non touch screens work for me. But again that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 04:13 AM   #6
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

I asked this question at the BMW Genius, he tells me the i3 will be "face lifted" in 2018 and receive updates to the idrive. This does not have to be accurate, but that is what I'm told. Recently test drove the car and I found it pretty awesome for what it needs to do to meet our needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I asked this question at the BMW Genius, he tells me the i3 will be "face lifted" in 2018 and receive updates to the idrive. This does not have to be accurate, but that is what I'm told. Recently test drove the car and I found it pretty awesome for what it needs to do to meet our needs.
That doesn't seem right. The 2017 was suppose to be the LCI with the biggest change being the larger battery. I doubt BMW would redesign the dash and interior to fit the new iDrive next year. The i3 layout doesn't accommodate a touch screen and would be a major change for little improvement. I would say this will stay with the current system until a new i3 redesign in 2-3 years or so.

I've played with the new idrive a bit and... meeeh. Does nothing for me. Wouldn't make me upgrade my i3 even if it did come available.
Appreciate 0