BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Dealer "Program" - to fix issue on milage display

Has anyone else been called in to have the i3 reprogrammed to fix a supposed fault on the miles remaining display?

I had the work done to add the %charge a few months ago but was called back last week supposed to be because the miles remaining display was out on some i3s - was not a problem on mine but they had it for 2 days and now I cannot charge it so its going back tomorrow.

Anyone else had this?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Has anyone else been called in to have the i3 reprogrammed to fix a supposed fault on the miles remaining display?
BMW rolls out software updates about 2x / year, so if you haven't been to the dealer for over 6 months, chances are BMW may have an update for you. Whether, or not, the dealer loads new software updates for your car depends on their competence, awareness of the software release cycles, and your willingness to accept new updates. Lately, I've been asking mine not to update the software on the i3 to avoid having to re-code the car to my liking.

Miles remaining, otherwise know as Guess-O-Meter (GOM), works exactly the same way as "range" estimation on gasoline powered cars. It's a algorithm that projects how many more miles of driving you have on remaining battery charge based on the recent consumption pattern. It's about as useful as Range is on ICE cars - it gives you a general idea, but never too precisely.

Some of the recent i3 software updates have introduced erring on the side of optimistic forecasting, making some owners happy (thinking they have more range), and others frustrated (that the increased ranges is an illusion). YMMV.

Quote:
I had the work done to add the %charge a few months ago but was called back last week supposed to be because the miles remaining display was out on some i3s - was not a problem on mine but they had it for 2 days and now I cannot charge it so its going back tomorrow.
Whenever BMW NA reimburses the dealer for the services, their willingness to perform that service increases exponentially.
% charge, if memory serves, came out with Nov'15 update, so it's been out for a while.

Do take the car back to the dealer to fix what they had screwed up, and you may want to be a bit selective with trusting them to touch your car unnecessarily in the future.

a
Appreciate 1
plymjack120.00
      09-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
BMW rolls out software updates about 2x / year, so if you haven't been to the dealer for over 6 months, chances are BMW may have an update for you. Whether, or not, the dealer loads new software updates for your car depends on their competence, awareness of the software release cycles, and your willingness to accept new updates. Lately, I've been asking mine not to update the software on the i3 to avoid having to re-code the car to my liking.

Miles remaining, otherwise know as Guess-O-Meter (GOM), works exactly the same way as "range" estimation on gasoline powered cars. It's a algorithm that projects how many more miles of driving you have on remaining battery charge based on the recent consumption pattern. It's about as useful as Range is on ICE cars - it gives you a general idea, but never too precisely.

Some of the recent i3 software updates have introduced erring on the side of optimistic forecasting, making some owners happy (thinking they have more range), and others frustrated (that the increased ranges is an illusion). YMMV.

Quote:
Whenever BMW NA reimburses the dealer for the services, their willingness to perform that service increases exponentially.
% charge, if memory serves, came out with Nov'15 update, so it's been out for a while.

Do take the car back to the dealer to fix what they had screwed up, and you may want to be a bit selective with trusting them to touch your car unnecessarily in the future.

a
I don't know but I regularly get over 100 miles with mine, in Eco pro plus only however.

Best was almost 120 miles. The guess o meter was just counting real slow, like I traveled 6 miles and it stayed where it was at. But I've driven it where it said 0 and had about 5% left to go. So it's usually showing less miles than what I can actually travel. Works for me!! .
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I don't know but I regularly get over 100 miles with mine, in Eco pro plus only however.

Best was almost 120 miles.
You must have a gen1 BEV.
I have a gen1 REX, and 100.x miles was my best ever, usually getting ~80-90 miles on a highway in Eco+, lower when AC or heaters are ON (for either the cabin or the battery compartment).

Quote:
The guess o meter was just counting real slow, like I traveled 6 miles and it stayed where it was at. But I've driven it where it said 0 and had about 5% left to go. So it's usually showing less miles than what I can actually travel. Works for me!! .
For me, GOM jumps around based on the consumption of the previous 5-10 miles. On ICE BMWs, the Range is updated based on the previous 15 miles driven. I don't know how much of historical consumption GOM is using.

The biggest differentiator for me is who drove the car for me the night before. My wife regularly flogs the i3 in Comfort mode, so if I start driving in the morning, I can usually drive all 12 miles to work in Eco+ mode and GOM's estimation will remain projecting 90 miles to go throughout.
If I park it and she takes it out, I suspect her GOM estimate plummets rapidly

a
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:

Best was almost 120 miles.
You must have a gen1 BEV.
I have a gen1 REX, and 100.x miles was my best ever, usually getting ~80-90 miles on a highway in Eco+, lower when AC or heaters are ON (for either the cabin or the battery compartment).

Quote:
The guess o meter was just counting real slow, like I traveled 6 miles and it stayed where it was at. But I've driven it where it said 0 and had about 5% left to go. So it's usually showing less miles than what I can actually travel. Works for me!! .
For me, GOM jumps around based on the consumption of the previous 5-10 miles. On ICE BMWs, the Range is updated based on the previous 15 miles driven. I don't know how much of historical consumption GOM is using.

The biggest differentiator for me is who drove the car for me the night before. My wife regularly flogs the i3 in Comfort mode, so if I start driving in the morning, I can usually drive all 12 miles to work in Eco+ mode and GOM's estimation will remain projecting 90 miles to go throughout.
If I park it and she takes it out, I suspect her GOM estimate plummets rapidly

a
Yep just the BEV
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
My i3's GOM has been completely off... maybe I need to bring it in for the new software update.
Appreciate 0