BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
MiPlane
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3

How to code off reverse dong sound?

Am in New Zealand so not able to drop by but my i3 came from Japan and has the annoying reversing dong. Whenever you go into reverse it starts this reverse donging sound. Do you know the coding change required to stop this happening? Would appreciate knowing which module it is in.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiPlane View Post
Am in New Zealand so not able to drop by but my i3 came from Japan and has the annoying reversing dong. Whenever you go into reverse it starts this reverse donging sound. Do you know the coding change required to stop this happening? Would appreciate knowing which module it is in.
KOMBI.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
MiPlane
Registered
Rep

Thanks for advising the module. Just wondering if you had any other clues to locate the reversing gong sound to turn it off. There are a lot of options in their and I've searched for 'reverse' and the german equivalent 'umkehren' and 'sound' and 'klingon' but can't find anything for those words.

The options in KOMBI are:
Anzeige_Konfiguration, 4E
CC_ID_Sperre, 80
FZG_Ausstattung, 2B
ERM_Konfiguration, 20
Tank, 58
A_Temp, 07
KI_Dimmung, 24
PIA_Einheiten, 10
CBS_Konfiguration 20
Fahrgestell_Nr, 07
KI_Parameter, 6C
ECO_FDS, 46
HUD_Parameter, 88
CAF_ID,08
SIGNATURE, 44

I can send the .fwl file if helpful.

Thanks,
Stephen
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for advising the module. Just wondering if you had any other clues to locate the reversing gong sound to turn it off. There are a lot of options in their and I've searched for 'reverse' and the german equivalent 'umkehren' and 'sound' and 'klingon' but can't find anything for those words.
R_GANG_AKUSTIK_ENABLE: aktiv --> nicht_aktiv
Comment = Aktiviert den Rueckwaertsgang-Gong fuer Japan (Translation = Activate the reverse-Gong for Japan)

What *.fwl file?

Last edited by Almaretto; 10-18-2016 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
MiPlane
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much. This was successful and got rid of that annoying sound.

The .fwl file seems to be an export of all the settings of that module and is accessed when using Save As.. from the File menu.

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much. This was successful and got rid of that annoying sound.

The .fwl file seems to be an export of all the settings of that module and is accessed when using Save As.. from the File menu.

Thanks a lot
You are very welcome. I have never coded in that function, but I can see it being very annoying.

Thanks; I had forgotten about *.fwl files. I always just read NCD's in E-sys or TM's NCD / CAF Tool.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

On the subject of Kombi, for US spec 2017 Rex models the fuel tank size is still software limited, mine was anyway. Coded and gained additional 24 miles of range. Phone and connected drive apps now show full level too.

I was never able to add more than approximately 2 us gallons.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolak View Post
On the subject of Kombi, for US spec 2017 Rex models the fuel tank size is still software limited, mine was anyway. Coded and gained additional 24 miles of range. Phone and connected drive apps now show full level too.

This?

Increase computer-limited fuel tank capacity of REX to full 2.4 US Gallons physical capacity
  • 3005 >TNK_VOLL_ANZEIGE > 8_liter
  • 3005 > TNK_LITER_RECHTS > mcv_rex_liter_kl_rechts
  • 3005 > TNK_OHM_RECHTS> mcv_rex_ohm_kl_rechts
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
nicolak
Private
Rep

Correct. I had read or understood that with the increased battery capacity of the second gen that the range extender could no longer out perform the battery. This would then allow the reduced capacity to be lifted in accordance with the California BEVX designation.

My vehicle was one of the first to be imported to the US, perhaps other 17 US spec models will not have this limit still in place.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Correct. I had read or understood that with the increased battery capacity of the second gen that the range extender could no longer out perform the battery. This would then allow the reduced capacity to be lifted in accordance with the California BEVX designation.

My vehicle was one of the first to be imported to the US, perhaps other 17 US spec models will not have this limit still in place.
Wait, are you saying you have gen2 REX, and it came with the 7 liter gas tank configuration?
If so, someone at BMW NA must have goofed up!

Quote:
I had coded my gen1 REX a few months ago, and can add ~2.2 gallons when filling from empty.

It helps to have coded HU_NBT to allow manual REX turn on/off management. This helps on road trips, allowing you to burn up all the gas while still preserving upto 75% battery charge. Then you can drive off battery looking for a gas station with minimum anxiety:
3000 : EV_MENU_AVAILABLE set to: aktiv

a
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
nicolak
Private
Rep

I have coded hold state of charge also, first item I did after delivery. Where I live there is zero infrastructure and having the range extender to function as designed was important. I rarely use it but has been handy on a few occasions.

Yes, filling the fuel tank I have never been able to add more than 2 gallons. I have gone so far as to overfill (fuel running down fender overfilled) and still less than 2 gallons. I am purposely using the rex to run the fuel out, will repost an update if anyone besides myself is curious.

My apologies to the OP, did not want to start a new thread and thought my kombi discovery would somewhat fit in here.

Goes without saying but just in case the fuel tank was empty so far as computers were concerned. Rex was unavailable, zero miles remaining, unable to activate 'hold state of charge', etc. Results repeatedly repeated.

Last edited by nicolak; 11-04-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0