Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19818914 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MULA_1 View Post
I like my i8 but come again: "Delivers the same acceleration we've experienced in the Porsche 911 Turbo".

Yeah so what year 911 Turbo? It was 20 years ago the last time a Porsche Turbo did something like 12.5 in the quarter mile. Any model since 2010 has done the quarter mile in mid-high 10's at nearly 130mph.

The acceleration difference is so massive between these two cars that in any kind of race it would seem as if the i8 was literally standing still.
That quote had me thinking I've been driving the car in the wrong mode the whole time.
My 991.2 Turbo S gets to 60 in 2.5 sec , 100 mph in 5.9 sec and 150 mph in 14.x seconds and does the 1/4 in 10.44@131mph ........ yeah they are absolutely identical LMAO.
The new turbo s is such a monster, where'd you run those times?
Did it on an old airstrip, so non prepped surface . Amazing how consistent it is .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #24
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

That is amazing because in my experience old and even newer airstrips can be in pretty poor shape. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a 10.3 quarter mile at a good drag strip like PBIR in January or February.

Think about a car, as daily driver capable as the turbo s, running consistently under 6 seconds to 100 mph. Incredible time in history to be into cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
That is amazing because in my experience old and even newer airstrips can be in pretty poor shape. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a 10.3 quarter mile at a good drag strip like PBIR in January or February.

Think about a car, as daily driver capable as the turbo s, running consistently under 6 seconds to 100 mph. Incredible time in history to be into cars.
I don't think it will ET any faster it is already doing a 1.58 60ft . The LC is just that good .
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it will ET any faster it is already doing a 1.58 60ft . The LC is just that good .
I consider the 918 a triumph. But imagine if they would have mated the 300 electric hp to a 4.2 liter version of the turbo s engine that kicked out 700 hp or thereabouts. Wouldn't have had the sound but the performance would have been beyond anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #27
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
Rode in my friends I8, sorry but not impressed by anything. Guess I am old school. for that kind of money 911 GT3 without a doubt!
Have you tried to daily-drive a GT3? Pain in the rear - literally. Not exactly comparable to your X5, or the i8 for that matter.

People always look for performance numbers and then claim there's something faster out there for similar money. Sure there is. But I don't think any of the i8 owners here got that car because they thought it was the best deal in terms of speed for money. Nor was the car designed to optimize that particular balance.
Appreciate 2
YWGT3362.50
      10-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
Have you tried to daily-drive a GT3? Pain in the rear - literally. Not exactly comparable to your X5, or the i8 for that matter.

People always look for performance numbers and then claim there's something faster out there for similar money. Sure there is.
Nail on head

For example, my Lotus is faster than pretty much anything on the road (excepting hyper cars), but I would never dream of using it as a daily driver. It is hot, noisy and uncomfortable.

The i8 has an awesome balance of capabilities
Appreciate 2
Aye-eight508.50
YWGT3362.50
      10-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #29
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:

People always look for performance numbers and then claim there's something faster out there for similar money. Sure there is. But I don't think any of the i8 owners here got that car because they thought it was the best deal in terms of speed for money. Nor was the car designed to optimize that particular balance.
Precisely, the i8 is more of a GT which offers a super car stance and sport performance that more than exceeds the limits for what the public roads can offer. Furthermore, it provides an amalgam as well individual drive options enabling one to adjust to the outside driving environment (Sports mode on the open road, comfort mode in moving traffic and electric mode when in the city).

When it comes to the track, the 911 Turbo was the performance car of my choice. As a daily though, its suspension proved less than desirable and its engine was extremely underutilized for Bay Area roads and its unrelenting traffic congestions.

Last edited by YWGT3; 10-28-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #30
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
That's the thing. Yes, you can find two cars - a quick one and a frugal one - for the price of an i8. Then what? You pick one of them in the morning and are stuck with it the rest of the day. And if it's the eco box, you look like a dork and are forced to mingle with the semis in the right lane. Therefore, you will never drive it.

The i8 lets you switch from steak to fish and back at any time, as often as you wish. No car - NO car - can offer this today. Not in the sporty segment, anyway. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at their best.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #31
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's the thing. Yes, you can find two cars - a quick one and a frugal one - for the price of an i8. Then what? You pick one of them in the morning and are stuck with it the rest of the day. And if it's the eco box, you look like a dork and are forced to mingle with the semis in the right lane. Therefore, you will never drive it.

The i8 lets you switch from steak to fish and back at any time, as often as you wish. No car - NO car - can offer this today. Not in the sporty segment, anyway. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at their best.
So well put!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #32
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

That's the purpose of the 911 Turbo as well, except it's a DD that can actually beat supercars . If I'm paying 150k + the performance side has to deliver as well . The I8 just doesn't even come close there and the 991.2 Turbo can be just as comfortable has a much better sound system and apple car play . If you like the look of the I8 and the idea of a hybrid great , but don't say it leads the segment lol. The performance isn't even in the same ballpark. The Turbo is LITERALLY twice as fast 0-150 mph and the handling difference is massive . It gets 30 mpg on the highway too so it's not like a gas guzzling V10 either.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #33
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's the purpose of the 911 Turbo as well, except it's a DD that can actually beat supercars . If I'm paying 150k + the performance side has to deliver as well . The I8 just doesn't even come close there and the 991.2 Turbo can be just as comfortable has a much better sound system and apple car play . If you like the look of the I8 and the idea of a hybrid great , but don't say it leads the segment lol. The performance isn't even in the same ballpark. The Turbo is LITERALLY twice as fast 0-150 mph and the handling difference is massive . It gets 30 mpg on the highway too so it's not like a gas guzzling V10 either.
I'll agree with you except the i8 looks way cooler than the turbo S. That matters more to some than 0-60 times.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2016, 11:09 PM   #34
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I'll agree with you except the i8 looks way cooler than the turbo S. That matters more to some than 0-60 times.
Seems difficult to get that point across. I mean great, your 911 Turbo is twice as fast from 0-150. I do 0-150 all the time.

Seriously, the performance is still quite exhilarating. 50-100 pulls are still fun in canyon driving. On top of that, it looks sick (in my opinion, and apparently lots of others that stop to comment on it)...there's really nothing else like it. The interior is top notch. I love the mixture of high tech and minimalism, topped off with the refined BMW finish.

It's not just about pure performance, it's the overall package and experience. And if you're paying $150k+, you didn't shop around.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      10-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #35
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Everything has compromises.

Yes, the i8 could be faster. But it is plenty quick enough for road use.

As the 911 is being mentioned, that also has its disadvantages. There are much faster cars for less money for one thing. Secondly, it looks pretty ordinary - relatively. Finally, they really are very common around here (South East England and London) and no one notices them.

I accept the latter point could of course be a selling point for some buyers. I doubt this is applicable to any i8 buyers though
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #36
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had two model-types in short skirts coming out of it at a valet the other day and it was quite something. The girls started taking pictures of themselves in an out of the car with the passenger door open while I just stood with a smile. I heard a lady tell her husband to put his tongue back in his mouth.

That my friends is what the i8 is best at.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #37
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Red face

Quote:
I had two model-types in short skirts coming out of it at a valet the other day and it was quite something.

I've never had a model come in mine

Is that a dealer option?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #38
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Quote:
I had two model-types in short skirts coming out of it at a valet the other day and it was quite something.

I've never had a model come in mine

Is that a dealer option?
Well ya gotta take the good with the bad. Let one of em drive it after the party.
Attached Images

a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #39
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Well ya gotta take the good with the bad. Let one of em drive it after the party.
NOOOO
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #40
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Quote:
NOOOO
Was worth it.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #41
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Quote:
NOOOO
Was worth it.
Yea...I'm aware of short skirts getting out of the car haha.

Maybe time for a wrap
      10-31-2016, 05:11 AM   #42
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not sure if you appreciate that many of the forum members have come to the i8 from Porsches. A lot of them still have one, plus the occasional Ferrari or Lamborghini. People here tend to know what they're talking about, too. We do love our
Porsches, they're awesome cars.

But you're mixing apples and oranges. You may get 30 mpg if you cruise along at 65 mph. But if you want the speeds you're dreaming about, that figure will be 10 or less.

Especially in the US, you will be hard-pressed to access that potential. So, in essence, what you're driving around with a higer-powered car is the POSSIBILITY of going faster. Bragging rights on paper. Little more than that.

Same in city traffic, where my mpg goes through the roof because I don't need gas at all. The only other sports car that can do this is the 918. Very different class of car. So, there is no "segment" to lead. That was my point. The i8 is unique in what it does.

You're fully entitled to not liking it. Just don't judge the car solely based on performance stats, because then you're not getting it.

Last edited by Aye-eight; 10-31-2016 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      10-31-2016, 03:43 PM   #43
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure if you appreciate that many of the forum members have come to the i8 from Porsches. A lot of them still have one, plus the occasional Ferrari or Lamborghini. People here tend to know what they're talking about, too. We do love our
Porsches, they're awesome cars.

But you're mixing apples and oranges. You may get 30 mpg if you cruise along at 65 mph. But if you want the speeds you're dreaming about, that figure will be 10 or less.

Especially in the US, you will be hard-pressed to access that potential. So, in essence, what you're driving around with a higer-powered car is the POSSIBILITY of going faster. Bragging rights on paper. Little more than that.

Same in city traffic, where my mpg goes through the roof because I don't need gas at all. The only other sports car that can do this is the 918. Very different class of car. So, there is no "segment" to lead. That was my point. The i8 is unique in what it does.

You're fully entitled to not liking it. Just don't judge the car solely based on performance stats, because then you're not getting it.
I own the .2 Turbo S and experience it everyday, and am not dreaming about anything. I wasn't impressed by the handling nor the power of the I8 when I drove it . My opinion, for similar money I'm going to take the car that handles and performs better every time . Your money your call . What got my attention was the comment in the C&D article saying the I 8 offered the same acceleration as the Turbo . The turbo is literally twice as fast . It's perfectly fine to choose the I8 , but performance is not the reason, that's all . The I8 doesn't get 70 mpg flogging it either I might add .
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #44
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Good discussion. I admit my statement on the I8 was a bit harsh. It may be perfect for some. I realize a GT3 daily driver would get old. I am more old school in what I want in a sports car/GT. I have had every generation of M3, and was set to get the M4 or M2. I ended up getting the Shelby GT 350, not as refined as BMW, but more fun than any car I have driven! And for 58K!

Driving the i8 was just not what I want in a sports car. To be honest I like the NSX better. But I would buy neither if I was going to shell out that kind of money.

And the Shelby gets more stares and comments than my friends i8, plus the sound with exhaust in sport is sick! Good news is there is a car for everyone these days.
Appreciate 0