BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R8

I8 delivery-not

So I went to pick up my new I8 from the dealer and we sign the papers and go through the car.

Finally time to leave and I start driving and the suspension feels sort of funny and the road noise was really loud. Much louder then I remembered from the test drive. I think maybe tires are over inflated or maybe I am not remembering correctly.

So I get in the highway which was just replaced so super smooth and every time I go over a bump or dip I hear a loud noise coming from the right rear of the car. Seems strange, so i finally pull off the highway onto a local road and now it's like a loud banging and the suspension is floaty.

Pull over and check the trunk and rear hatch , maybe it's loose or something.

I call the dealer and ask him if they road tested the car and he says yes. I then tell him something is wrong with this car as it's making loud noises. I drive it back to the dealer and at this point it's even louder like the rear end is going to fall off the car. Pull into service as they had a tech waiting.

He said let's take it for a drive. I tell him he can take it by himself in the parking lot no need for test drive because it's so loud.

He comes back and tells me the right rear strut blew and must have been defective.

I'm liked wtf. It's brand new I guess it's not the dealers fault, and he gave me a loaner and they are replacing the strut and will drive the car back to my house when fixed in a couple of days, as they said the part is available in US.

Not a great way to start on a new car. Just crossing my fingers it's not sign of future things to happen . Hopefully it was just a one time defective strut.

Never had anything like this happen on a new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxdr1965
So I went to pick up my new I8 from the dealer and we sign the papers and go through the car.

Finally time to leave and I start driving and the suspension feels sort of funny and the road noise was really loud. Much louder then I remembered from the test drive. I think maybe tires are over inflated or maybe I am not remembering correctly.

So I get in the highway which was just replaced so super smooth and every time I go over a bump or dip I hear a loud noise coming from the right rear of the car. Seems strange, so i finally pull off the highway onto a local road and now it's like a loud banging and the suspension is floaty.

Pull over and check the trunk and rear hatch , maybe it's loose or something.

I call the dealer and ask him if they road tested the car and he says yes. I then tell him something is wrong with this car as it's making loud noises. I drive it back to the dealer and at this point it's even louder like the rear end is going to fall off the car. Pull into service as they had a tech waiting.

He said let's take it for a drive. I tell him he can take it by himself in the parking lot no need for test drive because it's so loud.

He comes back and tells me the right rear strut blew and must have been defective.

I'm liked wtf. It's brand new I guess it's not the dealers fault, and he gave me a loaner and they are replacing the strut and will drive the car back to my house when fixed in a couple of days, as they said the part is available in US.

Not a great way to start on a new car. Just crossing my fingers it's not sign of future things to happen . Hopefully it was just a one time defective strut.

Never had anything like this happen on a new car.
Mines been faultless so far, that totally sucks. I'd def let BMW know. If your dealer is good they'll cover your first month or something
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
13pauls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i8

you should not accept that car...they should provide you with a replacement..btw..my i8 has been impeccable in 1.5 yrs of ownership..
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #4
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Its a strut I don't think they will replace the whole car. I think it was just a defective part that blew out. If it has any other issues then I will see. like I said hopefully its a one time issue. You would have to lemon law the car. I guess this crap happens every one in a while. Other then that car felt fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 03:04 AM   #5
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have not heard of anything similar to this , that's just unacceptable no matter what they should have spot it on if they test drove the car .
Hopefully, things work well from now on .
      10-26-2016, 01:31 AM   #6
Emon Crew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' crystal white i8

It sounds like they didn't road test it before delivery. I fail to see how they could have performed a road test and not noticed or heard the sound. Sorry you had to go through this, we all have our hiccups from time to time with new cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
363ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

That is a shame that you had to deal with this especially on your first day with the car. Did you get it back yet? Hopefully you will have nothing but smooth cruising going forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, they flat bedded the car to my house today. It was raining and late, but everything seems fine. They did give me some luggage for the car, a toy remote control car and phone holder iPad holder etc.

Now just waiting for my check for the trade in for my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Taxdr1965
Private First Class
Rep

Finally got it. Quick pic my daughter took
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-30-2016, 03:10 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex