BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

BMW gives zero shit about customers

2 weeks ago I made a post that my 2016 bmw i8 had to go to servicing for a full week because of 3 sensors going off (drivetrain malfunction, battery charge disabled, regenerative braking disabled) which made it dangerous to drive. I had a loaner 3 series for 1 full week and BMW just called me saying they refuse to give me any downtime compensation.

Not only did I waste 2 work days, I also spent gas and tolls and an hour drive each way to the BMW service department to give the car and get it back. This is all at 5k miles on a car with a sticker price of 149k.

This is my 3rd BMW in the last 5 years and my last due to the poor customer service they have given me. The least the could have done was shave off from my monthly payment considering I did not have the car for a full week not to mention the car wouldnt go past 12 mph even though I was flooring it all because the computer system malfunctioned.

Sorry, just wanted to vent.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Venting understood. (I've been known to)

I know this is all probably obvious... but I'm going to type it anyway...

Tip for the Future:
Call "BMW Roadside Assistance" and have them tow the car to the dealership for service. Then have them return it the same way. (I'm assuming you have other cars that you can drive)

Understand that BMW (Corporate) and the BMW Dealerships are completely different companies.

The companies are in the business of making money. You are right that they don't care about You (or me). They do care about making money.

"downtime compensation"? Yeah, I've owned about 20 BMWs. I've never been given anything like that. Though, they gave you a loaner car, which is some small compensation.

Lastly, venting here won't get you anything (except the satisfaction of attempting to damage BMW's reputation and hurt them). Write a letter. Send an email. Explain yourself and what your expectations were. What would make you happy? (They can't read your mind) Go find the name of the owner and/or General Manager of the Dealership. Go find a name of a BMW NA executive. Write them. They might surprise you. Or... they might not.

Then, come to terms with the fact that these cars can and will break. They are new technology. There are only a few of them, and will have *more* problems then the mass produced 3-series.

ok... I'm gonna go load up my i8 with 4 foster kittens and take them in for a checkup at the vet.

I hope you find happiness in the car.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Downtime compensation? Really man? I mean one can dream but... No, BMW will not "shave off of your monthly payment" for something like this, same way they won't reimburse you a percentage had you bought the car cash. Lease, finance, or own, companies don't usually put money back in your pocket if your vehicle is in for repair. Best they will do is put you in a loaner and have you on your way, and I really don't expect them to do more than that. I'm almost certain there's language in your lease or purchase agreement that excerpts them from having to do such a thing. The only time I ever fought for something like that was when my second M6 got hit 27 days after I purchased it and BMW had to keep it in their shop for almost 12 weeks cause a few parts were back ordered. They rented a 5 series for me from Sixt in that occasion for the last 8 weeks of that ordeal (why they didn't pull one from their loaner fleet? I don't know.)

P.S. My i8 was in the shop 5 days after I took delivery for a CEL caused by what they called "a charging fault". It stayed there for 72 hours getting reprogrammed, they put me in a nice X5 for those 3 days and when I went to pick up the i8 all I got for my trouble was a handshake. That's just the way it goes, we buy cars, cars break down, they fix it, we drive off until they break down again. Rinse and repeat.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      10-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Downtime compensation? Really man? I mean one can dream but... No, BMW will not "shave off of your monthly payment" for something like this, same way they won't reimburse you a percentage had you bought the car cash. Lease, finance, or own, companies don't usually put money back in your pocket if your vehicle is in for repair. Best they will do is put you in a loaner and have you on your way, and I really don't expect them to do more than that. I'm almost certain there's language in your lease or purchase agreement that excerpts them from having to do such a thing. The only time I ever fought for something like that was when my second M6 got hit 27 days after I purchased it and BMW had to keep it in their shop for almost 12 weeks cause a few parts were back ordered. They rented a 5 series for me from Sixt in that occasion for the last 8 weeks of that ordeal (why they didn't pull one from their loaner fleet? I don't know.)

P.S. My i8 was in the shop 5 days after I took delivery for a CEL caused by what they called "a charging fault". It stayed there for 72 hours getting reprogrammed, they put me in a nice X5 for those 3 days and when I went to pick up the i8 all I got for my trouble was a handshake. That's just the way it goes, we buy cars, cars break down, they fix it, we drive off until they break down again. Rinse and repeat.
+ 1 my GTs AMG broke down a month after taking delivery and Mercedes Benz did the same thing (got a base c class for 2 weeks) so dont blame BMW... its all the same everywhere
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

My dealer gives 7 series to i8 customers if the car is in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
My dealer gives 7 series to i8 customers if the car is in the shop.
I don't even think my dealer has 7 series loaners. I took the liberty (cough cough) to write a letter to Leo Willich about my disappointment of the i8 market introduction leading to me being frustrated with some options missing on MY 14, plus my anger about flooding the market with these cars....my fault, should have waited. I got an email back at least but I cannot say that the letter made me feel better.....actually the opposite.

The best avenue is the GM of the dealership it seems, my dealership has been top notch and is the reason why I keep buying cars there. I would love a Levante SUV next (we'll have yet to drive it?) but am worried about being a nobody at the Ferrari and Maserati dealership with absolutely no goodwill and relationship.

On a side note, I once got a check for my new 330i ZCP downtime, but it was for several weeks and I had paid cash.

So in conclusion, enjoy the car once you have it back and maybe ask the dealer if he had some goodies he wants to offer to you, whatever it may be!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
twm6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Protonic Blue I8

the most i'll get for my i8 as a loaner is x5 or x6
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
Jo-Sta07
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 458, BMW i8, Acura NSX

I've yet to have my car in the shop but the GM of the dealership told me that only 7 series go to i8 owners bc anything less wouldn't cut it for our level or something to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I don't even think my dealer has 7 series loaners. I took the liberty (cough cough) to write a letter to Leo Willich about my disappointment of the i8 market introduction leading to me being frustrated with some options missing on MY 14, plus my anger about flooding the market with these cars....my fault, should have waited. I got an email back at least but I cannot say that the letter made me feel better.....actually the opposite.
I assume you mean Ludwig Willisch.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
Quote:
Yes sir, correcto, whatever his name is.....former M guy and after his lackluster reply, which obviously was written by some entry level or intern on his extended staff anyways, I couldn't care less about his name or him ?so that's how it is and how I see it, you only have one chance to make a first impression after all.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      10-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Sta07 View Post
I've yet to have my car in the shop but the GM of the dealership told me that only 7 series go to i8 owners bc anything less wouldn't cut it for our level or something to that effect.
Your dealership is good at ass kissing. My dealership will give me a 7 series if I ask prior to dropping the car off to make sure one is available. Otherwise, it's whatever's there, most of the time 5ers.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes sir, correcto, whatever his name is.....former M guy and after his lackluster reply, which obviously was written by some entry level or intern on his extended staff anyways, I couldn't care less about his name or him ?so that's how it is and how I see it, you only have one chance to make a first impression after all.
What his response if you don't mind? Did he share anything interesting at all or did he just brush your concerns off?
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What his response if you don't mind? Did he share anything interesting at all or did he just brush your concerns off?
Brushed them off?,albeit politely, and highlighted how well attended and amazing the Leipzig owners PI event was. I live in the Midwest, USA, so what do I care?!

It was just a bit eye opening, especially since I identified myself as an enthusiast with multiple M and the i8. I expected a bit more engagement and a thoughtful response. It has changed my perception of the organization and willingness to look at other brands too.

Whatever......lesson learned.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
jcpca356
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8

downtime compensation? who the fuck gives you downtime compensation? jesus christ, no wonder bmw drivers get a bad rep
      10-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #15
jnkirk1974
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Garage List
I am typically given an X1 or a 3 series. So, everybody seems to get about the same treatment. I personally take no offense to it. There is only so much they can do.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      11-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #16
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Its funny I just took my i8 in for a check engine light. It required 2 days (they did a firmware update). When I got a loaner I asked specifically for a small 3 series (I hate bigger cars). The loaner manager looked at me funny and said "most BMW owners get upset if you can't give them a car as nice as theirs."

I laughed and asked him if had an i8 loaner.

I guess I don't understand the idea of a loaner not being "good enough" or compensation for time (frustration understood not ignoring that). And if I want a nicer car and I have an i8 I can probably scrounge up another car that I like to drive. I can't see anyone being a single i8 car owner, but then again maybe I am wrong.
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50