BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Dash Cam Install

Here's how I installed my dash cam. I used the cigarette lighter port under the center of the dash to power the camera. The camera itself just sticks on the windshield using double sided tape. I made sure to leave a little bit of a gap to make sure I could slide my camera off its mount. The wire tucks in the top of the windshield easily. Just need to press with fingers. I chose to put it on the drivers side so the buttons are easily accessible. The windshield is large enough so even though its on the drivers side its still very much out of the way. The wiper blades also wipe higher on the driver side so the windshield is cleaner there. I also had to move it away from the review mirror assembly because it was blocking the view of the camera.

When you get to either side I removed the pillar cover. to do that you first use a small screw driver to remove the ABS plastic thing. Underneath that is a torx t-30 screw that needs to be removed. Once the screw is removed you should pull the rubber molding away from the door frame. Just grab it and pull away with your hands and it should slowly start coming off. Just get enough of it off so you can work with that area. The whole thing does not need to be removed.

Once the molding is out of the way you can start to pry the pillar cover off staring from the top. There are these blue fasteners that are used to keep it on the carbon fiber. It takes a little bit of force, but they will snap off. I reached my hand down the cover to put less stress on it. Be careful not to pull so hard that you angle the pillar cover to far away from the pillar. there are vertical tabs at the bottom of pillar cover that could possibly break if you twist them too much. Once both fasteners are snapped off the pillar can be removed from the dash by pulling up and towards you at the same time. Now you can run the wire behind the pillar easily and avoid the airbag stuff.

Next, remove the panel on the side of the air vent. I just used my finger nails and pryed it away. I tucked most of my excess wire in here and ran the rest of it down and around the bottom of the dash to the cigarette lighter. I didn't thread it through the hole here, but continued to run it on the outside and tucked the wire in the panel gap just above the fuel button.

From that opening I ran the wire down. There is a panel at the bottom of the dash that can just be pulled open. There are two metal clips that hold it on. I tucked the wire along that behind the metal clips and from there to the cigarette lighter. This panel doesn't need to be completely removed, Just the front to clips so you can tuck the wire up there. Also, make sure you don't block the OBD port thats around there.

Just put everything back together and you're done. When you put the pillar cover back on be careful to line up the blue fasteners with the holes. It's a little bit of a pain, but if you slide the bottom of the pillar cover back onto the dash correctly you should be able to gently feel your way back into the holes. I just tried to smash it on at first and broke a clip.

Last edited by muddtt; 10-11-2016 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
2sak2furious
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 coupe

Thanks for the tip, is the USB enough to power the dash cam? Ive only used cig lighter adaptor.
2015 BMW X5M gone
2013 Porsche Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
muddtt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i (E88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sak2furious View Post
Thanks for the tip, is the USB enough to power the dash cam? Ive only used cig lighter adaptor.
You can purchase different cigarette lighter adapters with different amperages. The one I'm using outputs 2.4a. So it is plenty for the camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Thanks for the great information. I picked an i3 as a commuter for my 60 miles daily drive. Figure I should install one of these. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

I just installed a dash cam last week but hard wired it into the fuse box. Instead of pulling the wire to the driver side, you can snake the wires underneath the glovebox by the fuse box. You also don't need to remove the A pillar to be able to tuck the wires out of sight. Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
BoomerE30
Private
Rep
Drives: e36 325

Do you think its possible to run it through the right/passenger side of the dash?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
D Unit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerE30 View Post
Do you think its possible to run it through the right/passenger side of the dash?
I ran mine down the right/passenger A pillar without removing the cover... then snaked it to the fuse box for hardwire.

If anyone knows what fuse to tap for a constant 12v, please let me know.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
I ran mine down the right/passenger A pillar without removing the cover... then snaked it to the fuse box for hardwire.

If anyone knows what fuse to tap for a constant 12v, please let me know.
here:
http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1852

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 1