Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

At 12,000 miles on the I8 do I change tires?

I have the car in for servicing and my service adviser said I need to change for back tires. However the car is only at 12,000 miles so I am not sure if BMW just wants to make some money off me. Here is what the service adviser wrote in the email. Any advice is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

$904-
replace 2 rear tires (worn low on tread depth –
left rear at 3/32,right rear at 2/32”

NOTE – BMW recommends to replace when worn down to 3/32” or less.
Both front tires between 4/32-5/32” tread depth (in the yellow…getting low, but no need to replace yet)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
I have the car in for servicing and my service adviser said I need to change for back tires. However the car is only at 12,000 miles so I am not sure if BMW just wants to make some money off me. Here is what the service adviser wrote in the email. Any advice is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

$904-
replace 2 rear tires (worn low on tread depth –
left rear at 3/32,right rear at 2/32”

NOTE – BMW recommends to replace when worn down to 3/32” or less.
Both front tires between 4/32-5/32” tread depth (in the yellow…getting low, but no need to replace yet)
Follow the recommendations. Low thread depth can become an issue very quickly, e.g. when you run into heavy rain or standing water on the road. If you have an accident with tires that are worn beyond OEM recommendations - at least here in Europe - partial blame will be assigned to you and the insurance will deny cover.

If you don't trust your dealer, measure the thread yourself or check the "wear indicator ridges" inside the tire profile.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Let me share with you a lesson learned many years ago. Not wanting to make two trips to the installer, I decided to hold out on changing the rears (both were around 3/32 tread depth)until the front set needed to be replaced. Got a call from my wife who wasn't hurt (thank goodness) but ended up totaling the vehicle which lost control over a slick patch. Was informed by the officer at the scene that, while the road surface proved to be the main culprit, the low tread depth on the rear set of tires precluded any chances of recovering out from the spin. Thereafter, needless to say, I've become more vigilant in replacing tires and brake pads even before they reach their wear limits.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Wholeheartedly agree with Aye-eight's comments. Along those lines, I wonder if one can be partially blamed in an accident if one's tires were shown to be improperly maintained. Perhaps MalibuBimmer can shed some light on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGT3 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with Aye-eight's comments. Along those lines, I wonder if one can be partially blamed in an accident if one's tires were shown to be improperly maintained. Perhaps MalibuBimmer can shed some light on this matter.
In Germany you will get in trouble for that, the insurance can actually pay out less due to inappropriate or inadequate tires. Same if you drive with summer tires in the winter, police will ticket you and insurance can deny an accident claim.

To the OP, I would replace all 4 and be done with it......
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I suggest saving $ by ordering tires from TireRack.
Appreciate 0