BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 2016

USB hub

Hey all. Has anyone found a USB hub that works with the port in the arm rest? I tried 2 4-port hubs so far (data only hubs, with no external power), and neither of them work. When I plug in a USB stick and an iPhone, the iDrive menu only recognizes whichever was plugged in first. The iPhone will charge, but will not be a recognized and selectable option in the External Devices menu--except if it was plugged in first. In that case, the USB stick won't be recognized.

Has anyone found a hub that works? Would love to know!

/ gx
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

(possibly obvious) work-arounds:

1) Move your music from the USB stick onto the built-in Hard Drive. Yeah, you only have 20G of space, but that's a fair bit of toons.

or

2) Connect the iPhone via Bluetooth.

I'm not sure why you want them both plugged into USB, but I doubt you'll find any way for it to recognize USB two devices at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louv View Post
(possibly obvious) work-arounds:

1) Move your music from the USB stick onto the built-in Hard Drive. Yeah, you only have 20G of space, but that's a fair bit of toons.

or

2) Connect the iPhone via Bluetooth.

I'm not sure why you want them both plugged into USB, but I doubt you'll find any way for it to recognize USB two devices at the same time.
The reason is: USB stick stores movies. The iPhone connected via USB allows control/search of Spotify via iDrive, rather than the phone. If you connect via BT, you can only skip/go back in tracks. You don't get the full Spotify integration since Spotify is one of the BMW supported apps. And the iPhone sits permanently in the storage compartment since it's a 2ndary spare phone used currently only for that purpose.

/ gx
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:19 AM   #4
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Hey, this is my solution . I will caveat you that 12V socket is useless, if you plug in something it will not work and you may not close the lid properly because of the whole storage area with the 12V socket is too swallow at all
I use USB Hub , it can recognize musics in front but I have said it before why only 1 slot for USB and no SD , Micro Card slot is just awkward
Attached Images

03-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Louv
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mephisto Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxsolace View Post
The reason is: USB stick stores movies. The iPhone connected via USB allows control/search of Spotify via iDrive, rather than the phone. If you connect via BT, you can only skip/go back in tracks. You don't get the full Spotify integration since Spotify is one of the BMW supported apps. And the iPhone sits permanently in the storage compartment since it's a 2ndary spare phone used currently only for that purpose.

/ gx
OK, makes sense. (...and I learned something about Spotify integration)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Cradle for the phone? Leaves the USB port for the memory stick. No cable mess
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aye-eight View Post
I've read in a few places that the cradles are not compatible with recent iOS versions.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Quote:
I've read in a few places that the cradles are not compatible with recent iOS versions.
My cradle (universal lightening type) works fine with a 7+ on 10.2.1.

Car has recently been to the dealer and has the latest car software updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not true as far as I can tell. With my iPhone 7, I'm using the same cradle that I had for the iPhone 6 before. Works just fine. No difference. Maybe apart from the fact that BMW has a new version of its Connect app out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just as I suspected. Tried both the specific and universal cradles today at the dealer. They charge the phone and pass through audio, but are not compatible with apps. None of the BMW apps are recognized, such as Spotify. You can hear the music but you cannot use iDrive's Spotify integration to control, search, etc. Same with the other apps.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just as I suspected. Tried both the specific and universal cradles today at the dealer. They charge the phone and pass through audio, but are not compatible with apps. None of the BMW apps are recognized, such as Spotify. You can hear the music but you cannot use iDrive's Spotify integration to control, search, etc. Same with the other apps.
Sorry, that's just not correct. I use Spotify, controlled by iDrive every day, while my phone sits neatly tucked away in the cradle. It works. What you need to do is launch the BMW Connected app first on your phone. Then selected ConnectedDrive in the iDrive menu, got to Additonal Apps, and - voilá - you can access Spotify, Napster, Audible, and a bunch more.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
What's the part number for the cradle? Once again, my dealer said we couldn't get it.
      03-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #13
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, that's just not correct. I use Spotify, controlled by iDrive every day, while my phone sits neatly tucked away in the cradle. It works. What you need to do is launch the BMW Connected app first on your phone. Then selected ConnectedDrive in the iDrive menu, got to Additonal Apps, and - voilá - you can access Spotify, Napster, Audible, and a bunch more.
That does not work for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #14
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
What's the part number for the cradle? Once again, my dealer said we couldn't get it.
This should help:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_2729

You need to pick the right cradle depending upon which phone and which options your car has.

This site will show all options on your car from your VIN:

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/bmw/vin_check

For the 7 plus I needed the universal cradle.

There are similar cradles for Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:37 AM   #15
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does this work for the extended subscription based Apple Music that lets you play anything in Apple's library?

I will have a try myself on the way to work this morning.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:17 AM   #16
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB_UK View Post
Does this work for the extended subscription based Apple Music that lets you play anything in Apple's library?

I have no idea. I don't use that service. But I imagine it would work. You can control Apple Music through iDrive, after all. So, as long as your iPhone has an internet connection, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to access cloud-based files in the same app.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea. I don't use that service. But I imagine it would work. You can control Apple Music through iDrive, after all. So, as long as your iPhone has an internet connection, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to access cloud-based files in the same app.
I installed the Amazon Music app (iDrive and on phone) and that gave access to everything on the phone including all downloaded and iCloud based Apple Music.

As you explained the BMW Connected app needs to be running or nothing shows up in iDrive.
Appreciate 1
Aye-eight508.50
      03-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: So there are a bunch of different snap-in adaptors.
I have a spare iPhone SE (same design as the 5), and there are 4 snap-in adaptors with Lightning. Only one of them works—when I say it doesn't work, I mean you can't see apps, you can only hear audio.

The universal snap-in doesn't work. The snap-in with the word "Music" written on it on the silver area by the Home button doesn't work. The snap-in with the word "Media" doesn't work either. I had to get the snap-in that was blank silver.

BMW dealership admits the idea is good, but the execution on these accessories was bad.

But at least, now it works!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #19
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a spare iPhone SE (same design as the 5), and there are 4 snap-in adaptors with Lightning. Only one of them works—when I say it doesn't work, I mean you can't see apps, you can only hear audio.

The universal snap-in doesn't work. The snap-in with the word "Music" written on it on the silver area by the Home button doesn't work. The snap-in with the word "Media" doesn't work either. I had to get the snap-in that was blank silver.

BMW dealership admits the idea is good, but the execution on these accessories was bad.

Universal Snap in works a treat for me on my 7+.

Perhaps the issues isn't the Snap in but the version of software on your i8. Mine was updated in Feb this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #20
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Universal Lightening Snap in works a treat for me on my 7+.

Perhaps the issue isn't the Snap in but the version of software on your i8. Mine was updated in Feb this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #21
gxsolace
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Perhaps the issues isn't the Snap in but the version of software on your i8. Mine was updated in Feb this year.
Mine was updated a month ago as well.

BTW, you posted that 3 times. lol.

Last edited by gxsolace; 03-29-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #22
SteveB_UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0