03-24-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
MrRob
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

E Drive Issue

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has experienced similar issues to what I know have:

Car was at the dealer last week for fuel tank pressure sensor re-calibration which has fixed the issue with fuel flap not opening.

Since getting the car back I have an issue that I have never seen before. When driving in E-drive mode and accelerating (not foot to the floor) I sometimes get a message that there is insufficient power and the ICE starts up. This is first thing after leaving home but car is pre-conditioned.

I even had an issue this morning where I accelerated up to 70mph, slowed to 50mph for a corner and then when I tried to accelerate out of the corner nothing happened, I just maintained 50mph.

I have never had any such issues and in pure E drive have always been able to achieve 76mph regardless of whether the car was hot/cold or whether battery was full or nearly empty.

Anyone else experienced similar before I go back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Couple of things to check:

Check what your eco-pro "tipping point" has been set to (maybe changed as part of a software upgrade?). Not sure if that would cause the behaviour you're seeing but would affect when the gas engine fires up.

If you've been ragging it around, wonder if the battery/wires are a bit warm and the computer insists on using fossil fuels to help you keep moving?

I've had mine refuse to go into e-drive a few times, but I think it's usually because the gas engine is hot and needs to keep spinning to circulate coolant. Or on other occasions going up a really steep hill in e-drive, it's fired up the gas engine and said insufficient power (I live in the Penines)
      03-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRob View Post
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has experienced similar issues to what I know have:

Car was at the dealer last week for fuel tank pressure sensor re-calibration which has fixed the issue with fuel flap not opening.

Since getting the car back I have an issue that I have never seen before. When driving in E-drive mode and accelerating (not foot to the floor) I sometimes get a message that there is insufficient power and the ICE starts up. This is first thing after leaving home but car is pre-conditioned.

I even had an issue this morning where I accelerated up to 70mph, slowed to 50mph for a corner and then when I tried to accelerate out of the corner nothing happened, I just maintained 50mph.

I have never had any such issues and in pure E drive have always been able to achieve 76mph regardless of whether the car was hot/cold or whether battery was full or nearly empty.

Anyone else experienced similar before I go back to the dealer?
I just got my car back for the same repair. And I've experienced the insufficient power warning a lot on our freeways, especially going up grades at stepping on the accelerator. That was before bringing the car in. I haven't been on the freeway this week yet.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Mightymousemighty
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: i8(16) RangeR (15) TeslaX (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Couple of things to check:

Check what your eco-pro "tipping point" has been set to (maybe changed as part of a software upgrade?). Not sure if that would cause the behaviour you're seeing but would affect when the gas engine fires up.

If you've been ragging it around, wonder if the battery/wires are a bit warm and the computer insists on using fossil fuels to help you keep moving?

I've had mine refuse to go into e-drive a few times, but I think it's usually because the gas engine is hot and needs to keep spinning to circulate coolant. Or on other occasions going up a really steep hill in e-drive, it's fired up the gas engine and said insufficient power (I live in the Penines)
you are not a million miles away from me, I stay in the peaks when I'm in England. Same issue with hilly bits. I think I may have even seen you once Near Glossop if you have a crystal white i8
Appreciate 0