Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonic Red Beast View Post
Yeah I got my Red i8 coated with 4 layers of Ceramic Pro 9h when i first got it. Like the one in the video mines was all swirled up from the dealership. I'm convinced that they're partially retarded when it comes to detailing a brand new car at these dealerships, makes no sense.
The thing that annoyed me most with the paintwork is that I specifically requested them not to even wash the vehicle before I took delivery in the hope of avoiding the swirls. Unfortunately it seems the car was sat in another dealers showroom on display (I knew all along that the car was already built when I placed the order), so its not an isolated case of poor preparation!

Update on the electric motor issues. So the car has been at the dealers now since 10th December. I had a call from them yesterday to tell me that they are still waiting on parts from Germany to finish the repairs. The electric motor has been replaced, so not sure what else they are waiting for, but have been told i'm unlikely to get it back before the new year. To say I am frustrated and annoyed is an understatement. From taking initial delivery on 26th November, the car has now been with the dealer longer than with me (not even taking into consideration the week it was with the detailer!!).

Has anyone else come across problems with the electric motor in the past? I tried googling but didn't come up with anything.

I've driven the car a handful of times since taking delivery, it only has 460 miles on the clock and I feel like I've lost faith in it. The whole experience with the paintwork and the electric motor going has really taken the shine off what should have been such an enjoyable experience!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #24
comrie
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 silver

I would contact BMW via email and explain your not happy with the experience of buying there flagship model and one that costs over £100k......ask them what are they going to do or offer to help alleviate the current situation as £100k customers dont grow on trees...i had a few problems with my car and bmw were pretty accommodating.

cheers stv
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #25
SlipperyGary
Private
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

If I were you, I would go to the dealership and check on your car. Many years ago when I worked at a car dealership, if we damaged a car that was in for service, we would tell the customer that we were waiting for parts to arrive, when we were actually just taking time to repair the damage we did to the customer's car.

Obviously, most of the time we were actually waiting for parts, but occasionally that was not the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #26
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I'm not picky about paint, but wow, that is impressive work! I hope the e-motor repair is resolved soon. Your case should indeed be brought to BMW's attention.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #27
damian1M
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Protonic Red Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillick View Post
The thing that annoyed me most with the paintwork is that I specifically requested them not to even wash the vehicle before I took delivery in the hope of avoiding the swirls. Unfortunately it seems the car was sat in another dealers showroom on display (I knew all along that the car was already built when I placed the order), so its not an isolated case of poor preparation!

Update on the electric motor issues. So the car has been at the dealers now since 10th December. I had a call from them yesterday to tell me that they are still waiting on parts from Germany to finish the repairs. The electric motor has been replaced, so not sure what else they are waiting for, but have been told i'm unlikely to get it back before the new year. To say I am frustrated and annoyed is an understatement. From taking initial delivery on 26th November, the car has now been with the dealer longer than with me (not even taking into consideration the week it was with the detailer!!).

Has anyone else come across problems with the electric motor in the past? I tried googling but didn't come up with anything.

I've driven the car a handful of times since taking delivery, it only has 460 miles on the clock and I feel like I've lost faith in it. The whole experience with the paintwork and the electric motor going has really taken the shine off what should have been such an enjoyable experience!!
I'd consider rejecting it, write a letter to the Dealer Principal (and if financed, to BMWFS) stating your case, you have sufficient grounds to do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #28
skillick
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Incoming SMB F80 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quick update.

I finally collected the car from the dealer on Thursday evening last week.

They've replaced the electric motor completely, which I'm told involved removal of a large amount of the front end sub-frame etc. Replacement motor, sub-frame bolts and various other bits and pieces all had to come from Germany. Apparently in total they spent around 19 or so man hours working on the car.

I managed to get out in the car over the weekend and all seems to be well again, there is no loud whining from the motor for a start! I was slightly concerned about the impact of removing so much sub-frame etc, but they've assured me all is back together properly and it's had full wheel alignment etc. There certainly didn't seem to be any rattles/shakes/odd noises when I drove it at the weekend.

So as it currently stands, I think the car will be staying, but needless to say I shall be listening out for any more strange noises!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Massive replacement of whole systems is the trend; taking pieces apart and repairing the failed little bits seems to be becoming a lost art. In a case like this no doubt BMW is extremely interested in the failure analysis and want everything.
Appreciate 0