Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

01-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Ravon
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Ice and snow driving tips please ?

I'm going off to help a friend competing in the Historic Monte Carlo Rally in a couple of weeks time and wondered if any owners from a "snowy" region of the planet could offer any special advice ? My car is fitted with BMW's winter wheel/tyre pack .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravon View Post
I'm going off to help a friend competing in the Historic Monte Carlo Rally in a couple of weeks time and wondered if any owners from a "snowy" region of the planet could offer any special advice ? My car is fitted with BMW's winter wheel/tyre pack .
I have the BMW Winter/Package and put the car in Sports mode if going up a steep incline and than revert back to Comfort Mode for regular driving. The car has been flawless in any condition. They only concern is the obvious clearance issue as it is a sports car. You are going to have a lot of fun on the Rally. Post pictures.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravon View Post
Just remember that AWD will improve your forward and turn traction over 2WD, but makes no difference when it comes to braking. Especially crucial in the mountains, where you will enjoy the uphill traction but need to take it very easy downhill.

If you have no experience driving in snow, start out slowly and calibrate your butt-o-meter. Maybe do a few laps on an empty parking lot to get a feel for how the car drifts.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
D2nice
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 I8

Remember to press the traction control button. Most people think that it is counterintuitive but on the contrary it applies maximum traction for snow. Read the Manual. Once you press that button look at the screen and confirm that traction is at max for loose gravel and snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 05:26 AM   #5
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2nice View Post
Remember to press the traction control button. Most people think that it is counterintuitive but on the contrary it applies maximum traction for snow. Read the Manual. Once you press that button look at the screen and confirm that traction is at max for loose gravel and snow.
Winter tyres are always my biggest recommendation - huge difference, and you'll notice the braking effect is much safer.
Biggest problem is someone hitting you from behind!

If you turn off TC, does that mean the car automatically fires up the gas engine to ensure you're in 4wd? I should read the manual again!!
      01-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2nice View Post
The car is really good at regulating the wheels for AWD for snow in the normal modes, without hitting the traction button.

But, you are 100% right, this is what the manual says to do, and 99.9% of people never read the manual.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGR View Post
Winter tyres are always my biggest recommendation - huge difference, and you'll notice the braking effect is much safer.
Biggest problem is someone hitting you from behind!

If you turn off TC, does that mean the car automatically fires up the gas engine to ensure you're in 4wd? I should read the manual again!!
When driving in snow in normal mode, the ECU fires up the petrol engine when it detects significant slip. I do not know if it fires up the engine with DTC set to "traction" - I have driven in deep snow, but never in the DTC mode set to "traction".

For the manual, it says that TC set to "traction" for:

When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads.

When freeing vehicle from deep snow or driving off from loose gounds.

When driving with snow chains.

Aren't manuals great?

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #8
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I had a quick play at the weekend - no deep snow but enough that would have my old 745, 635, 535 stuck.

Basically, in e-drive (so only front-wheel drive), it went nowhere. Dropped into sport to get the gas engine on and it went fine but a bit of tyre slip (tyres have 15k on them).

Then, put it in comfort and put it into "Traction" mode version of DSC and the gas engine fired up when I gently pressed the throttle - it still switches the engine off when you're not trying to move. I think the main benefit of "Traction" mode is to allow more wheel slip to try and gain some forward movement on loose surfaces at the expense of cornering stability.
      01-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Ravon
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Thank you very much fellow i8'ers !
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have a big turning-incline on my driveway. I took the car out in "Comfort" mode and as everyone noted once the car detected slipping the gas engine fired up; but this was after the car had already started slipping (quite un-nerving on a steep incline with a turn) and eventually the car made it up the driveway. The next day I tried with the car in "Sports" mode and the car climbed up again with a lot less drama because it did not have to wait to detect the loss of traction to kick in the gas engine. My recommendation is if it is a situation you know will require all-wheel-drive switch it to "Sports" instead of letting the car slip and having the ECU kick in the gas engine. I am going to try the "Traction" trick tomorrow and see what happens.

Obviously going down-hill is all about the tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
I have a big turning-incline on my driveway. I took the car out in "Comfort" mode and as everyone noted once the car detected slipping the gas engine fired up; but this was after the car had already started slipping (quite un-nerving on a steep incline with a turn) and eventually the car made it up the driveway. The next day I tried with the car in "Sports" mode and the car climbed up again with a lot less drama because it did not have to wait to detect the loss of traction to kick in the gas engine. My recommendation is if it is a situation you know will require all-wheel-drive switch it to "Sports" instead of letting the car slip and having the ECU kick in the gas engine. I am going to try the "Traction" trick tomorrow and see what happens.

Obviously going down-hill is all about the tires.
The drawback of Sport mode is that you need to be a lot more gentle with your foot. So it depends on the situation, I guess. On flat ground, I'd probably go for Comfort first, because throttle control is a bit easier. If I fear an initial bit of slip might already kill me, I'd probably take my chances with Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
I am going to try the "Traction" trick tomorrow and see what happens.
Interested in hearing your test results
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Interested in hearing your test results
The weather warmed up in NJ so I have to wait for the driveway to get snowy/icy again.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #14
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

We had a ice storm and there was a sheet of ice on my driveway today, did not want to risk anything but sports mode because if the car slipped or got stuck it would slip into a brick wall! In sports mode the car did not slip just went up and out of the driveway as it there was no ice.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      02-14-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So today there was less ice and I tired keeping the car in "Comfort" mode and pressed the traction button. The center screen confirmed this mode is for maximum traction in lose gravel. The car went up and slipped, but activated the gas engine as soon as the slip was detected. I think the system works well but I still prefer having the car in sports mode prior to going on a slippery surface as you avoid the initial slip.

The best way I can describe the difference in the modes is akin to the difference in the All-Wheel-Drive system found on most cars and a traditional four-wheel drive system as found on a traditional SUV. When you are in sports mode the car acts as a Traditional SUV (Four-Wheel Drive) all the time. When it is "Comfort" mode the car acts like an All-Wheel-Drive system that shifts power to back wheels only when it detects loss of traction.

The mode you feel most comfortable depends on the unique scenario you a driving the car at the time.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      02-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #16
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So today there was less ice and I tired keeping the car in "Comfort" mode and pressed the traction button. The center screen confirmed this mode is for maximum traction in lose gravel. The car went up and slipped, but activated the gas engine as soon as the slip was detected. I think the system works well but I still prefer having the car in sports mode prior to going on a slippery surface as you avoid the initial slip.

The best way I can describe the difference in the modes is akin to the difference in the All-Wheel-Drive system found on most cars and a traditional four-wheel drive system as found on a traditional SUV. When you are in sports mode the car acts as a Traditional SUV (Four-Wheel Drive) all the time. When it is "Comfort" mode the car acts like an All-Wheel-Drive system that shifts power to back wheels only when it detects loss of traction.

The mode you feel most comfortable depends on the unique scenario you a driving the car at the time.
That's pobably a pretty good summary. The only difference is: non-permanent AWD systems these days are very quick at activating when needed. In the i8, the firing up of the gas engine after slip has been detected will take longer by definition - even if it's quick. So there's a bit more lag between cause and effect. Much like the old automatic gearboxes, where you stepped on it and it kicked in a second later.
Appreciate 0