Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
TheRiddler
Rep
Drives: N/A

Thinking about buying a BMW i8 as a daily driver

I'm considering buying a BMW i8 to use as a daily driver because of how unique it is, especially with the butterfly doors since I don't see that often in the wild and it seems to get great mileage as well. Also considering a Lotus Evora as well since I like how it looks and it's within the same price range as the i8 for used at least.

For my use case, storage is negligible since I'll have some other cars if I really need to transport anything large and/or carry more than 2 people. Also don't really care much about performance either since I'll be using it to get around to places like work, gym, etc. The one I'm looking at right now is a 2015 BMW i8 with 50k miles going for $70k.

My biggest concern when considering the i8 is reliability. I've heard that BMW in general isn't as good with reliability and it makes me hesitant to get the i8 as a daily driver but at the same time after everything I've looked at I keep coming back to the i8 because of how unique it is. Is it true that there are electrical problems that happen with used i8's and that the door could potentially not open because of it? And is there anything else I should pay close attention to when considering the i8?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 05:49 PM   #2
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

- i think bmw generally is expensive
- i would say the i8 has a few things going for it in terms of TCO
— firstly, gen 1s have somewhat bottomed out you can check out 4 wheel traders videos on youtube, in the grand scheme of things depreciation is the biggest cost
— because of the hybrid drive train , relative to comparables you can really choose to be more frugal on gas consumption
— the engine replacement is actually pretty cheap even if you need to fully swap it since it is a mini cooper b58 engine
— hybrid components have an 8yr warranty

The concerns for me are
— the reports of coolant issues , a few people gve reported issues where there is some sort of debris in the coolant lines and requires a serious repair <10k
- accidents that damage the frame apparently result in the car being written off
- i havent heard of door issues

All in all i love the car and unless you really really care about your 0-60 being .3s faster its an amazing DD and and respectable day trip car
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubmitter View Post
- i think bmw generally is expensive
- i would say the i8 has a few things going for it in terms of TCO
— firstly, gen 1s have somewhat bottomed out you can check out 4 wheel traders videos on youtube, in the grand scheme of things depreciation is the biggest cost
— because of the hybrid drive train , relative to comparables you can really choose to be more frugal on gas consumption
— the engine replacement is actually pretty cheap even if you need to fully swap it since it is a mini cooper b58 engine
— hybrid components have an 8yr warranty

The concerns for me are
— the reports of coolant issues , a few people gve reported issues where there is some sort of debris in the coolant lines and requires a serious repair <10k
- accidents that damage the frame apparently result in the car being written off
- i havent heard of door issues

All in all i love the car and unless you really really care about your 0-60 being .3s faster its an amazing DD and and respectable day trip car
I see, I don't really care at all about the 0-60 speed being .3s faster. There were some Youtube videos talking about how they had a lot of issues with the car which I'm still somewhat worried about. I'm definitely going to get a mechanic to check out the car first before buying it, not sure what else I can do to ensure it's good to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
The YouTube video your referring to about the door not opening is just drama. In actuality all you need is the original key fob for the car. The fob has a hidden key in it that can be used to open the door if you experience a complete electrical failure. In the YouTube video Rich only has the BMW “Display Key”. It doesn’t have the hidden key like the original fob.

Also don’t let the car sit for weeks without being plugged in. Replace the 12volt battery every 5 years and you won’t have a problem.

The AC compressor on early cars could be a potential issue. It can be replaced for about $2000. If you hear it starting to make noise just replace it before it disintegrates.

I doubt the Lotus will be any more reliable or less expensive to maintain.

I’m loving mine.

Last edited by Coastali8; 07-04-2022 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 11:16 PM   #5
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Re: i8 vs. Evora. There is a YouTube video by JayEmm on Cars where he compares the i8 to the Evora 400. Even though the Evora has more horsepower, it is down on torque and he said the i8 feels “vastly quicker” than his Evora. He said he had to wring the Evora’s neck to get the most out of it but the i8’s power was right there. My prior car was a 560 (underrated) horsepower F10 M5, but the instant torque of the i8 makes it feel quicker than the M5 and much more satisfying to drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 12:51 AM   #6
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
The YouTube video your referring to about the door not opening is just drama. In actuality all you need is the original key fob for the car. The fob has a hidden key in it that can be used to open the door if you experience a complete electrical failure. In the YouTube video Rich only has the BMW “Display Key”. It doesn’t have the hidden key like the original fob.

Also don’t let the car sit for weeks without being plugged in. Replace the 12volt battery every 5 years and you won’t have a problem.

The AC compressor on early cars could be a potential issue. It can be replaced for about $2000. If you hear it starting to make noise just replace it before it disintegrates.

I doubt the Lotus will be any more reliable or less expensive to maintain.

I’m loving mine.
Yeah that was the video I was referring to, didn't know that there was a backup since he made it seem like if there's an electrical failure then it's not possible to open the door. There was also another video by Pat's Garage Online that talked about a long list of failures with things like the oxygen sensors, doors, windshield cracking without any impact, coolant issues and some other things. Do these things happen often with i8's?

And for the older models having AC compressor issues, how old would that be? The ones I'm looking at are 2014-16 models so I'm assuming that's something I'll need to pay attention to.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:53 AM   #7
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

I daily drive my 2015 since 5 years and I won't sell it ever. If it breaks completely or I crash it, then I would buy another one immediately. There is no comparable option to the i8, in my opinion.

Why not just buy one and replace the AC Compressor? I was worried about it as well, but did some research. More here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29074298

What else..
- gas tank flap won't open. Easy chaep fix.
- windshield cracks. Mine is still fine. I cracked some one other cars though and my wife is on her 3rd (4yo 520d Touring)
- door squeeks. Easy fix. Just needs some silicone spray. I just did this laste week.
- coolant fluid low. Has mine maybe 3 times a year, but is a wrong error message. The software must be updated for this. I got quoted 250 for this. Will do it, next service.

Hey, I think every Brand/Model has lots of issues and some lemons. But I don't think, the i8 is a prone one.

Any more questions?

Cheers from Switzerland
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:09 AM   #8
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
I daily drive my 2015 since 5 years and I won't sell it ever. If it breaks completely or I crash it, then I would buy another one immediately. There is no comparable option to the i8, in my opinion.

Why not just buy one and replace the AC Compressor? I was worried about it as well, but did some research. More here: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29074298

What else..
- gas tank flap won't open. Easy chaep fix.
- windshield cracks. Mine is still fine. I cracked some one other cars though and my wife is on her 3rd (4yo 520d Touring)
- door squeeks. Easy fix. Just needs some silicone spray. I just did this laste week.
- coolant fluid low. Has mine maybe 3 times a year, but is a wrong error message. The software must be updated for this. I got quoted 250 for this. Will do it, next service.

Hey, I think every Brand/Model has lots of issues and some lemons. But I don't think, the i8 is a prone one.

Any more questions?

Cheers from Switzerland
I see, thanks for the input! This is going to be my first time buying a car so would a mechanic be able to spot issues with the doors, windshield, software, coolant, etc during the pre-purchase inspection? Honestly I don't mind having to do repairs here and there for minor issues and such, the thing that scared me was having the electrical failures end up damaging the entire car.

Here was another video I looked at as well:

The issue with that seemed to be a lemon but I wonder if the ones I'm looking at that say no issues end up to be lemon.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:02 AM   #9
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Yes a mechanic would see these problems. But some, you can test yourself.

- do the door go fuul up, or do you have to push it, for the last ich or so?
- are the doors silent, when opening/closing?
- does the thank flap open, when you push the button for it, in the drivers door?
- coolant issues would be displayed in the cluster
- let a mechanic read out the error memory
- ask, if they can check the batteries

I'm not worried about the battery. They can be replased iin pieces, not necessarily all together. The whole Battery pack can be dropped in 30mins or so. I saw a Video about it, years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #10
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Yep….seen that video too. Blown head gasket from overheating the engine. Same thing will happen to any car you overheat. His display said to “drive moderately “when the engine is overheating seems crazy to me. That’s probably what cooked the engine to the damage point. Stop driving!

My i8 had the gas tank filler door that wouldn’t open. I just disconnected the mechanism. The door still stays closed. BMW has a recall on the fuel tank pressure sensor that controls the door and you can get it fixed for free.
My reasoning for not having BMW fix the issue was because in order to fix it, the fuel tank needs to be dropped. And in order to do that the coolant lines need to be disconnected. The procedure for bleeding the air out of the system is long and complicated. It requires 2 days in the shop because the system needs to be vacuum bled. Driven, cooled, bled, driven, cooled, etc. Combined with running the engine at different RPM’s for different times.
My guess is Sam’s car had a coolant leak or was improperly bled maybe after a fuel tank pressure sensor replacement and overheated. The result was a blown head gasket. Too bad. But he also said they took the car to independent mechanics and a McLaren dealership. Neither would probably know how to bleed the system.
When BMW finally got ahold of the car they said the head gasket was blown and possible a warped head, scored cylinders etc. Diagnosis…. replace the engine.
Sam’s fix was half ass. He’s also used the engine rebuild in a can stuff on other cars he’s purchased. I feel sorry for anyone that buys a car from him! YouTube drama again.
But entertaining to watch.

I can’t comment on the windshield cracking thing. Possibly a bad install at the factory. Mine is fine so far. I think it’s pretty rare.

All the other stuff like door gas springs etc. is minor.

The Air conditioner issue I believe is for all the i8 pre LCI (2019) But I’ve heard mostly on 2014-2015.

My advice is take the car your thinking about purchasing to a BMW dealership and have them read the fault codes. Then negotiate a fix with the seller if anything turns up.

Last edited by Coastali8; 07-05-2022 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
Yep….seen that video too. Blown head gasket from overheating the engine. Same thing will happen to any car you overheat. His display said to “drive moderately “when the engine is overheating seems crazy to me. That’s probably what cooked the engine to the damage point. Stop driving!

My i8 had the gas tank filler door that wouldn’t open. I just disconnected the mechanism. The door still stays closed. BMW has a recall on the fuel tank pressure sensor that controls the door and you can get it fixed for free.
My reasoning for not having BMW fix the issue was because in order to fix it, the fuel tank needs to be dropped. And in order to do that the coolant lines need to be disconnected. The procedure for bleeding the air out of the system is long and complicated. It requires 2 days in the shop because the system needs to be vacuum bled. Driven, cooled, bled, driven, cooled, etc. Combined with running the engine at different RPM’s for different times.
My guess is Sam’s car had a coolant leak or was improperly bled maybe after a fuel tank pressure sensor replacement and overheated. The result was a blown head gasket. Too bad. But he also said they took the car to independent mechanics and a McLaren dealership. Neither would probably know how to bleed the system.
When BMW finally got ahold of the car they said the head gasket was blown and possible a warped head, scored cylinders etc. Diagnosis…. replace the engine.
Sam’s fix was half ass. He’s also used the engine rebuild in a can stuff on other cars he’s purchased. I feel sorry for anyone that buys a car from him! YouTube drama again.
But entertaining to watch.

I can’t comment on the windshield cracking thing. Possibly a bad install at the factory. Mine is fine so far. I think it’s pretty rare.

All the other stuff like door gas springs etc. is minor.

The Air conditioner issue I believe is for all the i8 pre LCI (2019) But I’ve heard mostly on 2014-2015.

My advice is take the car your thinking about purchasing to a BMW dealership and have them read the fault codes. Then negotiate a fix with the seller if anything turns up.
Thanks for the info! In terms of maintaining the i8 since it seems like there's less margin of error for cars like this, what things should I be doing for longevity purpose? I don't have any plans at all to go racing with this or anything of that nature.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #12
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Thanks for the info! In terms of maintaining the i8 since it seems like there's less margin of error for cars like this, what things should I be doing for longevity purpose? I don't have any plans at all to go racing with this or anything of that nature.
The only thing I would recommend over the normal BMW suggested maintenance is to change the oil and filter more frequently. Turbochargers don’t like dirty oil. It’s inexpensive to do yourself and very easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #13
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I have a 2014 with 13,000 miles. Previous posters are right, plug it in whenever you can to maintain the batteries, they have stayed in very good shape so far. During my last oil change I found out that there is a BMW special, bought 3 years of oil changes at the dealer for 199 USD. Oil change is important, I do it annually regardless of mileage. Check when the door struts have been replaced. They are a maintenance item and cost 300 USD every couple of years. Interior has held up perfectly well. If you get to know how the car works and all of its little quirks it is definitely a great choice. I am able to run on battery for most of my use, filling the rather small tank every 500 miles or so to top it off, unless I go on some spirited drives.

Where are you located, where are you shopping for the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #14
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I have a 2014 with 13,000 miles. Previous posters are right, plug it in whenever you can to maintain the batteries, they have stayed in very good shape so far. During my last oil change I found out that there is a BMW special, bought 3 years of oil changes at the dealer for 199 USD. Oil change is important, I do it annually regardless of mileage. Check when the door struts have been replaced. They are a maintenance item and cost 300 USD every couple of years. Interior has held up perfectly well. If you get to know how the car works and all of its little quirks it is definitely a great choice. I am able to run on battery for most of my use, filling the rather small tank every 500 miles or so to top it off, unless I go on some spirited drives.

Where are you located, where are you shopping for the car?
Thanks for the info! I'm located in the US, looking at a car in Texas right now. Might do out of state if there's a better deal somewhere else. The car I'm looking at right now is a 2016 model with 49k miles, is that too much? In general, is there a mileage range to look out for when buying an i8?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:08 AM   #15
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

Check out these videos explaining the i8 market over time. Notice the price insensitivity vs mileage for the i8

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...SuAJCgZO5gv5Xh
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:40 AM   #16
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

I daily drive mine, and do 13,000 miles a year. It's not much of a headache as long as it's in warranty! I tend to do 2 x 60 mile trips plus a few short trips a week. I plug it in most days. I love it and it swallows so much luggage (using back seats and boot), so it's very practical if you need it to be (assuming no back passengers). Great consumption too, 72mpg over the last 19,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 02:02 AM   #17
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
I daily drive mine, and do 13,000 miles a year. It's not much of a headache as long as it's in warranty! I tend to do 2 x 60 mile trips plus a few short trips a week. I plug it in most days. I love it and it swallows so much luggage (using back seats and boot), so it's very practical if you need it to be (assuming no back passengers). Great consumption too, 72mpg over the last 19,000 miles.
That's the issue, it won't have any warranty by default so I'm not sure what my options are. Other than that, it seems ideal for exactly what I'm looking for & I'll be the sole person using this almost all of the time so I'm fine with the seating and all.

Will it overcharge if it's kept plugged in all the time?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 07:35 AM   #18
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The car will not overcharge, I store my car in the Chicago winters and have it constantly plugged in as required per the BMW manual.

I wouldn't be opposed to the car you are looking at but with so many low mileage options I would definitely look for one that has less miles and a full maintenance history, preferably from a BMW dealer, since these are complex vehicles. I have the entire paper trail from the day I bought it (well I have that for all cars) and this is not a car I would have an Indy work on unless they have history with the i8.

One area many of us have addressed is the rather poor traction with the standard wheels which are focused more towards fuel efficiency. The front wheels have a challenge with the torque of the electric power, since they are propelled by the electric motor, while the rears are through the 3 cylinder Mini engine. Wheels are for sale every now and then on the forum here - plus they upgrade the looks too!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
The car will not overcharge, I store my car in the Chicago winters and have it constantly plugged in as required per the BMW manual.

I wouldn't be opposed to the car you are looking at but with so many low mileage options I would definitely look for one that has less miles and a full maintenance history, preferably from a BMW dealer, since these are complex vehicles. I have the entire paper trail from the day I bought it (well I have that for all cars) and this is not a car I would have an Indy work on unless they have history with the i8.

One area many of us have addressed is the rather poor traction with the standard wheels which are focused more towards fuel efficiency. The front wheels have a challenge with the torque of the electric power, since they are propelled by the electric motor, while the rears are through the 3 cylinder Mini engine. Wheels are for sale every now and then on the forum here - plus they upgrade the looks too!
The ones that are around my area are from a used car dealership rather than a BMW specific dealership, assuming it has the full maintenance history would that be fine?

Also, if it's taken care of then does the mileage matter that much? I don't know if this is a misconception but I've heard that generally if a car is taken care of and maintained properly then the mileage doesn't matter as much.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 09:49 AM   #20
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
Quote:

The ones that are around my area are from a used car dealership rather than a BMW specific dealership, assuming it has the full maintenance history would that be fine?

Also, if it's taken care of then does the mileage matter that much? I don't know if this is a misconception but I've heard that generally if a car is taken care of and maintained properly then the mileage doesn't matter as much.
I cannot say anything about the used car dealerships, I just think a car like the i8 can be found from BMW dealerships for a little bit more - or a private party that is clearly an enthusiast. Many i8 on the market in the price range you are referring to. Make sure that you check the battery mileage full loaded before buying it - important to confirm the state of the batteries. Also make sure that the charger is included in the sale and fully operational. If the car was regularity plugged in the batteries last for a very long time. I personally would prefer less miles and a full maintenance history, including recalls.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #21
gtrinh87
Rep
Drives: bmw i8, Lotus Evora

I had 2 i8s.

First one leased put 30k miles on it. Ran into the coolant low issue, gas tank door but not the AC issue.

Returned the car and ended up buying a BMW i8 with 35k miles. Has warranty history, where the coolant was taken care of already. I ran into the AC issue at 40k miles which was a 1k repair.

I'm at 60k miles now without much issues. I don't think I could find a cooler looking car for the money. I feel comfortable putting miles on the i8 compared to other cars. A lot of other similar cars will have their own issues too, GTRs, R8, Lotus.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 07:51 PM   #22
TheRiddler
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrinh87 View Post
I had 2 i8s.

First one leased put 30k miles on it. Ran into the coolant low issue, gas tank door but not the AC issue.

Returned the car and ended up buying a BMW i8 with 35k miles. Has warranty history, where the coolant was taken care of already. I ran into the AC issue at 40k miles which was a 1k repair.

I'm at 60k miles now without much issues. I don't think I could find a cooler looking car for the money. I feel comfortable putting miles on the i8 compared to other cars. A lot of other similar cars will have their own issues too, GTRs, R8, Lotus.
I see, how much did the coolant issue cost? I'll look into how to check for issues in the coolant but yeah the AC issue sounds like a reasonable repair cost. I agree, with all the cars I've spent time researching I keep coming back to the i8 because it fits my needs perfectly. Really hoping to pick one up soon!
Appreciate 0