BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-05-2022, 02:53 AM   #1
DanJCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mustang

Individual Orange i8

Hi All,

I have just picked up a new to me bright orange i8 (2016). I bought it from as used approved from a UK BMW main dealer and have been trying to do some digging on the back ground to how a car exists in this unique colour. I suspected it was rare / unusual and I like orange so bought it!

So far i have confirmed it was an individual BMW colour from factory (pulled from main bmw main frame). This also shows it was an internal sale sold to BMW press.

The door details sticker shows a paint code of 022p. The 022 bit seems to come back as Inka orange from google, but my car is metallic and inka orange seems to be an old BMW flat colour ….

I have hunted YouTube and actually found the exact car on a few uk vids and same model in other countries. One of the UK vids says that this is the only one of this colour in the UK - would be great if I could confirm this.

Questions i have if anyone has any ideas:
1) Does anyone have any info on this special colour bmw internal commission (if that’s what it is)? Is this something BMW do for their other models?
2) Also, Would love to know the official colour name BMW used for this car (maybe they gave this metallic Inka variant a name). Dealer has been rubbish. Does 022p paint code translated to anything (I can’t find anything )

Would be great to understand the story behind it for myself and also to pass it on when I finally sell it on in the future (if anyone knows lol).

Many Thanks

Dan

Appreciate 2
RV1M289.50
bholler5372.50
      07-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Congratulations on the rare finding. hate you for having it lol. Just kidding. Enjoy it!.
Someone must paid extra money to pull it out from the line, painted by BMW

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 03:15 PM   #3
DanJCar
Registered
Rep

Lol - thanks. Found some pics of it at goodwood festival of speed in the BMW stand. I do think its a one off.

Currently in with my detailer for a full machine polish and ceramic coat. Can’t wait to see it!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

beauty. I remember that back in 2015/16, BMW was extremely hardcore in terms of getting anything special done to i8's. The first owner of that car may have had either very good connections and / or a lot of money.

When i ordered my coupe brand new in 2015, i did a lot of noise to get a non-dark headlining with the dalbergia brown interior. We went back and forth for weeks with the factory before they settled on an 'absolute no'...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 04:09 AM   #5
DanJCar
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
beauty. I remember that back in 2015/16, BMW was extremely hardcore in terms of getting anything special done to i8's. The first owner of that car may have had either very good connections and / or a lot of money.

When i ordered my coupe brand new in 2015, i did a lot of noise to get a non-dark headlining with the dalbergia brown interior. We went back and forth for weeks with the factory before they settled on an 'absolute no'...
Thanks for the reply - interesting how stern BMW were with bespoke asks. I have given up on finding the back story but can’t wait to get it back from the detailer!
Appreciate 0