BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #89
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Harris post something interesting on his Twitter. Notice a certain logo on the front suspension?

Last edited by Carac; 05-06-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #90
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Harris post something interesting on his Twitter. Notice a certain logo on the front suspension?[/IMG]
Took me a while to notice the ///M logo! ... I was concentrating on the logos on the sticker ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #91
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Refresh my memory? Does Tesla manufacture and produce their own Carbon Fibre? Or like everybody else do they have to outsource and pay much more than you would if done in house?
You are correct Scott they don't. But BMW CF is not cheap at all either (talking about consumer prices). What Tesla has that nobody else does in electric car sphere is their car package: car-frame, batteries, motor. They figure this out the best so far.
Now to be fair, yes, BMW i cars have unique frame and I think it is even more interesting than tesla's but BMW does not have a package yet. So maybe in a few years they will but then again Tesla is not standing still either.
I guess we will see in 10/so years who wins
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #92
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
Why compare family sedan to i8? Do you compare F10 550 to Aventador? Or what's your point? Price of i8 is 1/6 of Porche 918, the only sportscar that is close to i8.

And, yes, I can imagine Tesla will come out with CF structures like i8...in 2025. Beats 2014 i8 for sure.
You criticize my comment and POV while at the same time compare i8 to P918. So, what's your point?

Anyhow, I look at these electric things this way: Tesla is only one so far who figure out how to make a usable and good looking electric car. They also been able to make it a premium car, and last I checked they are sold out months ahead. Now read what former P-car owners say (panamera) mostly as well as M5 and MB S owners - they love Tesla over these other premium cars.

About i8, the car looks good and I like the CF body technology but that's it. There is nothing else to make me want to spend $130K+ The car is not really electric as it has very short range but a hybrid. It meant to be a sports car but I do not think you can use it as one. This car seems to be for show only.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #93
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
You are correct Scott they don't. But BMW CF is not cheap at all either (talking about consumer prices). What Tesla has that nobody else does in electric car sphere is their car package: car-frame, batteries, motor. They figure this out the best so far.
Now to be fair, yes, BMW i cars have unique frame and I think it is even more interesting than tesla's but BMW does not have a package yet. So maybe in a few years they will but then again Tesla is not standing still either.
I guess we will see in 10/so years who wins
Thanks for the insight but here is the crux of the statement.

BMW manufacture their own CFRP in house they do not have to pay suppliers to manufacture and provide CFRP unlike everybody else.
That is what is significant about CFRP. BMW has the monopoly which is why we have the volume for the BMW i3.

The importance of this is that during the next decade the then replacement for the BMW 3er will be manufactured the same way as the i3.
      05-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #94
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
You criticize my comment and POV while at the same time compare i8 to P918. So, what's your point?

Anyhow, I look at these electric things this way: Tesla is only one so far who figure out how to make a usable and good looking electric car. They also been able to make it a premium car, and last I checked they are sold out months ahead. Now read what former P-car owners say (panamera) mostly as well as M5 and MB S owners - they love Tesla over these other premium cars.

About i8, the car looks good and I like the CF body technology but that's it. There is nothing else to make me want to spend $130K+ The car is not really electric as it has very short range but a hybrid. It meant to be a sports car but I do not think you can use it as one. This car seems to be for show only.
Good to know that you already know what's "suitable" use for i8. In this world where ownership of sportscar is essential, this is important information. What you say about Tesla, ok, I may agree if you tell so. But it has nothing to do with i8.

But it's good that we all can buy a car we like? So Tesla for one and i8 for another. Comparing Tesla and i8 has no sense - completely different philosophy and different cars. Do you use to compare sedans and sportscars often? Yes, that's possible, but what's the point? Just because Tesla is 100% e-car makes it no comparable to all cars on this globe.
      05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #95
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

With all due respect

Just take a look at my original comment which was a reply to another commentator who actually did state that i8 is so great that tesla has no chance against it to which I reply that as it stands today i8 has no chance against tesla, in my opinion of course which I supported with arguments. You then took my arguments without the pretext and did your critique.
Finally, take a look At chris's review again and note he is not really excited about the car even though he admires the technology and all the cool things i8 provides. It does not seem he would trade whatever he likes for i8 provided both cars are "comparable".
Anyway, peace.
      05-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #96
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Thanks for the insight but here is the crux of the statement.

BMW manufacture their own CFRP in house they do not have to pay suppliers to manufacture and provide CFRP unlike everybody else.
That is what is significant about CFRP. BMW has the monopoly which is why we have the volume for the BMW i3.

The importance of this is that during the next decade the then replacement for the BMW 3er will be manufactured the same way as the i3.
I think you're either missing or ignoring his point. BMW has CFRP in house, yes. But BMW currently lacks a product that is the complete package.

Personally I would love a fully electric BMW that could replace my 520d F11. But there isn't one big enough or with the needed range. So most likely it will be replaced by a Tesla instead...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #97
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Personally I would love a fully electric BMW that could replace my 520d F11. But there isn't one big enough or with the needed range. So most likely it will be replaced by a Tesla instead...
Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out to Tesla.

Here's hoping the make the perfect exact car YOU want. But, I'll take a mid-engined, carbon fiber, sports car that weighs nearly 1400lbs less and doesn't need a couple hours to "refuel" on a long trip. I'm not big on planning things like pre-selecting "fuel" stations along a route and how far I can go when going on vacation. I like the "stop at any station" and fuel up in less than 10 minutes freedom the i8 provides.

To everyone else that doesn't think the i8 is their "cup of tea" and is therefore intrinsically worthless, keep wasting your keystrokes and time in this and any other thread in this forum. I'll keep looking confused at people comparing apples to steak.

No one has even come up to me in the SLS and asked, "why didn't you buy an E63? It's got a bigger trunk" but I should probably get ready for people asking why I bought an i8 instead of a Tesla, because the electric range is bigger. Some metrics don't matter when you buy a car.

Last edited by Carac; 05-13-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #98
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out to Tesla.

Here's hoping the make the perfect exact car YOU want. But, I'll take a mid-engined, carbon fiber, sports car that weighs nearly 1400lbs less and doesn't need a couple hours to "refuel" on a long trip. I'm not big on planning things like pre-selecting "fuel" stations along a route and how far I can go when going on vacation. I like the "stop at any station" and fuel up in less than 10 minutes freedom the i8 provides.

To everyone else that doesn't think the i8 is their "cup of tea" and is therefore intrinsically worthless, keep wasting your keystrokes and time in this and any other thread in this forum. I'll keep looking confused at people comparing apples to steak.

No one has even come up to me in the SLS and asked, "why didn't you buy an E63? It's got a bigger trunk" but I should probably get ready for people asking why I bought an i8 instead of a Tesla, because the electric range is bigger. Some metrics don't matter when you buy a car.
Nah. I'll come back too bmw when they have catched up.

Seriously, I'd love an i8 and would take that any day if I could. But it's far out of my league in price.
Appreciate 0