BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

03-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
medman2k1
Private
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Spent a week in my newly acquired i3 w/REX

So far so good. Only issue thus far is I still do not have a level 2 charger at home and the car threw a seatbelt/airbag code/warning.

Otherwise it's an interesting/fun experience. It seems like I'm getting way more attention in this thing than my F10 M5.....weird!

All in all I'm very impressed with the drive, peppiness and overall feel of the car.

Obviously the electric range is the Achilles heel but I feel more confident with the REX.

I drove 104 miles back from dealer on a full charge and the REX with 11 miles of range on the REX left. That was with the A/C going, my wife and 2 kids in the car....Not bad.

I very well may go for the i8 in the next year or two based on how this ownership experience goes. And I may strongly consider the updated version of the i3 in 30 months versus getting the new M5.

These are my initial impressions coming from a 6yr M guy(E60, E90, E92, E93 and F10) switching over to the i3.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

Thanks for the post! I've been on the fence for an i3/M3/M5. I currently drive a MK7 Golf R (Stg 1 APR tune) and come from a ZHP.

After driving the i3 for a 48hr test drive I got bit for electric power. But every now and again I drift back towards the ///M line, so it's nice to hear that the i3 is still fun after coming from an M5!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1 View Post

So far so good. Only issue thus far is I still do not have a level 2 charger at home and the car threw a seatbelt/airbag code/warning.

Otherwise it's an interesting/fun experience. It seems like I'm getting way more attention in this thing than my F10 M5.....weird!
Tell me about it !
I get more attention in my REX than in all of my previous BMWs combined, including multiple ///M's.

With a possible exception of teenage boys - they still drool over SO M3.
As do I

Quote:
I very well may go for the i8 in the next year or two based on how this ownership experience goes. And I may strongly consider the updated version of the i3 in 30 months versus getting the new M5.
i3 and ///M are two very cool but very different vehicles, as you will undoubtedly discover.

Beware - you may find it that you want to keep both !

a
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
medman2k1
Private
Rep

Agreed.

I could easily see myself with i3 and i8 or i3 and 2018 M5.....

In fact I'm thinking that is a perfect combo for myself. Just need to see what the new M5 is about. Already bummed that it won't be a new bespoke engine rather a refresh. That in and of itself may push me to the i8. Throw in the fact that they may make AWD standard than I'm really go i8. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

In fact I'm thinking that is a perfect combo for myself. Just need to see what the new M5 is about. Already bummed that it won't be a new bespoke engine rather a refresh. That in and of itself may push me to the i8. Throw in the fact that they may make AWD standard than I'm really go i8. Time will tell.
If you don't need 4 doors, and are nimble enough to pirouette in and out of i8, than i8 is way cooler. Awesome, great looking car, but butt first seat insertion is neither graceful nor convenient:

If you need 4 door utility, or want to get in/out of the car without taking up gymnastics, then stick with ///M's.

a
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Agreed.

If you don't need 4 doors, and are nimble enough to pirouette in and out of i8, than i8 is way cooler. Awesome, great looking car, but butt first seat insertion is neither graceful nor convenient:

If you need 4 door utility, or want to get in/out of the car without taking up gymnastics, then stick with ///M's.

a
First time seeing this!! Man that was a good laugh! "Use your stomach muscles!" Classic.

I too just got an i3. I'm overall impressed with it. I feel like most reviews didn't do it justice. I ran out of charge and the REX Popped on, I've been driving just with the REX holding the charge. I really wanted to test this aspect of it. After I code it to the UK specs it will surely be near prefect. OP have you already looked into coding it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
medman2k1
Private
Rep

Yes will be planning on tint, installing my BEL STIR +
And getting the dvdinmotion unlock of the 0.6 gallons of gas and the ability to turn the REX on at 75% SOC.

At that point I think it will be a great car for its intended purpose.

Though I still will probably add the newM5 or i8 in a year or 2
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1
And getting the dvdinmotion unlock of the 0.6 gallons of gas and the ability to turn the REX on at 75% SOC.

It'll be interesting to see the new M5. Should be rather good.

How do you like the BEL Stir +? I haven't read anyone's personal reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #9
medman2k1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by medman2k1

It'll be interesting to see the new M5. Should be rather good.

How do you like the BEL Stir +? I haven't read anyone's personal reviews.
The BEL STIR + is still considered the top radar detector on the market.

It is better than a V1 in all facets.

I had a very positive experience in the few years that I used it. I had it paired with the laser interceptor diffusers. Multiple threats identified and or defeated(laser gun) multiple times a month.

The only thing that I know that MAY be superior is the stinger VIP. That is 7k+ setup. Will do more research on that when I add the i8 or M5 in a year or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #10
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I've come from an E60 M5 and while I do miss the top end acceleration, I don't miss the 10 MPG I would get just cruising around.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

well Guys.... really good to hear your comments coming from M5s, we too have never had so much attention (other then the weekend test drive of the i8) but were going from an X3 (and other non BMWs) - so great that you find it fun.
For me it is just amazingly good fun to drive round town day to day - so quick it makes me smile every time - so thank you.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

My husband and I have an i3 BEV, an F85 X5 M, and an F82 M4, and the i3 is the one that gets the most attention. It's also the one that starts the most conversations with strangers wanting to know more, and/or see inside of it. The i3 is my husband's daily driver, and he loves it. I, too, love it, and it's a nice change from the M Division cars when I get to drive it! We are incredibly impressed with how well the i3 holds its own against the M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #13
outie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Taycan GTS

Garage List
No offense but I am not sure why someone would be surprised that an i3 gets more attention than a M5. To *most* people, a M5 is just another 1 of thousands of 5 series on the road.
      06-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #14
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
No offense but I am not sure why someone would be surprised that an i3 gets more attention than a M5. To *most* people, a M5 is just another 1 of thousands of 5 series on the road.
No offense taken.

But do consider that:
- M5 is a very special vehicle to those who know what it is.
- i3 is a widely regarded as an ugly duckling by everyone other than a hard-core group of its owners. It's close to our hearts as BMW's first foray into the EV world, and as an affordable EV in the marketplace. But very few bought it for it's looks...

a
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by outie View Post
No offense taken.

But do consider that:
- M5 is a very special vehicle to those who know what it is.
- i3 is a widely regarded as an ugly duckling by everyone other than a hard-core group of its owners. It's close to our hearts as BMW's first foray into the EV world, and as an affordable EV in the marketplace. But very few bought it for it's looks...

a
You know for most points you make are always well thought out and hard to argue, but what I have found to a very large degree is that the i3 missed its target audience.

I get tons of positive feedback from many many people but strangely these people are either the young 15 to 25 and the very elderly 60 to 70 crowd.

As far as the middle of the road aged people are on the fence.

I was at the eyes on design show this past weekend as a judge at the Edsel ford mansion by lake st. Clair and the i3 was featured at the show and it had tons of people around it at times but they where youngsters.

Unfortunately they just don't have the coin to afford the car. To them it still looks like a concept car.

The young people nowadays seem to care more of technology then a slippery sexy car shape, maybe that's why they like the teck of the car who knows.

I do think one of the problems is it has a hatch back proportion which puts it into the 20 to 30k range of adopters but as soon as you pure the price in the mid 40 to mid 50k range now your in the sexy shape category.

I also think the public tends to like boring average design. Hence why they sell so many camery's. Heehhe.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

I must be odd then. I bought the i3 despite its looks, and for how it drives.

For a low (running) cost runabout, there is nothing that drives like it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH
I must be odd then. I bought the i3 despite its looks, and for how it drives.

For a low (running) cost runabout, there is nothing that drives like it.
Totally agree my friend !

I would go out on a limb and predict 90% of the posters that hate on the car never even took one out and drove it, not that they have to. But I bet it would change some hearts.
But I also think a lot of the hate are from BMW diehards that believe BMW's have to fit a particular look and feel and this little car doesn't fit any of their formulas other than it being rear wheel drive and having the roundel badge.

They see it as a Prius wrapped in a BMW skin.

They see it as everything wrong with BMW not staying true to their heritage. Yet it does somehow

Anyway, I've been through a new car every year as of late and got board with them after a short while, I still find this car fresh and new feeling every time i drive it. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Still feels like driving a concept car

Look forward to keeping the little bugger!
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #18
alfred1976
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

I went from AMG E55 to I3 and don't regret it. It is awesome and easy to drive in LA traffic.

Quote:

All in all I'm very impressed with the drive, peppiness and overall feel of the car.

Obviously the electric range is the Achilles heel but I feel more confident with the REX.

I drove 104 miles back from dealer on a full charge and the REX with 11 miles of range on the REX left. That was with the A/C going, my wife and 2 kids in the car....Not bad.

These are my initial impressions coming from a 6yr M guy(E60, E90, E92, E93 and F10) switching over to the i3.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #19
medman2k1
Private
Rep

As a 90 day update

I continue to enjoy the car. Will definitely be hanging onto it for the full 30 month lease period.

Leaning towards adding i8 to stable in late 2017 but will hold out hope that I'm wowed by the new M5.

Just a fun fact-Have about 2800 miles on car. Have put a total a of 4 gallons of gas in car. It really is not the money, just a total contrast to M5 where I was filling up about once every 10 days or so

I3 is a winner in my book!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #20
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
As an owner of an i8 and i3 (and new X5M), go for the i8. It's so unique and fun. Nothing else out there like it.
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #21
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
[...]what I have found to a very large degree is that the i3 missed its target audience.

I get tons of positive feedback from many many people but strangely these people are either the young 15 to 25 and the very elderly 60 to 70 crowd.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but allow me to add some color.

We (3x-5x age group) are not on the fence. It's just the folks in this age group tend to start forming families and having kids, and i3 is just not a practical family car. It just isn't, for many reasons.

Sure, it can be adopted to be of use, but not as the dependable primary car, or even as the secondary car. 3rd or 4th - sure, but now you are narrowing your total addressable market to families with enough parking space, enough cash flow, and enough interest in cars to dabble in EV market.

Quote:
I also think the public tends to like boring average design. Hence why they sell so many camery's. Heehhe.
Well, public likes cheap stuff that's good enough (e.g: Walmart inventory).
Design plays a part, but I would posit that price considerations trump design in this price range.

That is why F150 is the best selling vehicle in the US. It's not that US consumers have to have pick-ups or love pick-up styling and design statements. It's that F150s start in low 20s before rebates and bonus cash, reducing drive-off price to high teens. Similar for Camry's.

Camry's and F150s are significantly cheaper than bimmers, but good enough for everyday use. I rent Toyota products when I travel (prefer to alternatives), and frankly, they are 99% good for me. I enjoy driving performance cars and would never trade my M3 for a Camry, but if circumstances dictated, I would accept Camry as a family car without reservations.

Bimmers are more expensive. They are a luxury good.
3-series starts in mid $30s, easily hitting $40s and higher.
i3 starts in mid $40s, easily hitting $50s if you are not careful.

And i3 is just not a $50K car. It's a statement car. It's a high-tech car. It's a design car. It's many things, but luxury appeal is not one of them.

Tesla's Model S, on the other hand, is all about luxury (among many other things).
And now is starts in high 50s.

Sadly, that will leave i3s lingering on the showroom floors for the foreseeable future.
But for those of us leasing i3s, we can thank Tesla for even more aggressive future i3 lease offers

a
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #22
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
[...]what I have found to a very large degree is that the i3 missed its target audience.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but allow me to add some color.

We (3x-5x age group) are not on the fence. It's just the folks in this age group tend to start forming families and having kids, and i3 is just not a practical family car. It just isn't, for many reasons.

Sure, it can be adopted to be of use, but not as the dependable primary car, or even as the secondary car. 3rd or 4th - sure, but now you are narrowing your total addressable market to families with enough parking space, enough cash flow, and enough interest in cars to dabble in EV market.

Quote:
Well, public likes cheap stuff that's good enough (e.g: Walmart inventory).
Design plays a part, but I would posit that price considerations trump design in this price range.

That is why F150 is the best selling vehicle in the US. It's not that US consumers have to have pick-ups or love pick-up styling and design statements. It's that F150s start in low 20s before rebates and bonus cash, reducing drive-off price to high teens. Similar for Camry's.

Camry's and F150s are significantly cheaper than bimmers, but good enough for everyday use. I rent Toyota products when I travel (prefer to alternatives), and frankly, they are 99% good for me. I enjoy driving performance cars and would never trade my M3 for a Camry, but if circumstances dictated, I would accept Camry as a family car without reservations.

Bimmers are more expensive. They are a luxury good.
3-series starts in mid $30s, easily hitting $40s and higher.
i3 starts in mid $40s, easily hitting $50s if you are not careful.

And i3 is just not a $50K car. It's a statement car. It's a high-tech car. It's a design car. It's many things, but luxury appeal is not one of them.

Tesla's Model S, on the other hand, is all about luxury (among many other things).
And now is starts in high 50s.

Sadly, that will leave i3s lingering on the showroom floors for the foreseeable future.
But for those of us leasing i3s, we can thank Tesla for even more aggressive future i3 lease offers

a
Yea I know, you have to remember as a designer my judgments are purely emotion based .

Never would buy a Toyota, would rather walk.

But that's just me.
Appreciate 0