Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Center stack lighting outage

Has anyone else had this center stack flicker, then go out??

It came back on after powering down then back on .

Have an appointment today, will report findings for future reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT View Post
What exactly are you referring to as "center stack"?
The HVAC buttons cluster?

Quote:

Possibly, I had a similar problem this spring. The lights for my seat heaters would come on (upon engagement) and then turn off intermittently, randomly. Sometimes they would resume working after a power or charging cycle, but eventually, they would reliably flake out within seconds of attempting to turn heaters on.

I took the car in for service, and after replacing the actual seat heating elements in vain, the dealer had to order from Germany and replace the "Radio and climate control module" #61-31-9-379-125. That fixed the issue for me.

a
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
What exactly are you referring to as "center stack"?
The HVAC buttons cluster?

Quote:

Possibly, I had a similar problem this spring. The lights for my seat heaters would come on (upon engagement) and then turn off intermittently, randomly. Sometimes they would resume working after a power or charging cycle, but eventually, they would reliably flake out within seconds of attempting to turn heaters on.

I took the car in for service, and after replacing the actual seat heating elements in vain, the dealer had to order from Germany and replace the "Radio and climate control module" #61-31-9-379-125. That fixed the issue for me.

a
Yeah, that whole area with the controls below the NAV screen. It's over with the dealer now. Hopefully Monday I'll hear back.

A, have you had any check drivetrain notifications?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, yes, I did. Not sure if it was related though.

My i3 is a semi-lemon, managing multiple issues going on at the same time, most of the time.

a
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
Actually, yes, I did. Not sure if it was related though.

My i3 is a semi-lemon, managing multiple issues going on at the same time, most of the time.

a
Very interesting,

Would you mind sharing the issues you are experiencing ? Via PM or email if you prefer.

I too have been concerned about my i3. Like other underlying issues may be present.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
In case anyone was curious as to what the results of taking my i3 to service was :

It was a result of low voltage.

In my experience thus far with the i3, I couldn't personally chalk up low voltage to be the cause.
I've ran purely on the range extender a few times when the battery was less than 5% and have never had this problem. Here in Texas, I'm wondering if this heat was part of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMGRT
In case anyone was curious as to what the results of taking my i3 to service was :

In my experience thus far with the i3, I couldn't personally chalk up low voltage to be the cause.
I've ran purely on the range extender a few times when the battery was less than 5% and have never had this problem. Here in Texas, I'm wondering if this heat was part of the problem.
Well heat will affect LED performance, normally make it less bright with higher heat but not sure of all out failure. It's possible though as the electronics in an interior have a threshold and high heat could cause failure of certain PC boards. Or just a simple failure, it happened. It amazes me as complex everything is we don't have more failures.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting,

Would you mind sharing the issues you are experiencing ? Via PM or email if you prefer.

I too have been concerned about my i3. Like other underlying issues may be present.
Nothing secret here.
I do believe that I got a lemon-ish i3 (Nov'14 build), as others have reported minimal to zero issues with theirs.

Over ~16 months and 17K miles of ownership, my car has been in for warranty work at least 8 times. 3 repairs had to wait for parts from Germany that took more than a week to arrive and get installed. In total, I had put ~3K miles on the loaner BEV (roughly 1/3 of total miles on that particular loaner ;-). On the plus side, driving the loaner does help with my lease mileage quota, though.

So far, I've had the following things worked on / replaced / reprogrammed, some multiple times:
- engine mounts and bolts (3 times to date - kid you not). Temporary improvement after each attempted repair, squeaking persists. Worst when freezing outside - to be continued in December (SIB 220415, RO 374684).
- steering column squeaking / clunking / rattling (multiple times). Things lubed and replaced (SIB 320315, 310614, 320415).
- right rear suspension (shock replaced, bolts/mounts/pads replaced). Clunking persists (SIB 220115).
- seat heaters failed. Seat heating mat replaced, radio and climate control unit replaced.
- check engine light on (multiple). Replaced "battery charger isolation valve". Replaced A/C charge lock actuator(?).
- "lighting system malfunction", "chassis stabilization malfunction". Can't be reproduced, things reprogramed, repeat.

The above are from memory and some receipts I filed away.

YMMV,
a

Last edited by afadeev; 07-06-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
afadeev
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Which battery - main 360V driver batteries, or 12V electrical system battery?

Quote:
Heat can definitely be a contributing factor.
When I lived in TX, all 12V batteries lasted half of their expected lifespan in the rest of the country, and usually failed in the summer.

Has anyone looked - is i3's 12V battery fully sealed and maintenance free, or do you have to add distilled water to it?

a
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Which battery - main 360V driver batteries, or 12V electrical system battery?

Heat can definitely be a contributing factor.
When I lived in TX, all 12V batteries lasted half of their expected lifespan in the rest of the country, and usually failed in the summer.

Has anyone looked - is i3's 12V battery fully sealed and maintenance free, or do you have to add distilled water to it?

a
It is a fully sealed AGM battery. Also, it is very small, I believe 40Ah.
Appreciate 0