Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Question on range extender

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm unclear on the overall range available when using the range extender. Info says it maintains the battery charge at an acceptable rate while in use, but it also seems to claim it's only for the distance from one tank. Is it possible to just keep refueling and driving indefinitely, or will the i3 with range extender still need to be charged conventionally after 180 miles?

I'm mainly curious if I could occasionally use one to drive to Austin from Dallas, which is 200 miles, or if that's just outside of the scope of this car. Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
rorystewart
Rep
Drives: Old Explorer

The previews have said that the generator kicks in once the remaining charge reaches a specified low level. A good guess would be around 20 miles. At that point, the 2.4 gallon tank generator can charge the battery with about 80 more miles of electricity.

So yes, you could take a 200 miles road trip with the range extender. Your car would operate just like a conventional gas car, albeit one with a very very small gas tank. So you would fill it up with 2.4 gallons just before 180 miles, which would get you back to 80 miles remaining and you would arrive in Austin with just fine. But if you had to drive the car 200 miles back home again without a recharge in Austin you would have to stop at a gas station every 80 miles or so, which would be annoying, but doable.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorystewart View Post
The previews have said that the generator kicks in once the remaining charge reaches a specified low level. A good guess would be around 20 miles. At that point, the 2.4 gallon tank generator can charge the battery with about 80 more miles of electricity.

So yes, you could take a 200 miles road trip with the range extender. Your car would operate just like a conventional gas car, albeit one with a very very small gas tank. So you would fill it up with 2.4 gallons just before 180 miles, which would get you back to 80 miles remaining and you would arrive in Austin with just fine. But if you had to drive the car 200 miles back home again without a recharge in Austin you would have to stop at a gas station every 80 miles or so, which would be annoying, but doable.
Excellent, thanks. Austin is littered with charging stations, so I think I'd be okay, or could at least trickle from 110v, worst case.

I'm having bad visions of dangling out of the side of the car with a 5g fuel canister and doing on the fly refills.
Appreciate 0