that i5 is looking hot! now we're talking
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #68
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Mass producing carbon fiber vehicles means solving many problems and pioneering it in the I-series means any hiccups (hope there aren't any!) do not reflect on the core non-I segment. So, even if you do not like the vehicle, many of the lessons learned will carry over to make the other vehicles lighter, stronger, corrosion resistant, and safer. As production of carbon fiber gets more experience, and working with it becomes second nature, this substance will become a major component of all vehicle construction. BMW, by taking this big step, is gaining the experience necessary to leap ahead of the pack.

I've owned some less than stellar looking vehicles in my life, but I look at their functionality as much, if not more, than their exterior glitz. Really, what's to love about the best selling vehicle in the USA, a pickup truck? Not particularly beautiful except maybe in function. I could care less that you don't like the look of the vehicle...if it performs well, is efficient, and reliable and I fit (which leaves out most of the BMW line and many others!), that is what is required.

From a practical viewpoint, I'd probably never break even with the gasoline savings verses charging up a vehicle given the initial costs - it would be strictly the novelty and pleasure of owning something that works well. FWIW, I just spend a good number of thousands (actually this afternoon) on a mechanical watch...a $25 quartz watch will probably keep better time, but there are at least some people that appreciate quality engineering and look at it that way. Aesthetics are important, but not the primary part of what I consider a tool...the tool must work well, then you may decide if it you must have one that pleases your visual senses. The i3 does not displease my senses, and if it lives up to the design goal, the engineering will be something to be appreciated.

You can knock the F07 (which I own) as well, but it is the only BMW model I can get in and out of without bending into a pretzel or hitting my head...its form meets my required functionality. I'd like to be able to buy one without a sunroof to gain some additional headroom while in the thing, but marketeers just don't seem to think that is a good thing (at least for the rest of the world, it's available as an option in Germany).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #69
coldXDrive
Rep
Drives: Dirty 335=]

CRAP!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #70
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
I appreciate your reply, Scott. However, I believe people in the US look at Tesla as a serious option because of the ways that it ISN'T different. In other words, it looks like a normal, high class car and it accelerates well. The people who would drive it would not be caught dead in a little boxy green car.

That said, Tesla also has yet to show a legitimate profit. They would have been $57 million in the hole last quarter if it weren't for the $68 million they generated from the mandated California emissions credits that they sold. My point is that I don't believe the i3 had any of the features that made Teslas sell, and beyond that, Tesla is not a business anyone should try to follow.

It's also a bit scary to us BMW enthusiasts to hear statements like the i3 is the most important thing in the history of BMW. That would mark a radical departure for the company that we know and love.

Just one more thing - I WILL buy an electric from BMW when:
1. Energy storage density increases enough that I can enjoy the same power and range as a gas-powered car.
2. You create a car that doesn't look like a pod or a space ship.
3. Charging stations are a bit more common.
+1 to all that is said here. I would add, it BMW has eventual plans, or even keeps it an option to make a 3-series shaped/styled (though unique is fine) version of the i-series, then I am interested. I suppose it is fine to test the market with small goofy-looking cars, and it may make engineering sense to design it that way, ok fine.. But as Andre Agassi so elegantly put, 'image is everything' and this has a ***** image
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #71
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

I am sorry. But this "thing" is just not very appealing. Maybe when an actual car is built it may be a lot nicer. But for now BMW gets. D-
      06-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #72
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

The car will look better in person than on those patent images.

Of course, people who don't like this type of car, won't fall in love with it. But for compact electric cars, the classic two-box or three-box design doesn't make so much sense, as the long bonnet isn't needed, but compromises packaging.

Even if you dislike the design, I don't understand how one can't be amazed by the technological approach behind this whole project. For me the i3 is much more interesting than, let's say, the new M3/M4, as you can see on many details, that this project was started from scratch, with much less limitations than usual.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #73
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
This is something I've often wondered. Why do all "green" vehicles have to look so terrible?.
They don't. Teslamotors.com
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #74
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Yes we are moving forward on other ideas for Concepts for the BMWi brand including a Sports Sedan which will not be an electric 5er.
Bingo.

- J
      06-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #75
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
      06-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #76
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

This thing is going to give the Pontiac Aztec a run for its money
      07-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #77
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Hideous.
      07-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Its time to learn a new German Word:

The All-Electric BMW i3 unveiling July 29.

07-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #79
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Looking forward to 29th. Get the price right and there's a market. Over price it and it will flop. Prices mentioned by journalists are far too high for public to buy this in reasonable numbers. Leaf prices dropping to try to encourage buyers.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #80
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The genius of BMWi is that with our rental partner Sixt we will offer the i3 as a daily rental choice allowing consumers to become familiar with BMW electric mobility.

This is not about ultimate exclusivity, you are not going to be chosen like some of our competitors electrified extended options.
In order for BMWi to succeed, then everyone will be able to get the opportunity to rent and experience the i3.

Sixt will also rent out the BMW i8 progressive sports car when it arrives on the market.
      07-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #81
lakylester
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i, A4

What I do not understand is why any manufacturer, less BMW, produce any model which looks like this.. If it looked anything like the e82 (which a marginal portion of the population thought was ugly) the sales would go up a lot more then you think.

Just my wager...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #82
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I'm good with everything but the back side window. WTF is that kink? Why not take the shoulder line straight back?

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #83
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

considering that i3 is a tiny car (151 in), about the size of a MINI, I think i5 is going to be size of Prius, Leaf, Volt (~175 in), and be the premium/luxury option of that size electric/hybrid car.
And maybe i7 to compete with Tesla Model S (~195 in). That would TKO Tesla brand altogether. Right now, people buy Tesla's because that's the only option but who would prefer Tesla over BMW?
I'm all in behind BMWi.

But I still want to see 8 Series, sports car/roadster, and a super car.

Mercedes has SLS and SL, Audi has R8. We have nothing. i8 is cool, but that is BMWi not BMW.
I'm hoping that the BMW/Toyota sports car is a bigger roadster, like Z6/Z8 to compete with SL, F-type, 911
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #84
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

BMW needs to take notes from TESLA on this one! Re-design PLEASE!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #85
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
I don't think that BMW is introducing this car to appeal to the enthusiasts on this and other sites, and there is no indication that they won't be offering cars that do appeal to us for a long time! It's the same whenever a new X model is introduced, with lots of people having a conniption fit about brand dilution, etc. The current crop of BMWs is amazing and offers nearly something for anyone who wants one.

Where the i3 and other i vehicles become interesting is that BMW will have something to offer when resources and regulations make petroleum-powered vehicles prohibitive. You'll be able to drive one of these to work, being all green and efficient, while keeping your favorite E or F series car for weekend getaways, track days, and so on. This will be far more enjoyable, I will bet, than having to drive an electric appliance from the other manufacturers. BMW knows something about making cars that are interesting to drive, and I expect them to apply this to the i vehicles quite nicely!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #86
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
WTF! I love BMW but this is BS. When are the going to focus on making the "Ultimate Driving Machine". I know they need to broaden their products in order to exist in this competitive environment, but I expect BMW to win comparison's against AMG, Audi RS, etc. I don't like all of my car magazines ranking them last and producing products that don't compare to previous generation BMW products (i.e. steering feel, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #87
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I don't want a lifestyle car. I want a 'performance' car. You're missing the mark. Rethink it. What will get a Redneck to buy one? Sell me the same car based on specs. Cars marketed based on ideals and social trends fail. The spreadsheet of specs does not include social aspects. Horsepower, range, size, whatever. Not lifestyle. Why limit your market to that perceived market? Ill perceived.

Compare it to others cars in the segment the old fashioned way. Get on with the development.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #88
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

I got cut off by a hot chick in a tesla s so I thought that was cool... even so there is still some mundane features to it

I get the point of the new German word but it looks very weird and strange like a rubber gerbil made for backstage oscar parties

I rather take a escalade on dubs with hybrid painted on the side of it with big green letters

CFRP R&D doesn't have to look so ugly... why is the next Gen 7 series also a testbed... this could have been totally devoted to m and x cars especially the M2
Appreciate 0