07-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #111
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
FYI The BMW i3 MegaCity Vehicle will be offered in eDrive and ReX versions.
ReX is a range extended i3 with additional two cylinder BMW engine from the BMW Motorrad division.

If you hope that BMWs project I fails then you want the whole of BMW to fail.
This 1 billion investment just does not cover cars , but an entire new engineering approach at BMW which has left our more resourceful competitors way behind in developing new methods of material construction and production.

The i3 introduces the world to the first volume production car made from CFRP which is possible because BMW have perfected its CFRP use over the years allowing to be cost effective for use within the M6 , M3 and forthcoming M4 that our competitors cannot match.

Audi might have been pioneering aluminium space frame technology but where is their modern equivalent?
Everybody has caught up even BMW used aluminium tech in models like the Z8 and Rolls-Royce Phantom and in the front structure of the E60 5er.

The next generation 7er begins the transition to a production BMW within the core series, promising lightweight and the most technically advanced 7er and if not BMW ever with an entry 7er weighing the same as a 520d.

Project-I is not just about BMWi . It will cover BMW , BMWM , MINI and Rolls-Royce, the investment was to develop the technology , production , infrastructure to support the entire BMW Group. In order to meet strict legislation being forced onto auto manufacturers the initiative will allow BMW to further its ambitions to meet these targets ahead of their competitors.
Well said. People for the most are reluctant to change. The i brand represents the most radical change BMW has taken upon perhaps in the company history. Leaders take chances, they pioneer new ideas and they usually have to listen to the legions of naysayers shout how they are wrong and have lost their way. 100 years ago in 1913 Henry Ford started making the Model T on his assembly line. It revolutionized the automobile industry. People thought he was crazy. He said if he had asked his customers what they wanted back then they would have said a faster horse because they just didn't have his vision.

BMW i is going to lead BMW into the next automotive revolution with electric vehicles, plug in hybrids, revolutionary manufacturing processes as you noted, etc. These are exciting times, just don't expect many people to recognize that - at least not just yet.