04-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
Can't see this being less than 50% above the R8 price. And not unreasonably in view of the technology and the limited numbers.
Maybe it will come in cheaper than we expect. The technology thats being used has somewhat already been paid for as far as Research and Development goes. The hybrid powertrains have been tested already in the Mini-E and Active-E models that BMW has had on the road, and also the other hybrid vehicles in BMW's stable. The carbon fiber technology (CFRP) has already been tested in the E92 M3 and now the F12 M6. BMW has also been working with companies like SGL who has poured their own money into CFRP.

Maybe by the time the i8 is released these efforts will have paid off and we can see better price points for these new technologies in mass production.

Just an opposite way of looking at things
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
Rolitto
Second Lieutenant
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW

Coupe: YESSS, Spyder: NOOO.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #26
eezzee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezzee View Post
Can't see this being less than 50% above the R8 price. And not unreasonably in view of the technology and the limited numbers.
Maybe it will come in cheaper than we expect. The technology thats being used has somewhat already been paid for as far as Research and Development goes. The hybrid powertrains have been tested already in the Mini-E and Active-E models that BMW has had on the road, and also the other hybrid vehicles in BMW's stable. The carbon fiber technology (CFRP) has already been tested in the E92 M3 and now the F12 M6. BMW has also been working with companies like SGL who has poured their own money into CFRP.

Maybe by the time the i8 is released these efforts will have paid off and we can see better price points for these new technologies in mass production.

Just an opposite way of looking at things
I hope you're right. Depends whether aiming to recover costs/ subsidise or charge a premium for the technology. In view of the lack of direct competitors, the nearest, the Porsche 918R, also out next year is set to be around a million dollars, there's a lot of scope to price it. For what it's worth I think it will be around 200k USD.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #27
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDiesel View Post
this car would look so much better if they made it look less like something that came out of star trek... here's a quick PS I made:

Actually you are not that far off in terms of what will be possible with the BMWi Personalisation programme for the i8 , minus the CS Concept Wheels of course.

The i8 Spyder is seen as the more intimate version of the i8 but has always been part of the i8 Strategy to build on this unique progression of a Sports car. Another is an Extended wheel base of the Coupe allowing more rear passenger space similar to the original Vision EfficientDynamics Concept car with one large door for easy entry/exit. That car is being evaluated now.
      04-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
this car would look so much better if they made it look less like something that came out of star trek... here's a quick PS I made:

I think that since the doors won't be glass that it looks better without the blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
AudiKiller
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Is it weird that I have a boner?
      04-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #30
EvilDiesel
TorqueMonster
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Actually you are not that far off in terms of what will be possible with the BMWi Personalisation programme for the i8 , minus the CS Concept Wheels of course.

The i8 Spyder is seen as the more intimate version of the i8 but has always been part of the i8 Strategy to build on this unique progression of a Sports car. Another is an Extended wheel base of the Coupe allowing more rear passenger space similar to the original Vision EfficientDynamics Concept car with one large door for easy entry/exit. That car is being evaluated now.
i was expecting that bmw isn't going to force you to stick with that blue if you decide to purchase a bmwi. this leaves the hideous wheels / narrow tires as a gripe i have with this car.

i have an inside source telling me that plans to make an non tree hugging ///M version to compete with the r8 / 918 / sls have been dropped... can you confirm this?
      04-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #31
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
i was expecting that bmw isn't going to force you to stick with that blue if you decide to purchase a bmwi. this leaves the hideous wheels / narrow tires as a gripe i have with this car.

i have an inside source telling me that plans to make an non tree hugging ///M version to compete with the r8 / 918 / sls have been dropped... can you confirm this?
the insiders on this website have also echoed this statement - this car will not get a gasoline only engine or have an M version
Appreciate 0