Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

04-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
nunosousa
Rep
Drives: 135i , M3 Cabrio (gone!), i8

M2 or i8 ? Please give me your thoughts...

Hello.
Feeling very interested in diving in to be an i8 owner.
Last week I had a thorough test drive, thanks to my BMW dealer in Portugal and immediately fell in love with the car. What a surprise.
Meanwhile, they just receiving the new M2 which I intend to drive next week.
I do own a 135i ( which I will take to my grave, love the car ) and a 2009 M3 Cabrio, DKG full extras.
I already decided the M3 has to go. It's a great car but I really 'don't feel that connection I should while driving it. Somehow, I enjoy my 135i much more than my M3.

The i8 is a different matter. I really love the versatility of drive use, and the way the car transforms itself from electric to full blown , smileonyourface toy.

Meanwhile , the M2 is lurking. For me the M2 seems like the M everyone is waiting for. No doubt I'm gonna love it. But there is nothing different here...

Can you guys gimme your opinion ? Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Nuno
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
MrRob
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

The i8 is definitely not an M car. It does not have the sharp handling that M cars have (although maybe some of the recent M cars also suffer too).

I drove 3 different M3/4's and di not buy one. They are supremely fast but dos not feel as exciting to drive as a high revving na engined car.

It only took me five minutes in the i8 to decide it was a completely different proposition and so far ahead of everything else on the market at a similar price or less.

The torque from the electric motor is addictive and you learn to drive the car in a different way to use that to full effect. The i8 is not the most dynamic or sharpest handling car out there and does suffer from understeer when approaching the limit which at first frustrated me as I have not experienced this from a BMW before. However if you adapt and change the way you drive slightly it is a great car for road use and I would suggest after point to point than pretty much anything else out there.

The only thing it lacks is an encapsulating raucous engine/exhaust note but then so do most turbocharged cars and I think the M2 will suffer from this also. Whilst the M2 has the rear axles and brakes from
The M4 it does not have the same twin turbo engine and is using a modified version of the N54, which when I drove in the 1M Coupe I found to be not that special.

Hope this gives you some things to consider.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
they are hard to compare. i owned a 135 and M235 and can say that the i8 is much more of an experience. for the money the M2 is awesome but not like a true M car. more like a 235 with a tune. the i8 is just so comfortable and styling is beyond anything else out there. it's a very easy DD but the attention can be overwhelming
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
nunosousa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRob View Post
The i8 is definitely not an M car. It does not have the sharp handling that M cars have (although maybe some of the recent M cars also suffer too).

I drove 3 different M3/4's and di not buy one. They are supremely fast but dos not feel as exciting to drive as a high revving na engined car.

It only took me five minutes in the i8 to decide it was a completely different proposition and so far ahead of everything else on the market at a similar price or less.

The torque from the electric motor is addictive and you learn to drive the car in a different way to use that to full effect. The i8 is not the most dynamic or sharpest handling car out there and does suffer from understeer when approaching the limit which at first frustrated me as I have not experienced this from a BMW before. However if you adapt and change the way you drive slightly it is a great car for road use and I would suggest after point to point than pretty much anything else out there.

The only thing it lacks is an encapsulating raucous engine/exhaust note but then so do most turbocharged cars and I think the M2 will suffer from this also. Whilst the M2 has the rear axles and brakes from
The M4 it does not have the same twin turbo engine and is using a modified version of the N54, which when I drove in the 1M Coupe I found to be not that special.

Hope this gives you some things to consider.
Thanks MrRob.
That confirms exactly my first impression of the i8. A different animal altogether. I really love the comfort and different driving modes, I hope that doesn't wear off. Meaning, do you still enjoy using the different modes or do you just use in sport mode as soon as you get inside ?
I do some city and motorway driving and I really envision using all modes.

The reason I like the 135i ( mine has all the original performance parts) is that unlike the 1M its really a compact discreet car like a 120i but has this double personality when you push it. Love the size too.

The i8 has 3 personalities. I like that.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
nunosousa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky_soldier View Post
they are hard to compare. i owned a 135 and M235 and can say that the i8 is much more of an experience. for the money the M2 is awesome but not like a true M car. more like a 235 with a tune. the i8 is just so comfortable and styling is beyond anything else out there. it's a very easy DD but the attention can be overwhelming
Hi. Thanks.

That's actually what I thought about the M2 ( tuned 235I) although BMW told me I would change my mind when I drive it. We'll see.

The attention from driving the i8 for me can be a problem. I like to not be noticed. That's why I love the 135i. I'm kind of shy.

When I drove the i8 , it was like Batman had arrived. I really noticed EVRYONE was staring.

Nuno
Appreciate 0