Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

06-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
lopezx90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Can you lease a I8? If yes, how does the payments look like?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopezx90 View Post
Can you lease a I8? If yes, how does the payments look like?
You will be able to lease an i8 (if you can get one).

I don't think anyone will know what the payments might look like until the car is released officially in the US and they start taking real, actual orders.

Personally I think this is a car that is worth buying and keeping, though.

More (basic) info on BMWi financing page:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...gProducts.aspx
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #25
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The i8 as tested by Road & Track did 0-60mph in 3.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12.3s at 114.4mph.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roada...tWorksheet.pdf

So, how is the i8 slower than the Tesla P85 again?

Further, the Tesla, if I'm not mistaken, is governed at 133mph, whereas the i8 is governed at 155mph.

In every way conceivable, the Tesla is slower than the i8.

That's not even beginning to talk about weight and handling. Let's see them do a run in the canyons together... not to mention there is zero comparison in the looks department. I'll take an i8 over the electrocuted bastard child of a Hyundai and a Kia any day, thanks!

---

One note though, if the discussion is about electric cars, then yes, Tesla is the fastest. The i8 is a hybrid, not an electric car. You can actually drive it across the country and on long road trips without recharging, since the battery will keep charge from the ICE. These 2 cars really have nothing in common. Though, in terms of pure performance specs, the i8 is faster as tested by R&T.
The looks department is subjective, car rugs numbers vary widely and are notoriously wrong , both cars are luxurious, stylish, fast although I think the Tesla is quicker based on actual 1/4 mile times at the dragstrip.
The Tesla is greener, tell me how the i8 is going to change our preconceived notions of what a green car is?
Attached Images

Last edited by V1.47fan; 06-09-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #26
omegaSMP300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S, Boxster GTS, R8 V10+

The i8 is looking good. I saw an i3 out in the wild for the first time yesterday. The car definitely looked interesting not for me I don't think (hybrid 911 perhaps) but still very cool.
2017 R8 V10 Plus, 2016 Boxster GTS, 2015 Macan S, 2015 V12 Vantage S - Pending Sale, 2013 911 C4S - Sold, 2012 V8 Vantage S - Sold, 2013 DB9 - Sold, 2011 997.2 Targa 4s - Sold, 2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Sold, 2013 981 Boxster S - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2010 E60 M5 - Sold, 2006 E46 M3 - Sold, 2011.5 E90 M3 - Sold, 2006 325i - Sold, 2004 Mazda6 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
^
Two very different cars!
Both are green cars , the two seater i8 is slower than the 4 door hatch. So, in what way the i8 will break our preconceived notion of what a green car is?
Great if you will, but not born electric... Born a hybrid !
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #28
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
The looks department is subjective, car rugs numbers vary widely and are notoriously wrong , both cars luxurious, stylish, fastalthough I think the Tesla is quicker based on actual 1/4 mile times at the dragstrip.
In that case there is no sense comparing 1/4 mile times, because the i8 has never been to a drag strip except as road-tested by Road & Track so far.

A proper comparison would be to put the two cars against each other in a proper drag race. Something that undoubtedly will occur sooner than later.

Quote:
The Tesla is greener, tell me how the i8 is going to change our preconceived notions of what a green car is?
Well my comment had nothing to do with the green-ness or notions of any car.

To take a stab at it,

I think that most people's preconceived notions of green cars are that they are boring, slow, boxy/ugly, generally Prius like things. At least that is what mine are. The Tesla is not slow, but it is (in my opinion of course) ugly and boring.

Not to mention, when I think of performance sports cars, I generally don't think of sedans. I think M3 (now M4), 911, SLS, Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, NSX, etc. To put it another way, when I think about green cars, I do NOT think about these performance cars or the type of performance they are capable of (not even close). The i8 does change that concept for me, here's an eco focused car with a 1.5L turbo and an electric motor that delivers nearly 911 level performance on the street. That's not a Prius!

Note: The M5, Panamera, and a few other smaller M/AMG/RS models being, in my book, the only exceptions. Yes, there are AMG S-Klasse models, but these are basically barges that are really fast but not sports cars. So I don't think of the Tesla Model S when I think of sports cars, just like I don't think about a 760Li or an S63 AMG.

So the i8 is closer to the M3 and 911 segment in terms of handling and performance - this is something that every review has unilaterally stated to be the case after driving the i8 in the canyons of Malibu, California last month.

Yet, it can hang with the econo cars when talking about efficiency, gas mileage, and the like. It can even go full electric mode for a short distance. Kind of cool. None of the other sports cars can do that at this time.

This is my view on how the i8 changes notions of what a green car is. It adds "sports car" to the green car world. I don't care if the Tesla can do 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds; it's still a boring, practical sedan, not a car that I can be excited about in that way.

There is also the complete production process, hydro powered plant in Moses Lake for CFRP production, lower energy consumption, major reuse of scraps/waste to build various CFRP components, new paint process that requires less energy, and so on.

Every bit of the i cars - from the production of the raw materials to the eventual re-purposing of the batteries for other applications once no longer suitable for automotive use - has been put together with "green" in mind. That is impressive to me.

This comes from someone who could not care less about all this green stuff in general - I drive an X6M after all - but the more I read and learn about it, the more impressed I am with what BMW has done with the i sub-brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
I thought other cars like the Tesla model S already did that. The quickest production electric car with 0 to 60 in 3.9 sec ,1/4 mile in 12.37sec at 110.8 mph.
Obviously Tesla didn't do it because the majority of people don't think of Tesla when they think of a "green car."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #30
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Dear Everyone, Stop Comparing the BMW i8 to the Tesla Model S
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #31
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
In that case there is no sense comparing 1/4 mile times, because the i8 has never been to a drag strip except as road-tested by Road & Track so far.

A proper comparison would be to put the two cars against each other in a proper drag race. Something that undoubtedly will occur sooner than later.

Well my comment had nothing to do with the green-ness or notions of any car.

To take a stab at it,

I think that most people's preconceived notions of green cars are that they are boring, slow, boxy/ugly, generally Prius like things. At least that is what mine are. The Tesla is not slow, but it is (in my opinion of course) ugly and boring.

Not to mention, when I think of performance sports cars, I generally don't think of sedans. I think M3 (now M4), 911, SLS, Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, NSX, etc. To put it another way, when I think about green cars, I do NOT think about these performance cars or the type of performance they are capable of (not even close). The i8 does change that concept for me, here's an eco focused car with a 1.5L turbo and an electric motor that delivers nearly 911 level performance on the street. That's not a Prius!

Note: The M5, Panamera, and a few other smaller M/AMG/RS models being, in my book, the only exceptions. Yes, there are AMG S-Klasse models, but these are basically barges that are really fast but not sports cars. So I don't think of the Tesla Model S when I think of sports cars, just like I don't think about a 760Li or an S63 AMG.

So the i8 is closer to the M3 and 911 segment in terms of handling and performance - this is something that every review has unilaterally stated to be the case after driving the i8 in the canyons of Malibu, California last month.

Yet, it can hang with the econo cars when talking about efficiency, gas mileage, and the like. It can even go full electric mode for a short distance. Kind of cool. None of the other sports cars can do that at this time.

This is my view on how the i8 changes notions of what a green car is. It adds "sports car" to the green car world. I don't care if the Tesla can do 0-60mph in 2.5 seconds; it's still a boring, practical sedan, not a car that I can be excited about in that way.

There is also the complete production process, hydro powered plant in Moses Lake for CFRP production, lower energy consumption, major reuse of scraps/waste to build various CFRP components, new paint process that requires less energy, and so on.

Every bit of the i cars - from the production of the raw materials to the eventual re-purposing of the batteries for other applications once no longer suitable for automotive use - has been put together with "green" in mind. That is impressive to me.

This comes from someone who could not care less about all this green stuff in general - I drive an X6M after all - but the more I read and learn about it, the more impressed I am with what BMW has done with the i sub-brand.
What exactly are you arguing? My point was Tesla changed our preconceived notions of a green car a few years ago, not the i8 now.

You know like you cant claim to change people's preconceived notions or revolutionize space exploration by being the second program on the moon and claiming your rockets are more stylish .
Besides the Tesla is a beautiful car, not overstyled just the right balance.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #32
ddk632
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What exactly are you arguing? My point was Tesla changed our preconceived notions of a green car a few years ago, not the i8 now.

You know like you cant claim to change people's preconceived notions or revolutionize space exploration by being the second program on the moon and claiming your rockets are more stylish .
Besides the Tesla is a beautiful car, not overstyled just the right balance.
I'm not arguing at all actually. Nor am I claiming anything. I answered your question, which did not involve your stated point above in it. We can agree to disagree and call it a day, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

Yea dack I saw them sat in the garage. Nice cars
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
tres
Major
United_States
Rep

More
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #35
tres
Major
United_States
Rep

They also had the m4 DTM safety car
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

The problem is the BMW's clueless marketing board. How is this car born electric?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #37
Jonsiu
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, F30 335i

amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #38
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
The problem is the BMW's clueless marketing board. How is this car born electric?
BMWi the brand philosophy is "Born Electric" just as BMW is "Sheer Driving Pleasure".
      06-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #39
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
It makes sense if their clean slate for all the cars begins with an electric motor. The rumors throughout the i8's development ranged from V8s, to diesels, to the eventual 3-cylinder.

And "Born Electric...then we added combustion" doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #40
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
BMWi the brand philosophy is "Born Electric" just as BMW is "Sheer Driving Pleasure".
Yes, that's clear as day. Just not the best slogan considering their only electric car is the i3 w/out the REX
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac
Quote:
It makes sense if their clean slate for all the cars begins with an electric motor. The rumors throughout the i8's development ranged from V8s, to diesels, to the eventual 3-cylinder.

And "Born Electric...then we added combustion" doesn't roll off the tongue as well.
Correct !
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #42
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I thought this would be either fully electric car or high performance hybrid. I guess it is neither one! Good job on f-ing up all the potential!! Most likely an excellent chassis with horrible powertrain. What's up with bicycle tires? So sad ...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #43
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Actual contact patch is a lot of what makes handling differences. A larger diameter wheel/tire that is narrow can have the same contact patch as a smaller/wider tire people associate with performance. And, while being narrower, it limits the air resistance, giving the vehicle longer range that a wider tire, while maintaining the same performance. A narrower tire also performs better in the wet conditions since it's easier to expel the surface water, and grip in snow and slush, where it tends to slice through, rather than floating.

So, assuming it will fit, yes, you could put wider tires on both the i3 and the i8, but if you actually understand the science behind it, you may not want to. You can't see the tires while you're driving it, either!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #44
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder how far tuners can push the little turbo? This will be a whole new tunning territory making sure more hp works with the electric power unit.

Wider track and more power!!! I won't mind having 10mpg less lol