BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-24-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
bmwfanatic123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 1 series

BMW i8 Roadster - Thoughts?

Just saw this vid on the new BMW i8 Roadster with some small changes from what we've seen with the previous pre-production models.

I personally love the colour, not sure whether it's worth the 160k pricetag. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

For a bit more money, I'd go McLaren 570S Spider. That car is totally uncompromised being a convertible, and IMHO the best at around this price range.

i8 Roadster is compromised by being based too closely on the coupe e.g. it is about a foot too long for one thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
orion1977
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 i8 & '14 328i

Do you want a track car (R8, 570) or a cruiser (i8, Vantage, S63 Coupe)? Will you even ever go to the track?

Imagine buying a truck and never using its bed.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Thanks for sharing. Although I am getting the 2019 coupe, it was still interesting to see some of the changes that are common to both the coupe and roadster from the last MY, 2017. I particularly like the new bi-color radial spoke wheels, which are the ones I'm getting on my coupe. I never was a big fan of the W and Turbine wheels which were the only ones available up until now on all US spec'ed cars. And though for various reasons the coupe better suits my needs, I am impressed with the retractable roof mechanism on the roadster. It reminds me somewhat of those automated parking garage systems, such as I understand is used at the Welt for delivering cars to the customers doing a ED. You've got to hand it to German engineering, pretty impressive.
Appreciate 0