BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-17-2024, 03:57 PM   #1
Layanxr
Rep
Drives: M340i

eed Advice: BMW iX xDrive50 vs BMW X5 45e

Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of buying a new car and I’m torn between the BMW iX xDrive50 and the BMW X5 45e, both from 2022 and offered at the same price. My main concern with the iX is its driving range. Given that I drive about 35,000 km per year, should this be a significant concern, especially since the real-world range can often be less than advertised? Additionally, I’m worried about the depreciation of both models. What are your thoughts on this?

I would really appreciate it if those who have experience with either of these models could share their insights. I’m interested in performance, comfort, daily usability, and particularly long-term costs such as maintenance and depreciation.

Any advice, especially from current owners of these models, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Also: do I need be worried about the battery health when the car has driven 50k ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 05:29 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Depends on how you put on those miles. Daily one-way commute of <50/60 km not a problem for either car - even 100 km. Weekly trips from Amsterdam to Groningen - or Cologne or Brussels - maybe a hybrid. Things to consider - you have a much better charging infrastructure there than the US - plus one for an EV. You have much more expensive fuel - minus one for a hybrid (the 45e can only run about 50+ km on electric, then needs a full charge at L2). On the other hand you have cooler weather longer in a season up by the North Sea - not good for electric range.

The answer very much depends on your individual use-case. Do you work (and have a charger at work)? Can you install an L2 charger in or near your home? Again do you put more than 400 or 500 km on the car frequently in one drive? Both cars are very nice as far as options, driving and handling, with the iX being faster and sportier. Any hybrid has more maintenance than an EV, and depreciation is likely to be similar (assuming new - used have already taken a major value dump). You just need to do your personal math.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1356.50
ricerboi845.00
      04-17-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I currently drive an iX50 and had a G05 45e before the iX. I have only driven the iX 5000 km so far and had about 45 0000 km in G05 45e. I cannot share any insight on cost of maintenance as both have been company cars.

I was worried about range and more so waiting times to even get to a charger when driving to the mountains during peak season. Have taken two trip and have had zero issues. Point is I think your experince of the range will be very much depending on the availability of chargers, not so much the range itself if the charger network is good. I get approx 380 km out of the iX in winter, 21” winter tires, rood box and 5 people with luggage. The main killer of range is speed, above 130 km/h there is a steep drop off.

I have taken the G05 on trips thru Europe and if your driving often is long deives, high speed on Autobahn, I would chosse the G05.

G05 feels a little more exclusive in the interior,
G05 comfort seats are better
G05 laser lights are better than iX lasers
G05 is easier to mount roof rack and perceived to guve less wind noise. I have Thule wing bars to both cars.
G05 is more flexible in the trunk, the ficed covers on the iX is not as easy to handle as a roll-up cover.
G05 has split tailgate which I like.

iX is roomier in the cabin (but not luggage)
iX HK sound is better than G05 HK
iX HUD is better
iX heating is instant with heating package
iX is even more silent than already silent G05
iX feels more planted on the road (air suspension in both)
IX power is great

What would I choose today? I would probably choose the G05 as it offers basically everything and has less limitations vs the iX. Both are great cars.
Appreciate 3
ricerboi845.00
KRS_SN13549.00
      04-17-2024, 09:51 PM   #4
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbimmer View Post
I currently drive an iX50 and had a G05 45e before the iX. I have only driven the iX 5000 km so far and had about 45 0000 km in G05 45e. I cannot share any insight on cost of maintenance as both have been company cars.

I was worried about range and more so waiting times to even get to a charger when driving to the mountains during peak season. Have taken two trip and have had zero issues. Point is I think your experince of the range will be very much depending on the availability of chargers, not so much the range itself if the charger network is good. I get approx 380 km out of the iX in winter, 21” winter tires, rood box and 5 people with luggage. The main killer of range is speed, above 130 km/h there is a steep drop off.

I have taken the G05 on trips thru Europe and if your driving often is long deives, high speed on Autobahn, I would chosse the G05.

G05 feels a little more exclusive in the interior,
G05 comfort seats are better
G05 laser lights are better than iX lasers
G05 is easier to mount roof rack and perceived to guve less wind noise. I have Thule wing bars to both cars.
G05 is more flexible in the trunk, the ficed covers on the iX is not as easy to handle as a roll-up cover.
G05 has split tailgate which I like.

iX is roomier in the cabin (but not luggage)
iX HK sound is better than G05 HK
iX HUD is better
iX heating is instant with heating package
iX is even more silent than already silent G05
iX feels more planted on the road (air suspension in both)
IX power is great

What would I choose today? I would probably choose the G05 as it offers basically everything and has less limitations vs the iX. Both are great cars.
Also, don't forget that X4 45e has iDrive 7 and older HUD as opposed to iDrive 8/8.5 (and all the consequences that come with it like less buttons) and a newer better HUD in the iX.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:16 AM   #5
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40 (Late 2022)

Layanxr If you don't do much driving at night, your roads' maximum speeds are 100km per hour which is a great speed for extending range on an EV....unless you stray into Germany, of course.

Also, you don't have many hills.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 01:51 AM   #6
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by javapro View Post
Also, don't forget that X4 45e has iDrive 7 and older HUD as opposed to iDrive 8/8.5 (and all the consequences that come with it like less buttons) and a newer better HUD in the iX.
Yes, mentioned that iX has a better HUD, but on the flip side the steering wheel controls on the iX is worse. On the G05 pre-LCI you could adjust the DAP distance to the car in front, on the iX it is in the meny in the touchscreen.

I prefer physical buttons, so iD 8/8.5 is not a major upgrade to me. I also miss the lever for the air suspension which the G05 has.

The kids love the back seat of the iX and it is very roomy and comfy with the wrap around style and there is no tunnel in the middle of the car.

If you get a car with panoramic roof, the G05 one you can open and the iX is fixed if that is important to you.

Again, both are great cars and anyone can be lucky to have anyone of them. As stated above I would probably choose G05 as it is an even better one-trick pony than iX. The one thing that tips the scale for me is that I occassionally take a 1 600 km roadtrip to Germany and then a PHEV is a slightly better option still. The best option for that type of driving is the G05 30d, which I had prior to the 45e. Better range, more trunk space, lighter.

Maybe it can be summarized as:
For everyday driving I would choose iX given I have a charger at home, i.e. driving to work, grocery runs, activities and weekend trips in the 200+ km range.

If you do go on many long road trips including higher speeds, then G05.

It all depends in your needs, driving behaviour, charging infrastructure etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:55 AM   #7
Layanxr
Rep

- 21CF
- iX xDrive50
- A90
- Sophisto Grey Brilliant Effect Metallic
- SCHA
- Interior Design Suite Amido
- 0Z22
- Model Year 2022
- 0ZH8
- High Executive
- 0ZT6
- BMW Personal CoPilot Pack
- 0ZUN
- Without Service Inclusive
- 01LH
- 21 inch Aerodynamic (Styling 1011) in Bicolor Gunmetal Grey
- EU AG Internal
- Heated Steering Wheel Rim
- 02PA
- Wheel Lock Bolts
- 02VB
- Tire Pressure Display System
- 02VH
- Integral Active Steering
- 02VR
- Adaptive Chassis with Air Suspension on Front and Rear Axles
- Delivery without model designation
- Comfort Access
- Shadow Line
- Sky Lounge Panoramic Glass Roof
- Divider Net between Trunk and Rear Seats
- Extra Tinted Glass in Rear Door Windows and Rear Window
- Warning Triangle and First Aid Kit
- 048Z
- Elimination of Lumbar Support / Width Adjustment Passenger Seat
- Electrically Heated Front Seats
- 04AA
- Anthracite Headlining
- 04FM
- (not specified)
- 04NB
- 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- 04U9
- Acoustic Warning for Pedestrians
- 04V1
- BMW IconicSounds Electric
- Kilometer Speedometer
- 05AC
- High-beam Assistant
- 05AQ
- Active Guard Plus
- 05AU
- Driving Assistant Professional
- 05AV
- Active Guard: Collision Warning with City Braking Function
- 05DN
- Parking Assistant Plus
- DAB Tuner
- Harman Kardon HiFi System
- 06AE
- TeleServices
- 06AF
- Intelligent Emergency Call
- 06AK
- ConnectedDrive Services
- 06C4
- BMW Connected Pack Professional
- 06NX
- Wireless Charging Station
- 06U3
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional
- 06U7
- BMW Natural Interaction
- 07CG
- Extended Warranty - 3 Years
- Dutch Language Version
- Dutch Owner's Manual
- 08R9
- Refrigerant
- 08S2
- Alarm Signal (Internal)
- 08S3
- Automatic Locking During Driving (Internal)
- 08TF
- Active Pedestrian Protection
- 09AA
- Protective Transport Foil

Do I missing something important ? This are options what are included in the IX, the car has driven 60k is that not to much ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:59 AM   #8
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

What price is being asked for it and what’s the original registration date?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:18 AM   #9
Layanxr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono987654321 View Post
What price is being asked for it and what’s the original registration date?
80k and 2022/10
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:39 AM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layanxr View Post
Hello everyone,

I’m in the process of buying a new car and I’m torn between the BMW iX xDrive50 and the BMW X5 45e, both from 2022 and offered at the same price. My main concern with the iX is its driving range. Given that I drive about 35,000 km per year, should this be a significant concern, especially since the real-world range can often be less than advertised? Additionally, I’m worried about the depreciation of both models. What are your thoughts on this?

I would really appreciate it if those who have experience with either of these models could share their insights. I’m interested in performance, comfort, daily usability, and particularly long-term costs such as maintenance and depreciation.

Any advice, especially from current owners of these models, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Also: do I need be worried about the battery health when the car has driven 50k ?
if you fit the ideal EV owner pattern, i.e. can charge at home, 80% battery is more than enough for daily needs even in the coldest weather you get, don't regularly cannonball long drives, and don't need the extra cargo space of the X5 (or don't absolutely need some other feature that the iX doesn't offer)then get the EV. It's great.

As for your 1600 km trip to Germany, how do you do this drive in your gas car? How often? How much extra time will it take you in a iX (i.e. check using ABRP for an estimate) vs now? Some people will split that drive into 2 days, never driving more than 3-4 hours at a time, some will stop once or twice for gas and a quick pee, and then there is everything in between. What I personally find is that infrequent 5-6 hour trips are not very affected by having to stop to charge because you are more likely to stop anyway to eat. But when you do a 5-6 hour drive regularly, you will tend to try and not even stop if possible, thus doing it in an EV will slow you down. Once you start looking at 12+ hour drives, even when you do them unfrequently, many people will still try and do relatively long stretched between stops. The EV will dictate a more regular stop which may or may not be an issue for you.

In any case, both are going to be good choices. If you are in doubt, stick with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:01 AM   #11
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Done a couple of long trips through Germany in my iX. No range issues, no issues charging either.

That said, in the Moselle area, the main chargers are all 11kWh AC chargers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:15 AM   #12
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Quote:
Hello everyone,

For the iX I would ask the seller to pull its CarData report. You have to log into the car's MyGarage BMW account, click on the vehicle, and then click on the CarData tab above. That report will give you all sorts of details about the vehicle, including battery capacity. Back in January, at least, my report contained a battery health measure on a scale of 200.

As to the rest, your biggest savings between the two cars will be in fuel costs. I don't know the cost of gasoline and electricity in your country so will use the costs where I live in the US.

Assumptions about X5 45e:

Gas tank volume: 18.2 gal
Average MPG: 25
Miles driven: 22,000
Cost of gasoline: $4.15/gal

Assumptions about iX:

Rated consumption: 3 mi/kWh
Cost of electricity: ˘7/kWh

The cost for me to drive 22,000 miles in an iX at EPA rated range is $513 versus $3,652 in the X5 45e if my assumptions are in the ballpark. I've also seen X5 45e consumption rated as high as 31 MPG. In that case the cost to fuel an X5 45e over 22,000 miles would be $2,945.

Either way, the average cost of fueling the X5 over 3 years will be about $10k while the iX comes in at just over $1,500. That's $8,500 saved in fuel over 3 years and that's with our relatively low gas prices here in the US and the low electricity rates where I live. Your costs will, of course, be different so just substitute your numbers to see how it pencils out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:08 AM   #13
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoTesla View Post
For the iX I would ask the seller to pull its CarData report. You have to log into the car's MyGarage BMW account, click on the vehicle, and then click on the CarData tab above. That report will give you all sorts of details about the vehicle, including battery capacity. Back in January, at least, my report contained a battery health measure on a scale of 200.

As to the rest, your biggest savings between the two cars will be in fuel costs. I don't know the cost of gasoline and electricity in your country so will use the costs where I live in the US.

Assumptions about X5 45e:

Gas tank volume: 18.2 gal
Average MPG: 25
Cost of gasoline: $4.15/gal

Assumptions about iX:

Rated consumption: 3 mi/kWh
Cost of electricity: ˘7/kWh

The cost for me to drive 22,000 miles in an iX at EPA rated range is $513 versus $3,652 in the X5 45e if my assumptions are in the ballpark. I've also seen X5 45e consumption rated as high as 31 MPG. In that case the cost to fuel an X5 45e over 22,000 miles would be $2,945.

Either way, the average cost of fueling the X5 over 3 years will be about $10k while the iX comes in at just over $1,500. That's $8,500 saved in fuel over 3 years and that's with our relatively low gas prices here in the US and the low electricity rates where I live. Your costs will, of course, be different so just substitute your numbers to see how it pencils out.
Indeed a big cost difference in favor of the IX. The only fly in the ointment might be future DC charging costs once free EA charging expires (in the US). My local EA is charging .64 per kWh, nearly five times what I pay for home charging. And I thought restaurant mark up on wine was high…. At .64 per kWh my gas guzzler Wrangler is cheaper to drive 😳😳
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:16 AM   #14
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Before ordering my IX i was also in doubt between the X5 50e and IX M60.
It all comes down to your situation. If you do not have too many long road trips (> 400 km) and you have the posibility of charging at home and/or at work i would advise the IX.

If however you can either not charge at home/work and/or you have a lot of longer road trips i would tend to the X5 Hybrid.

In my use case i drive around 25000 km/year and i only take longer road trips 2 - 3 times a year, and i can charge at home and at work. So i went for the IX.

Pro's for the IX (in my use case) :
- Not having to charge the car every day (assuming you want to drive electic as much as possible). I need to charge my IX 1 - 2 times a week. If i would have a X5 i would need to charge it daily.
- Maintenance cost much lower then X5 Hybrid
- Electricity consumption much (30%) lower then X5 Hybrid (when comparing both cars electricity consumption when driving electical)
- More modern car
- No road tax (for now)

Con's for the IX :
- Needing to charge the car on longer road trips (a couple of times a year)
- Uncertainty about residual value : especially with the LCI model coming next year with the IX40 being replaced by the IX45 with around 400 HP and a range that is nearly that of the current IX50, i can see the residual value of the IX going down a lot. Because : why would someone buy a 2 year old IX 50 when you can get a brand new IX 45 at around the same cost. So the residuals will likely get a big hit from this. I myself would have bought a IX45 with about the range of the IX50 if i had been available. I only bought a IX M60 because the IX40 did not have enough range for me, and a IX50 with many options would have cost almost the same as the IX M60. So that is why i bought a M60. But had the IX45 been available at about 25000 lower cost i would have bought that one, because 400 HP is more than enough......
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13549.00
      04-18-2024, 12:19 PM   #15
jono987654321
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not sure MyGarage exists anywhere outside the US. The clue may be contained in the URL: mygarage.bmwusa.com...though it would be a good idea to get the information somehow on a car of this age & mileage.

I wonder what those of us not in the US can use to obtain the same info..?

Also, the OP is in the Netherlands, so no EA charging there either.

Unleaded petrol/gas in the Netherlands would work out at about $11 for each of your little US liquid gallons. Diesel around 10% less.

I think there's a €2,000 subsidy for purchasing or leasing a used EV at the moment in NL.

Last time I was there, AC or DC public charging was around €0.50-€0.65 per kWh (which isn't far off $0.53-$0.69)

I don't know if there are any cheap(er) overnight domestic AC rates available, nor what the typical cost would be to charge at home.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      04-18-2024, 03:40 PM   #16
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
Indeed a big cost difference in favor of the IX. The only fly in the ointment might be future DC charging costs once free EA charging expires (in the US). My local EA is charging .64 per kWh, nearly five times what I pay for home charging. And I thought restaurant mark up on wine was high…. At .64 per kWh my gas guzzler Wrangler is cheaper to drive ����
I charge at home for 90%-95% of my trips. Paying to charge for the occasional road trip here and there isn't going to be a game changer compared to the tremendous savings (for me). I can see how someone else's analysis may result in a different conclusion and purchase decision. EVs make a lot of sense if the use case fits.
Appreciate 1
Kennethjk139.00
      04-18-2024, 05:01 PM   #17
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
- Uncertainty about residual value : especially with the LCI model coming next year with the IX40 being replaced by the IX45 with around 400 HP and a range that is nearly that of the current IX50, i can see the residual value of the IX going down a lot. Because : why would someone buy a 2 year old IX 50 when you can get a brand new IX 45 at around the same cost. So the residuals will likely get a big hit from this. I myself would have bought a IX45 with about the range of the IX50 if i had been available.

Source of info?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:25 PM   #18
Layanxr
Rep

Quote:
- 21CF
- iX xDrive50
- A90
- Sophisto Grey Brilliant Effect Metallic
- SCHA
- Interior Design Suite Amido
- 0Z22
- Model Year 2022
- 0ZH8
- High Executive
- 0ZT6
- BMW Personal CoPilot Pack
- 0ZUN
- Without Service Inclusive
- 01LH
- 21 inch Aerodynamic (Styling 1011) in Bicolor Gunmetal Grey
- EU AG Internal
- Heated Steering Wheel Rim
- 02PA
- Wheel Lock Bolts
- 02VB
- Tire Pressure Display System
- 02VH
- Integral Active Steering
- 02VR
- Adaptive Chassis with Air Suspension on Front and Rear Axles
- Delivery without model designation
- Comfort Access
- Shadow Line
- Sky Lounge Panoramic Glass Roof
- Divider Net between Trunk and Rear Seats
- Extra Tinted Glass in Rear Door Windows and Rear Window
- Warning Triangle and First Aid Kit
- 048Z
- Elimination of Lumbar Support / Width Adjustment Passenger Seat
- Electrically Heated Front Seats
- 04AA
- Anthracite Headlining
- 04FM
- (not specified)
- 04NB
- 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- 04U9
- Acoustic Warning for Pedestrians
- 04V1
- BMW IconicSounds Electric
- Kilometer Speedometer
- 05AC
- High-beam Assistant
- 05AQ
- Active Guard Plus
- 05AU
- Driving Assistant Professional
- 05AV
- Active Guard: Collision Warning with City Braking Function
- 05DN
- Parking Assistant Plus
- DAB Tuner
- Harman Kardon HiFi System
- 06AE
- TeleServices
- 06AF
- Intelligent Emergency Call
- 06AK
- ConnectedDrive Services
- 06C4
- BMW Connected Pack Professional
- 06NX
- Wireless Charging Station
- 06U3
- BMW Live Cockpit Professional
- 06U7
- BMW Natural Interaction
- 07CG
- Extended Warranty - 3 Years
- Dutch Language Version
- Dutch Owner's Manual
- 08R9
- Refrigerant
- 08S2
- Alarm Signal (Internal)
- 08S3
- Automatic Locking During Driving (Internal)
- 08TF
- Active Pedestrian Protection
- 09AA
- Protective Transport Foil

Do I missing something important ? This are options what are included in the IX, the car has driven 60k is that not to much ?
Is this good for my price ? 80k and 60.000km ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:19 PM   #19
darylp310
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Source of info?
No one knows the pricing yet, but the iX LCI refresh is definitely coming in mid 2025:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/03/22/b...2025-facelift/
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13549.00
      04-18-2024, 06:53 PM   #20
Windshieldfarmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

Quote:
I charge at home for 90%-95% of my trips. Paying to charge for the occasional road trip here and there isn't going to be a game changer compared to the tremendous savings (for me). I can see how someone else's analysis may result in a different conclusion and purchase decision. EVs make a lot of sense if the use case fits.
I agree…for me my use case is local commuting and travel to family members who live 200 miles away with 240v NEMA 14-50 plugs readily available in their garages. If I depended solely on DCFCs I suspect my analysis would be vastly different.

I am wondering if EA is jacking up prices to collect more dollars from EV manufacturers offering the two years of free charging…milking the gravy train while they can. I suspect that will go away in a few years and price competition might come into the charging market. Who knows..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:40 AM   #21
NomoTesla
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windshieldfarmer View Post
I agree…for me my use case is local commuting and travel to family members who live 200 miles away with 240v NEMA 14-50 plugs readily available in their garages. If I depended solely on DCFCs I suspect my analysis would be vastly different.

I am wondering if EA is jacking up prices to collect more dollars from EV manufacturers offering the two years of free charging…milking the gravy train while they can. I suspect that will go away in a few years and price competition might come into the charging market. Who knows..
For DCFC rates to drop we need more competition. I don't see demand dropping, only increasing with time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:47 AM   #22
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
For DCFC rates to drop we need more competition. I don't see demand dropping, only increasing with time.
and in places like here in Quebec/Canada where a good chunk of the gas price is taxes, the governments will want to find ways to tax us for that loss in tax revenue so don't be surprised if part of their wonderful solution is to eventually add more taxes onto the DCFC price.
Appreciate 0