BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #23
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Annoying that your car is in the garage for so long....

...but imagine if your i8 is in the garage for a week and you get a text from a neighbour saying they saw it driving around with someone else behind the wheel & you then track it to discover a technician has taken it home 30 miles away for the night for "an extended test drive"?

Well, that just happened to me today

I will give the (official) BMW i dealership a chance to explain themselves... otherwise I will share the full sorry tale, along with their name.
That happened to my M5 when I had it in a body shop for some repairs. I took it in with a completely full tank (20 gallons) and when I picked it up it was down to 3/4 with 28 more miles on the odometer. I drove directly to local Chevron 1/2 mile way and it took 5 gallons - 5 gallons in 28 miles! I was averaging 18 mpg and well over 20 on the freeway. Their story was that they had to take it to the dealer (which was all by freeway by the way) to reset something. I said that it was impossible to burn that much gas in so few miles without hot rodding the hell out of it. They claimed that the tech must have let it sit idling. Yeah right. Why? I was furious but there wasn’t much I could do. I still get pissed when I think about it.

On the other hand when I got my i8 they said they had to put 40 miles on the car after resetting the codes. I’m sure it was legit because my salesman did the driving and he complained about being taken off the sales floor to do it. Maybe they really did drive your car for a good reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #24
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

That's appalling, and I know how you feel. Pity the M5 was not able to report on how & where it was driven etc.

I know they had a good reason i.e. test drive. I don't have an issue with that. My problem with them is that the technician took my i8 home with him for the night.

The i8 however logged every single metre of how it was driven, and also how hard it was driven. It was driven gently btw.

Anyway, I am in discussion with them over the incident so I won't say much more for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #25
buddenfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: i8

Allegedly they finally received the wiring harness on Friday. Interesting how 5-10 business days has turned into a 5th week now.

Today my service adviser informed me that they are still working on it and it takes 4-5 days for them to fire the car. This seems a bit ridiculous.

I need 30 days to threaten them with lemon laws? The problem is I have close to 28k miles on the car but this is the 2nd time in a year and a half that I got this signal for drivetrain malfunction and regenerative breaking. I really want to threaten them with legal action but I doubt I have any grounds to do so.

I am just annoyed that I am paying $1,460 a month for an i8 and have been driving a 3 series since February 28. What do I do if they refuse downtime compensation?
Appreciate 0