BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

12-01-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
MercuryMog
England
Rep
Drives: MY16 BMW i8

i8 - Doors of Pleasure or Pain?!

I need some help from i8 owners but first a little background information:

I have a deposit on an i8, although it won't be produced until next year (probably Q2); therefore, I still can cancel it. It won't be my only car and I do have a practical 4-door vehicle to use, so I'm not expecting the i8 to be a multi-purpose tool.

With that said, I've had an i8 on loan for 24-hours and can't get past the concern that the doors, namely the way they open, could prove to be a major inconvenience in real-world use. Whilst I have my own spot at the office, what happens if I need to park in a normal car park? What happens when the spaces are standard European size (read small!)? Will I end up having to do a 'Dukes of Hazzard' and enter through the window?

So, over to the owners - have any of you had a issue with not being able to find a suitable space? Are you always letting your passenger out before parking? Have you come back to your car and thought 'GREAT! I can't get into my car now!' because the person beside you has parked close?

I've had a nice selection of performance cars in the past but none have had funky doors and the ark of the door opening does seem to be a limiting factor in our age of ever decreasing car spaces.

I'm really interested in hearing owners real-life experiences. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

Not really an issue since the doors open up. Space on the sides not an issue. Real issue is that you must be a semi contortionist to enter and exit the car! People enjoy watching us get in and out of the car! But with time you learn the best/optimal way. I have had mine since mid October and only bumped my head once getting in last week!!!!!

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
MercuryMog
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
Not really an issue since the doors open up. Space on the sides not an issue.
Hi J, I'm concerned that this is a US perspective and related to the fact that your car spaces are more generous.

The doors do open up but it is the arc that the doors take (and how far they swing outward on the upward arc) that concerns me the most.

During my 24-hour loan, I didn't get stuck but I was concious of where I was parking and selective about where I went.

In terms of the door sill, it is wide but I quickly worked out at graceful entrance and egress technique and even at 6'3", I didn't find it an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

Having driven in Europe and the US, I understand your problem. Clearly the car parks spaces are smaller. And, the i8 is a wide car, before you have the potential issue with the doors.

So here's my real world experience:

- The i8 doors don't take up any more room than a fully opened regular door. But, you can get out of a half opened regular door. Not so on the i8.
- The most likely obstacle to opening the door will be the mirror on the car next to you. Reaching out the window to fold in the mirror of the car next to you is not easy.
- I simply avoid any car park where there is a risk of being parked between 2 cars. I look for end spots or wide open spaces. Not really the norm in Europe, especially in cramped train station car parks!

Bottom line, if you know that you might experience tight quarters, take the other car!

Hope this helps,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
MercuryMog
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Having driven in Europe and the US, I understand your problem. Clearly the car parks spaces are smaller. And, the i8 is a wide car, before you have the potential issue with the doors.

So here's my real world experience:

- The i8 doors don't take up any more room than a fully opened regular door. But, you can get out of a half opened regular door. Not so on the i8.
- The most likely obstacle to opening the door will be the mirror on the car next to you. Reaching out the window to fold in the mirror of the car next to you is not easy.
- I simply avoid any car park where there is a risk of being parked between 2 cars. I look for end spots or wide open spaces. Not really the norm in Europe, especially in cramped train station car parks!

Bottom line, if you know that you might experience tight quarters, take the other car!

Hope this helps,
Mike
Mike, it does help - thank you.

I've spent a lot of time in North America, so am used to the road/parking there. Although Europe isn't horrendous when it comes to parking, we do generally have smaller spaces.

As you've accessed, it isn't that the doors actually take up more space when extended, it is simply that you cannot really exit unless they are fully open. The point about hitting mirrors is also relevant because that is exactly what happens even when you have a standard space.

As for your 'bottom line', I'd agree; however, there is always that time when you get caught out and have to go somewhere unexpected. This is the same reason why I don't run a 2-seater as a daily driver; however, the i8 will be a fair weather DD, so I'm trying to get a real world view on whether owners have found it compromised.

Please keep the feedback coming chaps
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
Actually, opening the i8 door completely takes less clearence than open a conventional door of, say, M4. And you can easily check if the bottom of your door hits mirror of the parallel car. Swing movement is easy to control.

You can get out of i8 pretty easy even with semi-open door, but getting inside is harder. It depends your personal habitus, whether you are tall and thin like me. For Bud Spencer a difficult task indeed.

As a conclusion, i8 work everywhere without problem. Doors really do not play a role in parking problems - if you go to a cramped park hall, you get into problems anyway with any car.
      12-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I tend to park near the back away from everyone anyway. And the few times I have parked in "normal" US wide spaces, people actively avoid parking next to it or at the very least, park as far over in the space as possible away from the car. I've seen people begin to pull into a space beside the i8 and second guess it, parking a little further away. Unlike some exotics and supercars that the average person may not even take a second look at, park beside and throw their door open, the i8 is outlandish enough that any layperson knows what's up.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

The potential for door swing interference has always been a concern of mine as well. What would you say is the minimum opening necessary (as measured in inches from the side of the car) to be able to get in and out?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

50cm each side
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsi View Post
50cm each side
That's more than I would have guessed given that the full open width is 56 cm (22 inches).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #11
MercuryMog
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I've seen people begin to pull into a space beside the i8 and second guess it, parking a little further away. Unlike some exotics and supercars that the average person may not even take a second look at, park beside and throw their door open, the i8 is outlandish enough that any layperson knows what's up.
You must live in the land of non-jealous people

Whilst there are plenty of decent people in this world, there are also those who suffer from the green-eyed monster and in my automotive experience, there is only one sports car that I have never had an adverse public (read: other road users, pedestrians, etc) reaction to AND that car didn't have a: BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Bentley, Rolls, Audi or Mercedes badge attached to it.

I'd love to believe that all people would be respectful of other people's property but experience tells me that even if no malice is meant, carelessness leads to door-dings.

Back on topic, I'm quite sure my concerns are valid; however, I'm almost equally convinced that they upsides of the i8 counter this concern.

Cheers for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #12
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

what was that car then?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #13
0beron3sq
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster 6MT

I'm too lazy to post pictures but I was given a white one last month, currently still at the dealership as I'll wait 4 final year production to buy (congrats btw!). The door opens with the same amount of space as a half opened standard car door (i.e. 3 series not 6GS), despite needing a good amount of space overhead it seemed.
Seeing mixed messages on these so I'll drop the chase:

-the only thing you need to worry about is possible lower back strain if your legs are short of if you're taller than say 6'.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
My nightmare is parking the car and coming back a while later and finding that someone has parked real close to the driver's door so that it cannot be opened all the way. If so, there will be a wait until the careless driver returns.

Hasn't happened yet. But I expect it will. People in Southern California are pretty oblivious to their neighbors. And to such things as manners.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
DoctaM3
500+ HP Club
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8; 2023 BMW M4 CSL

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2008 Audi S6 V10  [0.00]
2014 BMW i8  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
Driven the car for 3 months now and its not been a problem. If you have problems opening this door you would have the same problem (give or take) with a conventional door.
Appreciate 0