10-28-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
andrewtrxnn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW I8

BMW i8 Heating Issues

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2019 BMW i8 Coupe

About 22,000 miles on the dash. I called in BMW to see if it’s under warranty and it isn’t. I ran into the problem when i’m comfort or eco pro, it doesn’t heat up right away. Maybe it needs time to warm up the engine, when driving in sport it heats up fine. and when driving in sport and flipping it back to comfort it’ll continue heating, so i read that it might be the auxiliary heating since in electric mode that’s the only heating source.

Is this covered under warranty? I tried calling in since i know there’s other warranties for example drive train, emissions, etc.

They simply did not know since they didn’t have it in there system as i was told.

Does anyone know if it’s covered under warranty? or if there could be another relating problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
M4_ZMT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 i3S, '01 325i

First of all congratulations on your new i8 Coupe! Amazing car and there will never be another like it.

BMW does not have a "powertrain" warranty per se, if you don't have an ESC or CPO after the 4/50k. There are certain parts that may carry extended warr. on but that is on a VIN by VIN basis... That being said, however, some emissions components are covered if they fall under CA federal emissions guidelines. Your local dealer would have to diagnose the vehicle and you would be responsible for a diagnosis fee if you choose not to do the work, if it is covered it gets waived, or if you pay for a repair it goes away. That is my experience with BMW dealers. If something is under emissions warr. they will still have you auth. diagnosis. It kind of sounds more related to HVAC system but would be worth it to get it checked as I could very well be wrong since the e-drive is tied into so many things. And I would assume since the i8 is a plug-in, that it would get additional coverage like most PHEV's if they do find a failed part that is covered.

Good luck and let us know!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
When you select eco pro mode the battery management system reduces the power to the heating system to conserve energy. Thus….less heat.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 11:39 PM   #4
clallo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW I8, Alfa Romeo 4c LE

Auxiliary Electric Heater

Hello,

While I now have a 2019 Crystal White Coupe, my previous i8 was a low mile Sophisto Grey 2017.

All i8s have an auxiliary electric heater that provides cabin heat when the ICE motor isn't running. My 2017's auxiliary heater was bad and I didn't realize it until colder weather set it. It was replaced under warranty.

To test your auxiliary heater, with the car parked, just turn it on — meaning start the car like it is ready to drive off don't put it in sport mode or press the throttle which would start the ICE motor — and crank up the heat. If you start getting hot air without the ICE motor running, then your electric heat is working. If it never gets hot, then that's your culprit.

To me, the electric heat is one of the nicest features of the i8. You can pre-condition the cabin on freezing mornings and climb in to a nice toasty cabin. Additionally, even if you don't pre-condition, setting off on cold mornings, you have near instant heat available. Unlike traditional cars where you have to wait for the ICE to warm everything up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 04:00 AM   #5
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Anyone knows, where exactly this thing is hiding? Can’t find it under the front bonnet.

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=64&bt=64_1961
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:05 AM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

And the heated seats are great!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 01:40 PM   #7
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Anyone knows, where exactly this thing is hiding? Can’t find it under the front bonnet.

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=64&bt=64_1961
it's under the 12v battery housing.....
Appreciate 1
Nachbar8024.00
      01-15-2024, 05:57 AM   #8
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Got an offer: Heater $800, Labour $650
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 03:56 PM   #9
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

i had to unlock the electric heater after replacing it before it started working, apparently the heater is locked out when it gets faulty for protection and/or safety reasons- i found this under the special options of my Launch tester....
Appreciate 0