Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-19-2024, 04:54 AM   #45
Flasher
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

well i just finished my i8 hv battery upgrade project after crawling under my car for 2,5 day.....
I will never ever do this again without using a decent lift but it works in the end - i now have a 2015 i8 with modified 34 Ah cell packs from a 2022 SP41 battery pack from a damaged BMW 745e.
I'ts not a simple swap, this involves making 6 new T- wiring looms because the newer battery packs use only one CSC and only 3 NTC's per cell pack instead of 2 CSC's and 6 NTC's.
the dimensions of the packs are the same, the new packs arer around 0,9 kg heavier because of their higher energy density.....
I reset some self-learning adaptation values and will have to see on a longer term how this translates in a higher mileage but al least the packs are 6,5 years younger so that's already worth the money without a doubt....
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2024, 05:43 AM   #46
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
well i just finished my i8 hv battery upgrade project after crawling under my car for 2,5 day.....
I will never ever do this again without using a decent lift but it works in the end - i now have a 2015 i8 with modified 34 Ah cell packs from a 2022 SP41 battery pack from a damaged BMW 745e.
I'ts not a simple swap, this involves making 6 new T- wiring looms because the newer battery packs use only one CSC and only 3 NTC's per cell pack instead of 2 CSC's and 6 NTC's.
the dimensions of the packs are the same, the new packs arer around 0,9 kg heavier because of their higher energy density.....
I reset some self-learning adaptation values and will have to see on a longer term how this translates in a higher mileage but al least the packs are 6,5 years younger so that's already worth the money without a doubt....
Wow, great work! How much did it all cost for the batteries alone?
Any update on range increase? You should get a good 50% extra, 24-30 miles ish total (in comfort, not e-drive).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:18 AM   #47
Flasher
Rep

the 2022 BMW 745e SP41 34 Ah GEN4 battery pack has cost me 1600 euro, with all extra costs like extra 20Ah for research purposes, 67V charger, cables, connectors, extra lifting jack , airco drain and refill etc. i ended up around 2600 euro which is ok for me !
i have not yet driven enough to see how my car adapts the mileage to to new battery capacity - i could reset a couple of learned values but unfortunately there is no clear option to enter a new capacity value, i think this is embedded in the software of the SME and/or EME unit which is different for the older and LCI version of the i8 ....
i found a command for resetting the single cell capacities and setting a new capacity per cell pack but this is done in percentage so i wonder what happens if i reset the cell capacities and set a new 100% capacity for all cell packs - i do not want to fuck up my work by disturbing the software so i will first take some time to see if the other resets will prolong and adapt the mileage....
I already noticed there was a small adaptation in the hidden menu where the net capacity adjusted from 5.2 Ah to 5.7 Ah but i guess this adaptation will continue within the set margins of the software...
just the 6-7 years younger age of the cell packs is already worth the money but i hope my work will translate in a substantial higher mileage in the end...
i will post my findings after having driven for a longer period to see how it develops !
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 11:26 AM   #48
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
the 2022 BMW 745e SP41 34 Ah GEN4 battery pack has cost me 1600 euro, with all extra costs like extra 20Ah for research purposes, 67V charger, cables, connectors, extra lifting jack , airco drain and refill etc. i ended up around 2600 euro which is ok for me !
i have not yet driven enough to see how my car adapts the mileage to to new battery capacity - i could reset a couple of learned values but unfortunately there is no clear option to enter a new capacity value, i think this is embedded in the software of the SME and/or EME unit which is different for the older and LCI version of the i8 ....
i found a command for resetting the single cell capacities and setting a new capacity per cell pack but this is done in percentage so i wonder what happens if i reset the cell capacities and set a new 100% capacity for all cell packs - i do not want to fuck up my work by disturbing the software so i will first take some time to see if the other resets will prolong and adapt the mileage....
I already noticed there was a small adaptation in the hidden menu where the net capacity adjusted from 5.2 Ah to 5.7 Ah but i guess this adaptation will continue within the set margins of the software...
just the 6-7 years younger age of the cell packs is already worth the money but i hope my work will translate in a substantial higher mileage in the end...
i will post my findings after having driven for a longer period to see how it develops !
Hello sire!

Just load the HV battery to 100% and drive the car with "pure EV mode" AND Eco Pro. Anything above ... 35-40km means the car really uses the bigger battery capacity. Rudimentary rule of thumb:

Pre LCI = 25-30km of range (Eco Pro + sensible country roads driving with speeds around 80 kph and temp around 15-20 C).

LCI = 45-50km of range with similar matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:57 PM   #49
Flasher
Rep

thank you for your suggestions , , i have never used ECO Pro since i have the car so i am not used to that kind of range...
Till now i always charged in Sport mode ( very uneconomical fuel consumption of course , around 6 km/L during charging) and used the generated energy in full EV mode till empty, then charge again in Sport mode and so on....my average fuel + charge range was around 11-12 km ( short distances, lots of stops and acceleration) - rare highway use average was around 14 km in normal hybrid mode.
So i have to test what figures i can get using the EcoPro mode - i think i will first test in my regular pattern and see if i notice substantial differences and adapting values , after that i can check what difference the Eco pro mode makes but i never bought the car to drive as economical as possible, i love it when it accelerates like hell when overtaking slow vehicles....
the car was also tuned to 427 HP and 709 Nm so that will not contribute to economical figures too....
It will take some time before i have a clear picture of the before/after difference but i did not regret the upgrade because only the much younger cell packs (2022) are already worth the money and effort !
Will be continued.....
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 04:43 AM   #50
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep

Here's a vid how to remove & replace the i8 battery pack.

Appreciate 0