BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #67
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I love how manufacturers make a hybrid/eco focused car, and your hear complaints that it looks like a shitbox (Prius, etc.) -- "why can't they just make these cars look good?"

Then BMW makes a gorgeous hybrid/eco focused sports car, and we hear the complaints "it looks too good for the performance! It should be faster! It should just be a supercar!"

Just goes to show, one can't make all the people happy, all the time.

Anyway, my fragile ego will certainly enjoy all that the i8 has to offer. Or since it's a fix, I guess after I get the i8, my ego won't be fragile anymore? Not sure how all that works but I'll take your word for it.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:37 AM   #68
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
I love how manufacturers make a hybrid/eco focused car, and your hear complaints that it looks like a shitbox (Prius, etc.) -- "why can't they just make these cars look good?"

Then BMW makes a gorgeous hybrid/eco focused sports car, and we hear the complaints "it looks too good for the performance! It should be faster! It should just be a supercar!"

Just goes to show, one can't make all the people happy, all the time.

Anyway, my fragile ego will certainly enjoy all that the i8 has to offer. Or since it's a fix, I guess after I get the i8, my ego won't be fragile anymore? Not sure how all that works but I'll take your word for it.

Haha well said actually. We'll never be happy, the current 320d is as fast accelerating as the E30 M3 and we're debating about whether a car that does 60 in 3.8 seconds and puts my 320d efficiency in the dark ages is good enough.

Hats off to BMW for an amazing and different attempt at something.

However saying that I stand by the notion there is a market for an M1/M8/M10 or whatever it'll be called.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #69
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
I can't afford a 918 but excuse me while I go waste my time and tell prospective buyers how a Tesla is better/cheaper and how fragile their egos are. I'm sure they will question their decision to buy and/or their existence.
:P

Last edited by Carac; 05-02-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #70
s2kroma
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
Bye bye Tesla...
Don't think so. Another car looking better than i8 is the 2015 NSX.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #71
StuM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8 Protonic Blue/Pure Impulse/

Garage List
What?

Since when did so many car hating trolls show up on these forums?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #72
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Since when did so many car hating trolls show up on these forums?
I think it's just disappointment that BMW didn't make a true supercar.

Regards of the motive power everyone has been yearning for BMW to engineer a true supercar for years and this is what they come up with?

It is sad because this thing is gonna be a sales flop / white elephant and BMW will then wait another 20 years before trying again.

What they should have done is offer a hybrid version of say the 6 series f12 to develop all the electric tech and used the dev resources and time to make the 8 series a true competitor to Audi R8 / Lambo Aventador / ferrari 458.

Another point: Driving a "supercar" (eg something super low with gull wing doors etc) is a compromise in daily use (poor visibility - hard suspension - low ground clearance - difficult to enter/exit because of height). You drive a supercar because you are prepared to compromise all of that because of the F%$k off performance. You don't drive it daily - you drive it to drive it.

Why then would anyone in their right mind want to compromise in the way they need to for a supercar but NOT have performance to make up for it? I hope I have articulated it - that is the point. Suffer all the downsides of supercar packaging and yet still have something that wont feel better to drive than an m3?

Also, all that analysis aside - and I am fanatical about BMWs - I think the i8 is Ugly. I have seen it in person - it's too busy - especially the rear.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #73
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
I think it's just disappointment that BMW didn't make a true supercar.
Then people are forgetting that this isn't from ///M. It's from the i division. That's like people getting mad that the Volt wasn't a Ford GT competitor.

Quote:
Regards of the motive power everyone has been yearning for BMW to engineer a true supercar for years and this is what they come up with?
BMW has started and cancelled their "true supercar program" many times in the past decade. The i8 is completely separate and not intended to be a all-out supercar. I never went into a math class in college expecting a biology exam. Don't expect a "efficiency and sustainability be damned" supercar out of BMW i.

Quote:
It is sad because this thing is gonna be a sales flop / white elephant and BMW will then wait another 20 years before trying again.
The wait list at some dealers is 20 people deep and that was before all the positive media coverage last week. I don't think sales will be a problem.

Quote:
What they should have done is offer a hybrid version of say the 6 series f12 to develop all the electric tech and used the dev resources and time to make the 8 series a true competitor to Audi R8 / Lambo Aventador / ferrari 458.
Yeah, because everyone loves a half-assed hybrid conversion of an existing car (hybrid X5/X6 that gets 1-2mpg more for 33% more money)

Quote:
Another point: Driving a "supercar" (eg something super low with gull wing doors etc) is a compromise in daily use (poor visibility - hard suspension - low ground clearance - difficult to enter/exit because of height). You drive a supercar because you are prepared to compromise all of that because of the F%$k off performance. You don't drive it daily - you drive it to drive it.
You're referring to things like the Countach, old-school Supercars. Modern ones are surprisingly easy to live with. They are just as crazy at the limit but aren't completely awful around town because they don't have to be anymore. They were like that in the past because they just didn't know better and didn't have the tech, design tools we have now.

Quote:
Why then would anyone in their right mind want to compromise in the way they need to for a supercar but NOT have performance to make up for it? I hope I have articulated it - that is the point. Suffer all the downsides of supercar packaging and yet still have something that wont feel better to drive than an m3?
...Because it's AWESOME? And just a heads up that this is going to be a 3rd, 4th, 40th car for some people who want something different. They have a 458, a Aventador, etc and want an electric/hybrid but most of their choices have been ugly, awful, and boring.

Quote:
Also, all that analysis aside - and I am fanatical about BMWs - I think the i8 is Ugly. I have seen it in person - it's too busy - especially the rear.
The rear is a little busy, but it's interesting and the rest of the car looks amazing, so it gets a pass from me.

Again, this isn't an M1 isn't being marketed as one. It's something new and different from BMW. And I can't wait to get mine in July/Sept/whenever they finally start deliveries.

Last edited by Carac; 05-03-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #74
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

I agree with @Carac on this one. I wish 'BMW enthusiasts' would stop dissing the i8 for something it isn't nor was never intended to be!
Half-baked and often ill-informed comments don't help any true potential purchaser of an i8 assess the merits and flaws of the i8.
However, I've noticed idiotic comments aren't limited to just on here though, as there are also dumb remarks in the comments sections on the press review websites.

As with Carac, the i8 won't be my only car. I already own supercars (and a regular, sensible car). I've ordered the i8 as it offers me something different, and can be used as my daily driver should that be how it pans out when it arrives.

Yes, I also agree the i8's rear is a little busy, but then so is the McLaren P1's rear! So this another reason why I've ordered my i8 in Sophisto Grey, as it helps to tone down some of the (perhaps) OTT styling features. It's not perfect, but nothing is, and it isn't a deal-breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #75
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
Bye bye Tesla...
WHY ???????????
Why not?
Would you still get the model S vs this
Don't get me wrong Tesla has a great product but there is a good chance that BMW with its heritage and $$$ behind it, will bring electric cars that are just as good if not better. Let's face it, model S is hideous

It's a electrical honda Accord. The i8 is light years ahead in design
I disagree. Model S is way ahead of this in power technology. It's also cheaper. I think tesla is a about to relapse their SUV and a coupe soon. Now imagine they come out with a carbon fiber model? It will beat anything with BMW logo on it.
While at the same time, BMW is loosing its image of a poor mans sports car and becoming more of a Honda, using your comparison.
      05-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #76
Pitkis
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: i8 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I disagree. Model S is way ahead of this in power technology. It's also cheaper. I think tesla is a about to relapse their SUV and a coupe soon. Now imagine they come out with a carbon fiber model? It will beat anything with BMW logo on it.
Why compare family sedan to i8? Do you compare F10 550 to Aventador? Or what's your point? Price of i8 is 1/6 of Porche 918, the only sportscar that is close to i8.

And, yes, I can imagine Tesla will come out with CF structures like i8...in 2025. Beats 2014 i8 for sure.
      05-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #77
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

Loved the Chris Harris review as always. He finished by saying the car was a "mighty achievement." He understands that BMW has done something that only well-financed and imaginative companies can do, which is truly explore the next-generation(s) of their products and the emerging marketplace.

I am a hardcore M fan/driver and yet I love the looks of this car. Looks are subjective and it is obvious that not everyone is pleased, but I think it is a fantastic first take on the technologies that will be finding their way into all BMW s over time. If technologies from this car and the new BMW-Toyota partnership can make my next M car or two that much better, I am all for it. They will also make all BMWs better and competitive to what is coming from other brands.

I also don't think this is necessarily a car for posers. Sure, there will always be some who buy it for that, but there are a great many within the BMW brand that want quality, luxury and to know that they are experiencing the latest that great thinking can deliver...within a brand they like and trust. This car is a stunning achievement in the current automotive marketplace. I would love to drive one and I suspect I will be getting good portions of it over time in my M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #78
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Hey I'm keeping my ///M too, no one says you can't have both an i and an M car simultaneously.

As for posers, well that can be said about practically any exotic car. In fact with the vast majority of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and R8s likely never seeing a racetrack, let alone being driven hard on one, the i8 might at least be more likely to be used to its full potential as an urban vehicle cruising in comfort mode and occasional canyon blasts (or here in Florida, freeway onramp attacks and spirited stints over all 3 corners in the whole state) in Sport mode
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #79
Hockey Guy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i, X5 35d

Agreed. Three vehicle family already so M over i...but in many respects I think the two eventually converge.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #80
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

This is the best DD sport car that you can get.
This is not a track car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #81
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
While at the same time, BMW is loosing its image of a poor mans sports car and becoming more of a Honda, using your comparison.
Refresh my memory? Does Tesla manufacture and produce their own Carbon Fibre? Or like everybody else do they have to outsource and pay much more than you would if done in house?
      05-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #82
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Refresh my memory? Does Tesla manufacture and produce their own Carbon Fibre? Or like everybody else do they have to outsource and pay much more than you would if done in house?
Fair point...

Will BMW put all that in house carbon fibre development to further good use and give us a 2016 M supercar car stablemate for the i8?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #83
Braap
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap View Post
Show of hands; how many people want to shell out $150k+ for a 'supercar' that can barely 'dust a WRX' through the canyons?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

idiot are you actually stupid

Plus the i8 does 0to60 in 3.8 sec.
Did you actually watch the video, sir? I was referring to Mr. Harris' comment, verbatim.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #84
Carac
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braap View Post
Did you actually watch the video, sir? I was referring to Mr. Harris' comment, verbatim.
Verbatim would be "out of the slower turns, the i8 leaves it for dead." I don't know where you got "barely"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #85
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

This car is a strong "proof of concept" car that seems to be excited well. BMW will learn a lot from this car and it wi help prep the market for more electric cars in the future from other companies besides telsa.

As for "bye bye Tesla", no way. As others have mentioned, this is a totally different car in a different class. Plus the telsa can seat 6 (if you have 2 kids like me)!

While BMW will be selling i3s for 40k, Tesla will be selling SUVs for ~50. Both companies will continue to thrive, but Tesla will still be the standard of the electric car community.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #86
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Stellar Review. Gorgeously shot, and so well communicated.

I don't think the i8 has ever looked nearly this good.

As someone who's not even been on the fence about this car (I never appreciated the look, the gimmicky blue accents throughout, the interior, etc)--I can safely say Chris converted me.

I want one.
      05-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #87
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Ehm... I dont think they use any...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #88
Tilum
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Ehm... I dont think they use any...
I think that was Scott's point, i.e. they don't, in which case, if they were to produce an electric car with CF (or CFRP) then they would have to buy the material in from elsewhere (as opposed to BMW who are making it in-house).
Appreciate 0