BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

03-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Apple CarPlay for i8?

Has anyone heard if the i8 will be compatible with the new CarPlay app that was recently announced by Apple? Sounds like it is the updated version of Siri eyes-free, which I understand some of the newer BMW's may already support. Please post if you have any info on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Has anyone heard if the i8 will be compatible with the new CarPlay app that was recently announced by Apple? Sounds like it is the updated version of Siri eyes-free, which I understand some of the newer BMW's may already support. Please post if you have any info on this.
I doubt it. The infotainment/nav system in the i8 appears to be highly customized for the specific purpose of conveying information unique to the i8 (notice the pictures of it in the Protonic Blue thread). It's been a point of focus for years of development. Parts are sourced and cars are about to start production (if they haven't already) so they won't be throwing it out at this point. It also requires a touchscreen. Ferrari, Mercedes, and Volvo were the only ones mentioned so far. If BMW was implementing it anytime soon, I'm confident they would be trumpeting their use of it. Don't get wrong. I'd love to see it, but it's probably not in the cards for the i8.

Last edited by Carac; 03-04-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

any insight into whether or not carplay will work in conjunction with existing systems?

or perhaps the i8 onboard computer could be shoved into an app on carplay?