08-08-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1, i3 BEV

Garage List
X5 to i3?

We are considering trading our X5 in for an i3. While the X5 has been great, it feels like a tad overkill for us at the moment. We don't have any children and rarely use the cargo space outside of a few trips to Ikea a year. On top of that, the majority of our daily travel is less than 10 miles roundtrip. We are considering the new X1, but I'm afraid it's going to have that cheap BMW feel to it. We would really just love something that can take a bit of a beating on beach days (guilt free), and is able to haul us and 3 big dogs in the city (not simultaneously).

Anyone have any input from a similar drop in capacity?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichighley
We are considering trading our X5 in for an i3. While the X5 has been great, it feels like a tad overkill for us at the moment. We don't have any children and rarely use the cargo space outside of a few trips to Ikea a year. On top of that, the majority of our daily travel is less than 10 miles roundtrip. We are considering the new X1, but I'm afraid it's going to have that cheap BMW feel to it. We would really just love something that can take a bit of a beating on beach days (guilt free), and is able to haul us and 3 big dogs in the city (not simultaneously).

Anyone have any input from a similar drop in capacity?
Why not get an extended test drive for a week. It will probably help you make a decision based on your needs better than anybody else. But I have had no issues and prefer the smaller footprint.

The back seats fold flat so you may be able to fit two of the big three dogs at a time. Unless their Great Danes or something .

If you feel it's overkill it probably is.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The i3, even with the REx, may not meet your needs for an occasional longer trip. While the REx can keep you going, stopping frequently (about once an hour) to refill the small fuel tank can get old, and your margin for error is small if the station you want ends up closed. I love my BEV, and my ICE only gets used infrequently, but I did keep it. If you don't want to consider keeping or getting an ICE, or renting one, or borrowing one for an occasional road trip, the i3 is a blast to drive. AT least operating costs are quite low compared to any ICE.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I don't think the X1 has a cheap feel to it. My daughter drives it most of the time, but when I have, it's felt like a BMW to me.

I've driven the i3 a bit (loaners) and it feels like no other BMWs. The regenerative braking for one slows the car when you simply take your foot of the accelerator pedal. Is that a "cheap" feel? Not sure. But it does remind me of an electric golf cart.

My i8 on the other hand reminds me of my old Z4. Very zippy, light and precise.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

To drive an i3 smoothly, one needs to learn to feather the pedal as it goes from driving, to coasting, to braking based on where in the travel you are with the pedal, allowing one-pedal driving. IOW, once you get the hang of it, you may rarely need to actually use the brakes. If you don't figure this out, the i3 is really tough to drive smoothly. Took me less than an hour, but I knew about it in advance, so had worked out what needed to be done in my mind beforehand. Someone new to it without forewarning, will find it really tough to drive smoothly as they may not realize that there IS a way to coast the car easily, but it's not like an ICE where you just take your foot off the pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

My uncle went from a diesel X5 to an X1 and ended up selling the X1 within the first 6 months. He said he didn't like the feel or the look.
      08-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #7
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e Copper i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
To drive an i3 smoothly, one needs to learn to feather the pedal as it goes from driving, to coasting, to braking based on where in the travel you are with the pedal, allowing one-pedal driving. IOW, once you get the hang of it, you may rarely need to actually use the brakes. If you don't figure this out, the i3 is really tough to drive smoothly. Took me less than an hour, but I knew about it in advance, so had worked out what needed to be done in my mind beforehand. Someone new to it without forewarning, will find it really tough to drive smoothly as they may not realize that there IS a way to coast the car easily, but it's not like an ICE where you just take your foot off the pedal.
I also will add try using Eco pro drive setting (at least at first) but disable the economy air conditioning in settings. It re curves the accelerator to be less extreme IMHO and makes for a more pleasant driving experience. The comfort mode in the i3 has a very excessive accelerator curve.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epirali View Post
I also will add try using Eco pro drive setting (at least at first) but disable the economy air conditioning in settings. It re curves the accelerator to be less extreme IMHO and makes for a more pleasant driving experience. The comfort mode in the i3 has a very excessive accelerator curve.
The curve on the i3 is definitely a personal thing...few complain about it. It depends on how you learned to drive and how smooth you are and how well you adapt once you learn the vehicle. When I was learning to drive way back when, the instructor placed a glass milk bottle on the floor board. Every time you knocked it over, you lost points for that day's driving. You can drive fast and turn, but you must be very smooth about it. Those lessons carried over...smoothness is learned, regardless of the car. Jab at the pedal, and it will jerk you around...an electric motor develops maximum torque at zero RPM with NO lag, unlike any ICE out there. It's all part of adapting to the EV experience. Some people experience virtually no difference in efficiency when switching to Eco modes because they are doing what the car does. To get the maximum benefit, though, you would have to also manually turn off some of the climate control, which the Eco modes control as part of the mode switch.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The curve on the i3 is definitely a personal thing...few complain about it. It depends on how you learned to drive and how smooth you are and how well you adapt once you learn the vehicle. When I was learning to drive way back when, the instructor placed a glass milk bottle on the floor board. Every time you knocked it over, you lost points for that day's driving. You can drive fast and turn, but you must be very smooth about it. Those lessons carried over...smoothness is learned, regardless of the car. Jab at the pedal, and it will jerk you around...an electric motor develops maximum torque at zero RPM with NO lag, unlike any ICE out there. It's all part of adapting to the EV experience. Some people experience virtually no difference in efficiency when switching to Eco modes because they are doing what the car does. To get the maximum benefit, though, you would have to also manually turn off some of the climate control, which the Eco modes control as part of the mode switch.
I agree on efficiency, but I like to think my driving skills are pretty good (and I have a high opinion of myself! )

But I do think the accelerator is unnecessarily touchy and Eco pro provides better driving experience. I know others like it, I was offering another option for test drive.

I also find no difference in efficiency based on mode (ignoring AC), it's all in the driving technique.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, how are you able to fit 2 adults and 3 large dogs into an i3? My 50lb dog seems like he will take up the back seat all by himself
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
OP, how are you able to fit 2 adults and 3 large dogs into an i3? My 50lb dog seems like he will take up the back seat all by himself
He mentioned not all would travel at the same time. Plus the rear seats fold down so the whole back compartment can be open, that would make a little more room.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
Epirali
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
He mentioned not all would travel at the same time. Plus the rear seats fold down so the whole back compartment can be open, that would make a little more room.
I don't have dogs, but I have gotten 2 adults and FIVE large suitcases in the back with the rear seats folded. So depending on how large the dog really is that should be just fine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_(dog)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #13
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interesting discussion. Have you considered the X5 40e? Best of both worlds potentially. It was the i3 that made me look at the 40e, for similar reasons to yours.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
We drove an i3 about a year ago when shopping my GC (the i3 was originally what we wanted but at that time BMW was being a little optimistic on their rate outlook). I think at that time, the i3 was their shiny new baby and they wanted a similar monthly when compared to an F36. That was disappointing for me, because I really love the styling of the i3 and found the drive to be quite unique as well. We have a ton of dealership options down here in the Bay Area, so I think it's time to play them against themselves on a nice white i3. Now the only question is BEV or REx...?

And yes, the dogs really are that big...they come in at 50, 60, and 110 pounds.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
erichighley
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5plug-in
Interesting discussion. Have you considered the X5 40e? Best of both worlds potentially. It was the i3 that made me look at the 40e, for similar reasons to yours.
I've had my eye on the 40e for a while now. My only concern with that is it's still a big car. Plus, by the time we get done ticking all the boxes we are looking at $80k+ for a car we can't fully utilize. I think down the road, when kids come along, that's what we will be looking at.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fair point. Kids do come along fast tho! And in an X5 (unlike an i3) you could even make them!

More seriously, the lack of boot space when passengers are on board makes the i3 impossible for airport runs. There are also the safety issues of a solid car with a high driving position.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The NHTSA has not crash tested an i3, but the vehicle has been tested to European standards. It would have achieved maximum rating if it had the pedestrian warning system (not available in the USA) and backup camera as standard equipment...IOW, it got dinged from that top spot for lacking them as standard, but in actual crash worthiness, it was top notch.

You cannot fight the laws of physics, though, it's a relatively light-weight car, and small...a fight with a much larger vehicle, and no amount of air bags or crush zone will protect you.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #18
SuprMario
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC.

Quote:
You cannot fight the laws of physics, though, it's a relatively light-weight car, and small...a fight with a much larger vehicle, and no amount of air bags or crush zone will protect you.
Speaking of physics, Carbon Fiber has a much higher tensile strength compared to steel. Furthermore, the i3's LifeModule is constructed so that collision energy travels around the module and not through it.

Aside from that, something to really consider when thinking about getting into an i3, is utilizing the Flexible Mobility Program should you ever need to take long trips or need to haul large items around.

Take an i3 Extended Test Drive and see how it fits firsthand into your current lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 11:09 PM   #19
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprMario View Post
Speaking of physics, Carbon Fiber has a much higher tensile strength compared to steel. Furthermore, the i3's LifeModule is constructed so that collision energy travels around the module and not through it.

Aside from that, something to really consider when thinking about getting into an i3, is utilizing the Flexible Mobility Program should you ever need to take long trips or need to haul large items around.

Take an i3 Extended Test Drive and see how it fits firsthand into your current lifestyle.
I've had an i3 for over a year, so I have a fair idea. An i3 against say a Chevy Suburban, and the i3 would lose...there's something about 3-4x the weight that makes a difference. Energy doesn't magically go away, it creates a reaction...in my example, punting the i3 aside or crushing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
SuprMario
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've had an i3 for over a year, so I have a fair idea. An i3 against say a Chevy Suburban, and the i3 would lose...there's something about 3-4x the weight that makes a difference. Energy doesn't magically go away, it creates a reaction...in my example, punting the i3 aside or crushing it.
That goes with any small car versus a larger vehicle, my point is that the i3 is intrinsically safer and likely to perform better in a collision than any vehicle comparable in weight and class. Although the i3 is lightweight, the vehicle's cabin structure is stronger than a vehicle that weighs more.

Carbon Fiber > Steel
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #21
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprMario View Post
That goes with any small car versus a larger vehicle, my point is that the i3 is intrinsically safer and likely to perform better in a collision than any vehicle comparable in weight and class. Although the i3 is lightweight, the vehicle's cabin structure is stronger than a vehicle that weighs more.

Carbon Fiber > Steel
And, is exactly what I said in the original post...so why blather on?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #22
SuprMario
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And, is exactly what I said in the original post...so why blather on?
Agreed. In retrospect, I should have disclosed in my comment that I was adding to your point in regards to the i3's top notch safety.
Appreciate 0